Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Xaris posted:

social media is fundamentally bad whether it’s timeline or algo but algo is definitely worse. however, it’s better for shoveling ads into eyeballs and cybernetic propaganda and influencing. hence it’s here to stay

this is a hot take but I think Reddit has way more potential than even SA because it can be neatly discretized into niches and “topic subs”, like let’s say the cspam [BOOKS] thread moved at 1000 posts per hour, instead it’d be its own sub and then sub-discussions neatly in threads. however, and this is a big one, it’s entirely ruined by the updoot and rating-based nested-posting. that just absolutely destroys it dead in the tracks. so welp

still better than discord aids (unless it’s used exclusively for MP gaming or chatting with <5 friends using it like AIM-ICQ)

maybe im just too retarded but reddit conversation threading is the worst poo poo imaginable, even if you strip away the voting mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I'm a broken record about this but one of the core problems with social media in general is that it is explicitly configured to make you feel like engaging with it is doing something. This is especially true for the political arena because it acts as a perfect sop for broad popular animus in a time where we have nearly zero actual political power. It is capital capturing and marketizing the impulse to act against it.

obviously it is imperfect and there is some degree to which social media can transmit anti-capitalist sentiment, but it is attenuated by the mechanics of the platform: you feel like in transmitting the message you engaged in political action. Your retransmission, you assume, reaches ears that are going to Do Something About It. Even if you know intellectually that this is the case, you'll feel otherwise to some degree, because these platforms are designed to promote that feeling within you.

This, obviously, has spilled over into SA and pretty much all internet-mediated human interaction, and I'm just as guilty as anyone in feeling that my posts mean something so I'm not trying to chide anyone here, but I think it is obvious that the best and healthiest way to engage with any online space is a place to hang out and have fun posting with your posting pals, full stop. SA, twitter, discord, whatever -- the only thing you should use it for is having fun and the only people you should ever post to and with are your buds, anything else feeds you back into the algorithmic skinner box.

I don't mean all you should ever do is shitpost or make jokes. I think it's good to post earnestly about things that concern you, or your sincere interests, your hopes, dreams, etc, but the only audience you should ever seek is the group of people who are also trying to have fun and hang out with you online. The only interaction you should have with the freaks and sickos is to laugh and hoot at them with your friends.

captainbananas posted:

maybe im just too retarded but reddit conversation threading is the worst poo poo imaginable, even if you strip away the voting mechanics

I agree with this. Reddit could have been the synthesis between forums and twitter culture but threading is miserable and always has been, back to the fuckin bss/mailserv days

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

captainbananas posted:

it's good if it's for the kind of thread where you want to see the most helpful replies immediately, but it's horrible for trying to have an actual conversation

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

captainbananas posted:

It sucks poo poo, yeah. Forces you to read dumb tangents about misspellings or fan theories instead of content too, absolutely terrible.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Srice posted:

it's good if it's for the kind of thread where you want to see the most helpful replies immediately, but it's horrible for trying to have an actual conversation

yeah, exactly.

I was going to mention reddit as a structure that could have worked at giant scales but ended up being... reddit

between the adversarial relationship between the subreddits and the owners at times, and all the other fuckery that can happen on subreddit staffs, it's almost like the "50 different states 50 different laws" aspect of America lol

i've always hated threaded replies though.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

captainbananas posted:

yeah it is. that is what I was intending to be referring to. I was mostly lamenting because it could be good

the biggest issue with SA is that it’s like 3 dozen of us posters left. and still dropping (rip ckf, croup)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!
rip ckf, he just has the ability to turn it on in a way ive never seen before. incredible posters energy. imo the huge problem is that ckf was allowed to cook by all of the moderators in cspam it wasnt until he was given a sixer and told to knock it off did it become a huge problem for the admins

same with croup's thread. he didnt even post a thread accusing people of being a pedophile he said hey since its ok for these two posters to make this accusation for some reason, if something isnt done im going to accuse them. mods could have done something or just said shut the gently caress up and gassed the thread but they still just let it happen

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 minutes!
the problem with ckf is admins are fuckers

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Al! posted:

rip ckf, he just has the ability to turn it on in a way ive never seen before. incredible posters energy. imo the huge problem is that ckf was allowed to cook by all of the moderators in cspam it wasnt until he was given a sixer and told to knock it off did it become a huge problem for the admins

same with croup's thread. he didnt even post a thread accusing people of being a pedophile he said hey since its ok for these two posters to make this accusation for some reason, if something isnt done im going to accuse them. mods could have done something or just said shut the gently caress up and gassed the thread but they still just let it happen

free cumshitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022
Interesting what a gay thread.

I had literally never posted on any social media before I stopped lurking here and started making an embarrassment of myself. Luckily it went entirely unnoticed.

the concept of
is almost entirely alien to me.

I like the feeling of levity and release the posting brings, especially wrt grave topics, and the rare occasion where you get to bounce of other people on a similar wavelength (imagined or real) feels pretty good, but I should really just return to lurking this strange place and documenting the occasional insightful sources/funny contributions made by those with more aptitude for it than myself.

I do like this place though, despite all the problems. It's by no means serious; just slightly annoying, and that is as benevolent a metastasized affliction can be.

two-time fee has issued a correction as of 21:11 on Oct 23, 2023