Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Taylor Swift's bombastic concert which has earned her a few billion dollars is coming to Theaters this weekend Oct 13th. It may break box office records.

Let's discuss our experience.

I have bought tickets Oct 15th this Sunday.

I expect pleasure and pain as if it were Hellraiser and Pinhead came before me to experience sights, sounds, pleasure and pain like nothing I have thus far....

Gatts fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm going to watch the Birthday Party documentary instead

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Memes don't do much to me nowadays but this made me twitch and frown

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Saw this friday afternoon, fun time but the cinematography is nothing special - if you've seen a festival on TV then you've seen this for the most part. Here's what I put on Letterboxd:

quote:

She should have done a song from Cats (2019), in fact Cats should have been an Era and Taylor should have been dressed as her cat (Bombalurina). On this I am unshakeable.

Otherwise, gosh Taylor does go up and down an awful lot on that stage lift. She never stops. There's an inherent tension with this kind of film where the artistic design has gone into the staging which is then dulled or elided by the camera work, which even with the best intentions isn't always in tune with it. There's multiple shots where the stage changes while the shot is static and it's weird every time, but to fix it would probably mean losing the 'real life show' conceit.

The staging is fantastic though, as you might expect. Taylor Swift dances on a huge LED promenade in front of an LED stage to make the Mandolorian weep, the whole design of which changes (and is supplemented by a variety of stage objects and costuming for Swift and the dancers) for each Era. It's a huge undertaking and what was presumably a slick operation live is made almost seamless by the addition of movie magic.

The teenage kids in the theatre went absolutely loving nuts for the critically maligned Reputation, which I've always had a bit of a soft spot for anyway. 1989 was the highlight, as you might expect, and also had the only camera work bold enough to make Swift look like a giant astride the world of men. Odd given that a later song has that exact image explicitly. The 'Eras' conceit means it all has to end with the most recent album rather than the biggest hits, but by that point I was getting a little sleepy anyway so hey-ho. A good time was had by all.

oh Taylor has a lightsaber at one point btw so this is a Star War now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Just came home from this and I had a blast. It was a really good experience, loved the music, loved the huge screen and sound, and while I'll agree maybe the cinematography is nothing special, the actual content of the concert and how larger than life Taylor looked was great as was the stage and settings. My theater had the kids dancing and singing along at times.

Good times.