Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Torquemada posted:

Having had to endure bankruptcy and avoid jail because of tax evasion, I now recommend everyone pays their taxes in a timely manner.

i never thought about it but i would assume tax liability cant be discharged in bankruptcy?

then again the IRS absolutely will make deals with you as in "okay give us literally all your money and we'll call it even"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Tomfoolery posted:

How much do you tip your IRS auditor? Is it like an extra $5, or do you do 10% of your return?

20%, minimum

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

eSports Chaebol posted:

i never thought about it but i would assume tax liability cant be discharged in bankruptcy?

It can in the UK. After my malfeasance was discovered, I had to endure a fairly lengthy period of waiting for the Inland Revenue (UK version of the IRS) to determine my total liabilities. When an exact amount was settled upon, they made a formal demand for payment, which in order to save money, I ignored for an additional period, until the Inland Revenue applied to have me bankrupted. I could have declared myself bankrupt earlier than that, but it costs money.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The IRS sent a kill team to my house when I owed them 20k. I had a futuristic weapon that fired through the walls like in the movie Eraser. They came with a bunch of fridges so I was defeated

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Torquemada posted:

It can in the UK. After my malfeasance was discovered, I had to endure a fairly lengthy period of waiting for the Inland Revenue (UK version of the IRS) to determine my total liabilities. When an exact amount was settled upon, they made a formal demand for payment, which in order to save money, I ignored for an additional period, until the Inland Revenue applied to have me bankrupted. I could have declared myself bankrupt earlier than that, but it costs money.

do you get to stay in the Tower of London while you wait im p sure thats how it works over there

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

eSports Chaebol posted:

then again the IRS absolutely will make deals with you as in "okay give us literally all your money and we'll call it even"

They can in theory, but there are a lot of restrictions and it has to be a pretty old liability. Easier than student loans though, at least in the US.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Tomfoolery posted:

How much do you tip your IRS auditor? Is it like an extra $5, or do you do 10% of your return?

No money because they'll owe taxes on it, idiot

Weed and beej

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Just fill out your 1099, it's not that hard ya big dummy.

Your probably boned now because you didn't, dipshit.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Oh if you didn't withhold correctly you in a world of pain OP and if you don't file for a payment plan like immediately they are going to wreck your world

100% OP did this purposely and is mad that he got caught red-handed in the commission of a financial crime and decided to tell the Something Awful forums about it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

As a self-employed person, let me tell ya, taxes are

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

kinda feel like this thread is a humble brag from OP y'know?

like, "look how much tax i owe that means i make lots of money hehehe"

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Inevitably "what do you mean, you can't live like a civilised person on less than 500k, I touch computers'

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

kinda feel like this thread is a humble brag from OP y'know?

like, "look how much tax i owe that means i make lots of money hehehe"

*immediately makes $10K payment*

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Let us know how your payments renegotiation interview goes, OP. If the Tax Officer says they're going for a toilet break during discussions, be sure to loudly abuse them for wanting to do it on work time, go into your full Karen act until they swear to hold in their poop and pee til 5PM.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

dsf posted:

my father was in a very similar situation last year that only finally got resolved when he and his accountant sent a letter to his local representative explaining the situation. might be worth a try at least.

The "state" tax authority in question is Puerto Rico. They have no representation in Congress, so I'm truly hosed!! Looks like I'll have to write to the rest of Congress to ask them to put the screws on our colony for this outrage

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

You know you can tax the IRS back right? Account for the income that they didn't collect and the public works they didn't fund which would have avoided a piece of overpass falling through your windshield or a person stealing your kidney? It just takes a lawyer.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Is it true that in the states that you can move away from a state and they will continue to attempt to tax you with state taxes or fine you for not filing despite not living there?

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Tarkus posted:

Is it true that in the states that you can move away from a state and they will continue to attempt to tax you with state taxes or fine you for not filing despite not living there?

Yes, but only if you lived or worked in that state over a period of 3 months.

The paperwork they send is very clearly defined

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Mrs. Genesplicer and I always have extra deducted from our paychecks. It's an easy way of guaranteeing that we won't need to pay, plus getting a nice refund before the summer is a bonus. (Teachers do not get paid for the months they do not work.)

Thanks to Trump's "Tax cuts" our tax bill went up substantially, and our refund was cut by over $7,000.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

why would you pay extra just to get it refunded back? you could earn some interest on that $7k or whatever amount throughout the year if you paid the right amount instead of overpaying

getting a refund is not ideal, though sometimes unavoidable if you can’t plan in large credits

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Bad Purchase posted:

why would you pay extra just to get it refunded back? you could earn some interest on that $7k or whatever amount throughout the year if you paid the right amount instead of overpaying

getting a refund is not ideal, though sometimes unavoidable if you can’t plan in large credits

This is true, but the peace of mind is worth it to me.

I also work for the government, and often have my pay screwed up, so having a larger amount deducted makes the ridiculous pay fluctuations easier to stomach come tax time.

I also pay my bills like 2 months in advance, so I recognize I may just be neurotic.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The IRS sent a kill team to my house when I owed them 20k. I had a futuristic weapon that fired through the walls like in the movie Eraser. They came with a bunch of fridges so I was defeated

This is why revenue agents carry guns and why the IRS needs 87,000 of them

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It’s a super smart and the fact it’s still used despite the prevalence of gps and other satellite-based location systems.

What?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Bad Purchase posted:

Getting a refund isn't "ideal" in a beep boop way but for a lot of people's actual life it certainly is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I overpay so I know that I can use my refund to do major purchases at the beginning of the year instead of scrambling around and trying to make ends meet at the last second.

Like yeah sure, I COULD do that and make it work, but it's better to have that safety net in place.