Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

The NY Post article references a Code Sports article that's behind a paywall but is part of Murdoch's media in Australia.

Key things

- Apparently sources are from Giddey's camp
- Can't spell the title correctly
- States the family has "remorse" over the situation and the "impact" it has on Giddey and his career
- Blames the girl for lying about her age (could really only come from the club, the girl or Giddey)
- The lying about the age would really come as a possible factor if it's some 18+ club that checks IDs as if it is 21+ then Giddey should know they don't check IDs and can't use the excuse of just the person being at the club means they are old enough. Not that anyone can trust a club to ID everyone anyway. If someone isn't really sure the other person is capable of consent anyway, they don't have to have sex with the person

This really appears like Giddey's camp who is friendly with Australian sports tabloids is working to spin the story and victim blame.

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1730877263489425465

Additionally it appears that the family hired Gloria Allred who has represented victims of Bill Cosby and Anthony Weiner as well as the family of Nicole Simpson . So I don't believe the "remorse" comments came from the girl or the family as it is likely any statement from the media would come from Allred. Remorseful victims who take the blame are not the typical client she takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Terrence Ross officially retired yesterday, just wanted to make a note about that.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

dokmo posted:

Terrence Ross officially retired yesterday, just wanted to make a note about that.

I still remember when him and Terrence Jones were tearing it up in high school and gonna be the next big stars

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Papercut posted:

I still remember when him and Terrence Jones were tearing it up in high school and gonna be the next big stars

There were many years where a Hornican fan was trying to convince everyone that Terrence Jones was better than Anthony Davis.

e: i think they only stopped once it was confirmed that Jones stomped on a homeless man

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

dang, these Nuggets jerseys were dire

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

- The lying about the age would really come as a possible factor if it's some 18+ club that checks IDs as if it is 21+ then Giddey should know they don't check IDs and can't use the excuse of just the person being at the club means they are old enough. Not that anyone can trust a club to ID everyone anyway. If someone isn't really sure the other person is capable of consent anyway, they don't have to have sex with the person

I’m not defending Giddey or the NY Post, but what do you mean by this? How does a 21+ club not check IDs? It’s a huge deal if you let underage people drink at your establishment. Big fines and potentially losing their liquor license, which is not only very expensive to get but also means that they can’t make any money so there’s no reason to be open at all.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Does anyone have the still of this dunk? It was pretty dope. At the angle it was taken it looked like it was physically impossible for him to complete it.

One of my favorite basketball pictures.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

The Maestro posted:

I’m not defending Giddey or the NY Post, but what do you mean by this? How does a 21+ club not check IDs? It’s a huge deal if you let underage people drink at your establishment. Big fines and potentially losing their liquor license, which is not only very expensive to get but also means that they can’t make any money so there’s no reason to be open at all.

I mean despite the risks for the establishment, some clubs/bars do not check IDs strictly.

Edit: And it's not a NY Post article. It's a rehash of an Australian tabloid article.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 2, 2023

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/ThePettiestLA/status/1730804318662705382

Nah this poo poo rocks. heads up basketball play for the big man who doesn't want to run.

Lol

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

RCarr posted:

Does anyone have the still of this dunk? It was pretty dope. At the angle it was taken it looked like it was physically impossible for him to complete it.

One of my favorite basketball pictures.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hell yea, thank you

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

nikosoft posted:

I don't understand why Tobias Harris is considered a "good" player, every single time I have watched him for the past several years he looks absolutely terrible

Tobias Harris is only a good player when you aren’t watching him play. If you tune in to a game he becomes very mediocre but the next night when you watch another team he scores 25 and plays good defense. Then you check back to see him put up another performance and scores 3 points with 4 turnovers

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Tobias Harris is a good player that would contribute to every team, the problem is he is paid like a superstar and he isn’t that.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

The NY Post article references a Code Sports article that's behind a paywall but is part of Murdoch's media in Australia.

