Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

If you enjoyed High Noon from the movie club, or looking for westerns recommendations in general, these are a few I recommend:

I mentioned this one in the movie club thread. It's from 1950, so it can be a bit hokey at times. Gregory Peck is on the run, but has to make a quick stop in town to see an old flame. Don't worry, he has plenty of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGYoChoijvY
In the late 50s, Budd Boetticher directed a string of westerns starring Randolph Scott and this one is probably my favorite. Richard Boone, better known as Paladin from Have Gun Will Travel, plays the villain.

Lee Marvin won an Oscar for his performance in this western comedy. Nat King Cole appears throughout the film in like a Greek chorus framing device.

If you're looking for a violent spaghetti western, then The Great Silence is one of my favorites. I was stunned by the ending the first time I saw it.

There are plenty of great westerns out there. The problem is there are thousands of westerns, and probably 95% of them are terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

more of a Days Inn man myself if i gotta go economical

e: misunderstood. apologies

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

more of a Days Inn man myself if i gotta go economical

e: misunderstood. apologies

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

havent watched many hayes code or pre-code westerns but i fuckin love spaghettis and some modern westerns.

some personal recs:

stagecoach: basically the first action movie, invented all the cool shots and lots of the early gimmicks. kind of racist, john wayne is a hack, but hell if you didnt have this you wouldnt have terminator. real good poo poo

dollars trilogy: utterly indispensable. i like a few dollars more best (objectively wrong opinion) but it and the good the bad and the ugly are absolutely godlike. also definitely watch yojimbo before a fistful of dollars

once upon a time in the west: the other incredible leone western. absolutely fuckin majestic, super cool

the wild bunch: closest we're ever going to get to a blood meridian movie. the ending is still jaw-dropping

power of the dog: best original western made in the last 25 years. jesse plemons rules, cumberbatch is actually a fuckin good actor

true grit (remake): coen brothers. incredible.

unforgiven: really fuckin good, says the quiet part of most westerns loud

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

The True Grit remake is really loving good. The original is pretty decent, but it's an example of when the remake outshines the original.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

herculon posted:

The True Grit remake is really loving good. The original is pretty decent, but it's an example of when the remake outshines the original.

absolutely. originals just a good john wayne flick, remake is vastly better

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The original 1960 Magnificent Seven is probably my favorite. It’s an official licensed remake of Seven Samurai so there’s plenty of fun action scenes, a really great cast led by Yul Brynner, and lots of iconic lines and moments. I still regularly think about the Mexican village elder’s parable about a drunk who stumbled off the roof of a tall building and was heard by the people inside saying “so far, so good” every time he passed a window on the way down.

For a more recent one I really liked Ti West’s In a Valley of Violence with Ethan Hawke and John Travolta, I never really hear it get talked about and had never heard of it until I happened to stumble on it while scrolling mindlessly through Netflix one day but it’s a cool little revenge tale, one of those movies that feels like it stripped the genre down to just its essentials and is better for it, just pure distilled western revenge drama centered around a handful of actors putting in killer performances.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

good hotel chain, mayble slightly overpriced but they are everywhere.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I missed symbolics post

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I missed symbolics post

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Fungah! posted:

dollars trilogy: utterly indispensable. i like a few dollars more best (objectively wrong opinion) but it and the good the bad and the ugly are absolutely godlike. also definitely watch yojimbo before a fistful of dollars

I share this opinion, a few dollars more gets the scale of the conflict just right, and putting Eastwood and van cleef on the same team is very satisfying

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The Frisco Kid isn't a masterpiece of cinema or anything but I think it's a really fun movie. Features Gene Wilder as a rabbi who teams up with lovable rascal cowboy Harrison Ford. Nobody seems to know about this movie so I've made it my mission to tell people

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

more of a comfort inn main myself

edit: gently caress

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

trying to jack off posted:

more of a comfort inn main myself

edit: gently caress

You might like Australia, staring Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

There’s also Quigley Down Under which is solid and has Alan Rickman as a cool sneering villain

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

herculon posted:

You might like Australia, staring Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman

you cant trick me into watching a baz luhrmann film

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I don't have much to recommend that hasn't been mentioned already, but definitely watch:

Old Henry - a chamber play by the standards of most westerns, but great shootouts

Deadwood - obviously

The Good, the Bad, and the Weird - Korean western set in Japanese-occupied Manchuria that can't quite decide if it's a parody or a tribute

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
oh drat, also, better than all three of those: The Proposition, an Australian movie where the colonial police take youngest of three outlaw brothers hostage to force the middle brother to kill the oldest. It's got Guy Pearce, Emily Watson, John Hurt, and Mr French from The Departed

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

brisco county junior is much better show than any description of it implies it will be imo

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Mekchu posted:

brisco county junior is much better show than any description of it implies it will be imo

yeah shame it only got one season

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not a bad opening theme song too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--2FWpjxhnE

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bone Tomahawk is a pretty wild recent western movie that really sticks out in my mind

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

budd dwyer thought posted:

I don't have much to recommend that hasn't been mentioned already, but definitely watch:

Old Henry - a chamber play by the standards of most westerns, but great shootouts

Deadwood - obviously

The Good, the Bad, and the Weird - Korean western set in Japanese-occupied Manchuria that can't quite decide if it's a parody or a tribute

The good the bad the weird kicks rear end! One of the best action movies of the 00s

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

budd dwyer thought posted:

if you don't watch it, at least watch this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1fa0jmHDpY

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 11, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Duck, You Sucker! Aka Fistful of Dynamite is a personal fav of mine. Also love Django

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Also love Django

:hai:

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Criterion Channel added The Quick and the Dead. Not based on the Louis L’Amour novel. Definitely worth a watch if you haven’t seen it. Sam Raimi really went overboard on the Sam Raimi style with this film.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

herculon posted:

Criterion Channel added The Quick and the Dead. Not based on the Louis L’Amour novel. Definitely worth a watch if you haven’t seen it. Sam Raimi really went overboard on the Sam Raimi style with this film.

Sharon stone has the coolest jacket in that movie.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Quick and the Dead is godamn awesome

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Duck, You Sucker! Aka Fistful of Dynamite is a personal fav of mine. Also love Django

django is incredibly win. also one of the fake sequels, django kill… if you live, shoot! is really good too.

the price of power is a kind of good one. it’s a western take on the kennedy assassination, where it’s ostensibly about the assassination of president james garfield but it’s very very clearly about jfk. it’s both a lot of fun and interminably boring after the first hour

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

For a good recent Western check out The Old Way. It came out this year and it stars Nicolas Cage in a Western take on a Lone Wolf and Cub style story. It also features an interesting twist in that Nicolas Cage and his daughter are autistic.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The Wild Bunch, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, El Dorado, Stagecoach, Fistful of Dollars, The Shootist, The Professionals, Sabata, True Grit (either version).

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 21, 2023

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I have a soft spot for Rancho Notorious, lots of Freudian overtones.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

bumping due to annoying my wife whistling my rifle my pony and me constantly after buying a japanese release of the album from the best western imo: rio bravo

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
you hear the king krule cover?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0oRyb9NPm8

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

no. that sax is sick though ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Jenny Agutter posted:

I share this opinion, a few dollars more gets the scale of the conflict just right, and putting Eastwood and van cleef on the same team is very satisfying

Gian Maria Volonte is loving amazing as Indio and you've got Klaus Kinski as a gunslinger as well, it's such a great goddamn movie and my favorite of the trilogy as well.

ty Saoshyant!