Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Volundio: Divergent Sword Saga is a series by Nanao Nanaki, the author of Helck. If you're familiar with Helck, then you'll definitely feel right at home with Volundio. If you're not familiar with Helck, I highly recommend reading it before starting in on Volundio. It was the author's breakout work and will help you appreciate their storytelling and how they do things in this series, I believe. Set in a destroyed world, where users of unbelievably powerful swords with magical enhancements bring ruin to civilization after civilization every time one rises up, a lowly mercenary named Cleo meets a demihuman named Kohaku, and starts a bar in the middle of nowhere among the abandoned ruins of an old fortress. You're welcome to come and stay a while, and have a drink while you're here!

main characters:

Cleo(how he wishes he was)

Cleo(how he actually is)

Kohaku

Poffy!

have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This has been fun even if comikey has made it a miserable experience to keep up with. Better hope you don't fall behind by what sometimes feels like just a few hours lest the latest chapter gets banished into the paywall ether.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah comikey isn't great but honestly it's not that bad either. I've put like 20 bucks in and been able to read two entire series I follow(this and smoking behind the supermarket) and still have enough keys for 30 more chapters or so I think.

Also, speaking about current chapters, IMO it is never a good feeling when a chapter is titled "prologue" because that instantly makes every single character in the series expendable. as exemplified

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 8, 2023

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i think this has been a big improvement from helck, which was already pretty good

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

the general pacing of this series is such a big deviation from the more adventure-esque setting of helck and i really appreciate that because cleo buildin' a home rules

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
are comikey ever going to put out regular releases (digital or physical) because the Jump app has made me intolerant of herky jerk manga services

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Wow. This manga is pretty neat. Also it forced an intense physical reaction from me that was actual years in the making.

EXTREME SPOILERS FOR THIS MANGA AND the previous one

For-real loving chills up and down my spine. Did not expect that. Goddamn.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah that's got 'Queen mentioning Determination in Deltarune Chapter 2' levels of worrying returns of phrase.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
new chapter
Kohaku should have probably worded her advice to Cleo a bit more carefully

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm glad taurobe is tagging along, at least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Aaah, so it's like that, huh

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
RIP the inn

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I definitely thought/hoped the comic would be a lot more focused on that but it just shifted wildly huh.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Soooooo it's been on hiatus for months now, any word on when it'll be back? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
If you want something to fill the gap during the hiatus, I'm finally getting around to watching the Helck anime and it's been a good time so far. I'm hoping it'll get picked up for another season (or a third and fourth cour if you count things that way).

I'll check out this manga next to hopefully have another good time!