Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

maybe browser vendors should take another pass at bookmarking because it hasn't changed since 1994 and the web has

keeping tabs open, sorted, and arranged in one or more windows (especially if they have a hierarchy like tree style tab) is not something that can be directly solved with bookmarks.

i mean like ancient tabs you dont close are stored internally as what amounts to bookmarks so idk if thats true. I think the issue is that creating them is another step and its just easier to leave the tabs open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

rotor posted:

i mean like ancient tabs you dont close are stored internally as what amounts to bookmarks so idk if thats true. I think the issue is that creating them is another step and its just easier to leave the tabs open.

i agree, and that's one part of what i was getting at when i said they should re-think bookmarks because that creation step is a barrier and so in the pruning step. for the people who are tidy with their tabs, are you equally tidy with your bookmarks or is the mess just swept under the rug?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i go through cycles where i keep a ton of tabs and then get annoyed and organize them into good bookmarks

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i read a tab and then i close it instead of leaving it open for a year and never looking at it

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

rotor posted:

i go through cycles where i keep a ton of tabs and then get annoyed and organize them into good bookmarks

do you ever go back and prune those bookmarks though? the core issue (as i see it) is that as long as you add more things than you remove, both tabs and bookmarks will grow to infinity eventually. with background tab unloading, what is the actual point of bookmarks now? that's why i think they need to be rethought as a concept

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

do you ever go back and prune those bookmarks though? the core issue (as i see it) is that as long as you add more things than you remove, both tabs and bookmarks will grow to infinity eventually. with background tab unloading, what is the actual point of bookmarks now? that's why i think they need to be rethought as a concept

not really. If i want to save it i want to save it. I think there's tools that will prune bookmarks that are 404d or whatever though.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

speaking of bookmarks that are 404d, one thing I really liked about that pinboard thing was the ability to archive bookmarks.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

arc is adding dynamic bookmarks or smart bookmarks or something. like here’s a section of bookmarks that’s every GitHub pull request assigned to you. or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

chedge is better than chome because they haven’t yet committed on a date for manifest v3