Key things

- Apparently sources are from Giddey's camp
- Can't spell the title correctly
- States the family has "remorse" over the situation and the "impact" it has on Giddey and his career
- Blames the girl for lying about her age (could really only come from the club, the girl or Giddey)

This really appears like Giddey's camp who is friendly with Australian sports tabloids is working to spin the story and victim blame.

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1730877263489425465

Additionally it appears that the family hired Gloria Allred who has represented victims of Bill Cosby and Anthony Weiner as well as the family of Nicole Simpson . So I don't believe the "remorse" comments came from the girl or the family as it is likely any statement from the media would come from Allred. Remorseful victims who take the blame are not the typical client she takes.

drat we about to find out this man is a predator, going high school to high school having one night stands all over the country

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

No player has benefited from the timing of NBA cap explosions like Tobias Harris

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Papes posted:

Tobias Harris is a good player that would contribute to every team, the problem is he is paid like a superstar and he isn’t that.

He's 19th in salary which is a high but not egregious. How the NBA cap works it's not like the Sixers had a chance to get Booker or someone with that money instead.

Also, get that bag, big man.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Lockback posted:

it's not like the Sixers had a chance to get Booker or someone with that money instead.

They did though. They could have had Jimmy Butler.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

They did though. They could have had Jimmy Butler.

They could have had both. Although there is a split because the Sixers said they were ready to offer him a max and he said they weren't. Both sides have not always been super great at letting facts get in the way of a narrative.

Either way, still not Harris's fault.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Tobias is like a base that can be swapped in to neutralize any negative player on the court. By himself, he's not that great but when everyone else is good, he didn't does subtract. He's like the median.

temple fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 2, 2023

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tobias is the NBA player equivalent of an orange peel in food and drinks

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 2, 2023

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

From what I've seen of the sixers this year, Nurse seems to have Harris doing more on offense than Doc did. Though that may also be the absence of Harden. Either way the team is less boring to watch than in past few seasons.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Lockback posted:

They could have had both. Although there is a split because the Sixers said they were ready to offer him a max and he said they weren't. Both sides have not always been super great at letting facts get in the way of a narrative.

Either way, still not Harris's fault.

I don't remember any reports saying the Sixers were willing to offer the full max. I remember Zach Lowe and Woj especially saying that the 76ers were not willing to give Jimmy Butler even a 4 year max, while the Heat and Rockets were.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Lockback posted:

He's 19th in salary which is a high but not egregious. How the NBA cap works it's not like the Sixers had a chance to get Booker or someone with that money instead.

Also, get that bag, big man.

Sure but he’s nowhere close to the 19th best player.

They actually could have used that money on jimmy butler

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I don't remember any reports saying the Sixers were willing to offer the full max. I remember Zach Lowe and Woj especially saying that the 76ers were not willing to give Jimmy Butler even a 4 year max, while the Heat and Rockets were.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2843798-jimmy-butler-rumors-star-declined-190m-76ers-max-contract-before-heat-trade

https://sports.yahoo.com/jimmy-butler-heat-sixers-nba-free-agency-222854567.html

Even Butler said "There was stuff that happened that I don't want to talk about" which indicates a lot more than just a contract.

Regardless, there was nothing stopping them from getting Harris and Butler. The money from not signing Butler meant they could get Horford and Josh Richardson instead,

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

That comes off like damage control after it had already come out they said they were out of the Jimmy Butler business.

https://twitter.com/KyleNeubeck/status/1145523029537120256

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That comes off like damage control after it had already come out they said they were out of the Jimmy Butler business.

https://twitter.com/KyleNeubeck/status/1145523029537120256

it's a big he said she said. That's the point. Regardless it was never a decision "Butler or Harris". They could have had both if they wanted.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

WhyteRyce posted:

No player has benefited from the timing of NBA cap explosions like Tobias Harris

Timofey Mozgov

E: Also the entire Warriors roster for letting them offer KD a max

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 2, 2023

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Timofey Mozgov

E: Also the entire Warriors roster for letting them offer KD a max

Tobias has had multiple max deals given to him because of cap explosion timing

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

He’s earning $39 million in 2023-24, and has career averages of 16/6/2. Good for you, Tobias Harris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4048601

New Thread