Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Silver Alicorn posted:

this is literally what I'm doing atm right now

except the static generator is me, directly editing html on github

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I tried setting up a bloggy thing with “Hugo” and it’s a pos

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Silver Alicorn posted:

I tried setting up a bloggy thing with “Hugo” and it’s a pos

if ever I was to redo mine, I would remind myself that a web site can just be a bunch of files

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://neocities.org/ :hmmyes:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Dijkstracula posted:

if ever I was to redo mine, I would remind myself that a web site can just be a bunch of files

you had me at "huge knot"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
lol if your webserver serves anything that isn't static files

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

I often think about how my life would have gone differently if, in ~2010, I had actually started that "cgi-bin as a service" startup and beaten the whole serverless craze by half a decade

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
host all your poo poo on the free tier of cloudflare and oracle cloud

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m using GitHub pages ok???!!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

sorry. that was uncalled for

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I had a thing going with Hugo that worked with the localist test server but when I uploaded it to GitHub the css didn’t work because it was doing some kinda fingerprinting thing, and I couldn’t figure out how to disable it with the theme I was using. maybe I’ll figure out on the weekend

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

it can just be files!!! *posts a bunch of shell scripts*

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
people hated frames but you could use them to put up a static website with a menu pretty easily without having to use a site generator

adding a new page? just update the frame that holds the menu as well and you're all good

I get they were a usability/accessibility nightmare tho

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I know there was some early discussion one whether to have #include in html or not, instead you have to run a whole rear end cms if you want to update one thing on multiple pages

I think a lot of it was not wanting to have circular or infinite references, something that happened frequently with frames early on

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the two big mistakes with html were telling browsers to do their best with malformed files instead of showing an error and displaying nothing, and listening to the whims of graphic designers who poo poo themselves and write five pages of javascript and css hacks if a shadow on a bevel gets anti-aliased slightly differently in two versions of the same browser

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

people hated frames but you could use them to put up a static website with a menu pretty easily without having to use a site generator

adding a new page? just update the frame that holds the menu as well and you're all good

I get they were a usability/accessibility nightmare tho

frames were great. I get why you dont want them on big commercial sites but frames were great.

like javadocs suck now that theres no frames. That poo poo worked great.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

say “great” some more, rotor

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

frames were great.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

git apologist posted:

it can just be files!!! *posts a bunch of shell scripts*

idk I still think a single shell script that u write yourself, and a bunch of files, is morally just a bunch of files

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Dijkstracula posted:

idk I still think a single shell script that u write yourself, and a bunch of files, is morally just a bunch of files

agreed

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

my blog is a bunch of generated static html files on a static host.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sweevo posted:

the two big mistakes with html were telling browsers to do their best with malformed files instead of showing an error and displaying nothing, and listening to the whims of graphic designers who poo poo themselves and write five pages of javascript and css hacks if a shadow on a bevel gets anti-aliased slightly differently in two versions of the same browser

this is patently false, what happened is designers asked for a bunch of common patterns and the css group recreated a bunch of sgml and framemaker features instead of letting people easily do basic layouts and display features

the megabytes of hacky javascript are everyone’s fault, plenty of blame to spread around there

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

flash was mostly the fault of designers, along with ad/marketing folks who say things like “delight” and “engagement”

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

laughing at the idea of any 90s/00s tech company where the designers had the juice to “force” the developers to do anything, even show up to a necessary meeting, just a hilarious concept

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

qirex posted:

laughing at the idea of any 90s/00s tech company where the designers had the juice to “force” the developers to do anything, even show up to a necessary meeting, just a hilarious concept

rounding up all the C programmers in Multimedia Gulch and forcing them to wear dunce caps in non-web colours

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the css working group was so hilariously awful. Simple loving box model? 15 years.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
reminder that IE ignored the bad box model from the start and did the correct thing but web "developers" complained and made them change it.

Netscape and its descendants did early, irreparable harm to the web.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Shaggar posted:

reminder that IE ignored the bad box model from the start and did the correct thing but web "developers" complained and made them change it.

Netscape and its descendants did early, irreparable harm to the web.

web developers are smarter than you

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

aight I got a hugo theme working, this one is a lot more simplistic than the last one so it's easier to figure out and modify.

https://www.cosmosporia.com/

the guestbook is back, if anyone wants to try signing it : )

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
I should add frames to my blog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
needs more flashing “under construction” gifs, op