Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
He doesn't exist for gameplay purposes! The game just dumped him for me as soon as actual party members came on.

:siren: Part 17: LOVE Assistant :siren:
:siren: Part 17B: The Dates :siren:

With that, we have finally seen all the ~romantic~ content that this game has to offer. Which one of these lovely contestants will get to be our beloved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LPFinale
Dec 8, 2019
...is it just me or were Yuna and Min's dates awfully similar?

"You're not doing this with anyone else, right?"

"I want you to keep looking at me"

Heck, even Sia leaned into the latter a little bit.

Meanwhile, Yohan gets his own material. A-grade material, at that.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I'd have thought that Sia's confession would have taken place near the heart model as soon as I saw them go to the science museum.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Maigius posted:

I'd have thought that Sia's confession would have taken place near the heart model as soon as I saw them go to the science museum.

That would require the game to have an in-game model of an anatomically correct heart which was never going to happen.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
One scene: "Hey so I almost killed 500 people by creating a wormhole."

Next scene: Passionate romance.

This game...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Nice boat train.

What's funny is there is manga turned anime that does Sia's schtick so much better. It's called Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove It.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I think for Sia's science shtick to work and be endearing, she has to be not so... repulsive. Literally all her personality beats outside science are her being rather self-centered and selfish, it's not really workable.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Honestly, Sia doesn't seem interested in romance at all. At best she's a workaholic and at...uh, "worst" is the wrong word here but at the other end of that scale she just strikes me as full on aromantic/asexual. Is that what the devs were going for? Probably not! But who knows. She definitely has absolutely no chemistry with our boy Yajirobe at all.

:siren: Part 18: The Cannon :siren:

It's time for the endgame, and the plot twist that everyone saw coming from a billion miles away.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Suddenly random QTE's update, also that was a really thick looking polaroid photo.

A bit late, but I really don't like how wobbly the camera is during cutscenes. It's annoying that no shot can seemingly be stable for no real reason.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 23, 2023

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Artix posted:

Honestly, Sia doesn't seem interested in romance at all. At best she's a workaholic and at...uh, "worst" is the wrong word here but at the other end of that scale she just strikes me as full on aromantic/asexual. Is that what the devs were going for? Probably not! But who knows. She definitely has absolutely no chemistry with our boy Yajirobe at all.

I believe Aria is what you are describing, though Sia definitely falls pretty close. Sia is a workaholic, but a big part of her social link and background is about getting her doing other things aside from her work, such as play games or romance. Aside from that, Sia does respond kindly to the main character's flirtatious dialogue, though I do agree that she definitely has absolutely no chemistry with the main character.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 19: Umbra :siren:

Merry Christmas goons! I got you the thing you've been asking for all season: the end of Eternights!

Sorry, what's that? "This gift sucks, Artix"? Well, just for you, I have a follow up video in which we dramatically read reviews from people who obviously played a completely different game than we did.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ah yes, the final boss fight that is a perfect storm of "gently caress it, throw something together" and "We don't have time for playtesting".

And the lack iframes is what killed my interest in playing Space Marine, so yeah, I can understand the pain.

I see they didn't even bother with at least some moderately decent lip syncing for the anime section.

...Wait. THAT WAS IT?! :what:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 25, 2023

LPFinale
Dec 8, 2019
Welp. There goes the only above-average character. poo poo.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wow, I didn't expect Eunji to show up again, especially actually in a cutscene instead of just a "oh yeah she recovered" line at the epilogue.

As for the rest, well, I've been told that if you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all. Johan's writing sure as hell saved the experience.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
This final boss very much took inspiration from the final boss of Persona 5 Royal.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I, too, want to know what game everyone writing those reviews was playing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Going by video views, it's telling that more people want to see us just poo poo on the game post mortem rather than actuly see the ending of it for themselves.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I can't help but think that Yohan and Yajirobe cutting to one or the other for the majority of their scene is meant to allow for any of the love interests to be pasted on the other side, since it's not like Yajirobe says anything specific to Yohan either.

