Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
my parents are both still alive but i haven't spoken to my mother since my grandmother died 5 years ago and after she sent an email storm last summer blaming my gf for estranging us and saying some of the most vile poo poo possible about her and then on the 11th email said "Cancel that i was just upset" i don't think i'll be changing how our relationship works anytime soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
My folks are still alive. My dad retired and seems to be enjoying himself. I think he's excited for my mom to retire soon. My biological father died when I was very young and in a few years I'm going to be older than he was. I think that's interesting.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

my folks are still around -- both in their 80s. Mom was an actor, SAG AFTRA pension/benefits (meager). Dad has retired about 25 times but still works as a contact-mechanics engineering consult in the wonderful world of international railroading. I call my old man once a week at least to say: STOP WORKING. ENJOY LIFE!

edit: i should also add that i'm unusually fortunate in that my folks are progressive, accepting, and loving in general. i can't tell you how nice it is that they've avoided the boomer brain-rot

Buce fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 2, 2023

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

My dad passed when I was 21; he was on the water, in an 8 person rowing scull and there was no way to do CPR and frankly getting to shore and keeping him in the boat was no small task.

I had been driving home from university to cram for exams and pulled up in the driveway as my mom came flying out of the house to go to the hospital. The look on her face was one I'd never seen, and I knew he was dead, right that moment.

We got to the hospital and they'd just stopped working him. In the OR I stood over his corpse and was overwhelmed by the terrible stillness of death.

He was a kind and gentle man, a talented musician and had a penchant for puns and wordplay and it was a beautiful day on the water; there are certainly worse ways to die.

He'd had a massive stroke while rowing! :dadjoke:

He was 58.

Mom was a microbiologist but hadn't worked in years and she threw her energy and grief into her passion for the environment and activism. I quit school, and started working full time to help cover bills.

A year later she was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer, and the next 3 years were non-stop; pre and post surgery radiotherapy, and chemo. It bought a year of respite, and then metastasis, liver, lungs, bones, brain..

My siblings and I moved or commuted to care for her in the last few months; we stretched that into most of a year, as she fought and declined, and changed as the brain tumors took everything recognizable away.

She passed in 3 days after we moved her into the hospital. Watching that last breath leave her was such a mix of pain and relief.

She was 59

They were loving people; progressive, selfless volunteers, full of kindness and laughter; I'm so lucky to have had them as long as I did.

RIP parents.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 3, 2023

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

remigious posted:

I live in fear that I will get a call that my mom died in the night or my dad got drunk and fell out of his treehouse :(

Rocks that your dad has a treehouse tbh

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Dad died in January of 2020 after leaving the hospital on hospice. At the time, my parents were staying at their small place in Arizona that they wintered at. He died within 12 hours of going home, from a combination of congestive heart failure and kidney failure. My mom had stayed up all night to care for him.

Mom died 2 months to the day later. She had a heart attack at night and a neighbor stopped by that morning to see why she wasn't at a breakfast thing and found her on the floor. I was called later that day with the news. She died the week before the country began to shutdown due to Covid. I flew down on an almost empty flight, took care of affairs down there, and then drove her, my dad and their dog's ashes back home.

They were good people and deserved better then that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Mom yes Dad no