I can't bring myself to see the review video at the moment, I feel I need to mentally prepare myself for it first.

I'm satisfied by the end of the game remaining a massive disaster in like all aspects.

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 26, 2023

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
The story could definitely have used some looking over. Everything went back to normal, but apparently Min's team is still dead because she keeps running for them?

Also, apparently pressing R2 is the most heartbreaking thing possible and not a cheap way to make the player feel emotions without having to actually work for that.

Cloacamazing! fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 26, 2023

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

why do I have the sense that the biggest differences in the ending is whether a given character's blurb shows up or not and the hair/chest of Lux's 'surprise' character?

also out of curiosity, what's Yohan's blurb if you don't pick him?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

why do I have the sense that the biggest differences in the ending is whether a given character's blurb shows up or not and the hair/chest of Lux's 'surprise' character?

also out of curiosity, what's Yohan's blurb if you don't pick him?

Yohan travelled the world, and every couple of decades, stopped by his brother to check in on him.

Kind of a :nallears: low effort ending for him, and so considering his romance plot of "man, being immortal and working for Lux really loving sucks", I think him dying is actually the better end for him. Because at least he got closure with his brother and he finally gets to rest after 800 years of Lux's bullshit.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh yeah, I forgot to link this earlier but it turns out the criteria for making the QR code show up (and I'm genuinely mad it didn't because it's such a hilarious "gently caress you, do you have your phone ready RIGHT NOW") is romancing only a single person. This gives you one of the following "true" endings for a character. They are exactly as low effort as you might imagine something like this to be.

https://www.studiosai.dev/eternights/ending-videos/MinEN
https://www.studiosai.dev/eternights/ending-videos/SiaEN
https://www.studiosai.dev/eternights/ending-videos/YunaEN
https://www.studiosai.dev/eternights/ending-videos/YohanEN

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
So you... actually get a more obviously good ending if you date several people?

Checks out.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Artix posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to link this earlier but it turns out the criteria for making the QR code show up (and I'm genuinely mad it didn't because it's such a hilarious "gently caress you, do you have your phone ready RIGHT NOW") is romancing only a single person. This gives you one of the following "true" endings for a character. They are exactly as low effort as you might imagine something like this to be.

https://www.studiosai.dev/eternights/ending-videos/MinEN
https://www.studiosai.dev/eternights/ending-videos/SiaEN
https://www.studiosai.dev/eternights/ending-videos/YunaEN
https://www.studiosai.dev/eternights/ending-videos/YohanEN

Why are these videos linked via QR codes and not just rendered in the game? Does the dev want to avoid having the videos datamined?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I think I understand why they're QR codes. It's meant to attempt to communicate the idea that, suddenly, you got your love interest's message on your phone out of the blue one day. Hence, they want the ending to be looked at via your phone.

However, it's hilariously janky looking. I mean, I did look at the Yohan one, and the contents of it are actually reasonably cute and a continuation of his supports, at least. But the dev definitely didn't consider that someone's phone may not even be on them when they're playing.... Never mind the fact that forcing them to go through the process of finding it and specifically scanning it to see the clip completely defeats the purpose of trying to see the post-ending blurb suddenly on your phone....

Also, from the sounds of what Artix is saying, the QR code doesn't stay visible for that long....

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Is the stuff after the 'cute' messages supposed to be a sequel hook?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Geemer posted:

Is the stuff after the 'cute' messages supposed to be a sequel hook?

I think it's meant to prefigure Lux's little "surprise" at the very end of the game. I guess the final scene is open for interpretation but it seems to heavily imply that the chosen romance candidate is actually alive and reunited with the protagonist as a parting gift from Lux after some time has passed.

Why am I defending this lovely game again?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Oh, I thought it was these qr codes instead of the other ending, not getting both of them.
Does that mean that while you're watching the dumb video on your phone the normal ending is just trundling along in the background, making you miss half of it?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nah I think the QR code is the very last thing that’d show up so you get the title screen in the background while you have your uhhh touching reunion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

'touching' and 'reunion' doing a lot of heavy lifting there

aw poo poo I think reunion broke something