Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I've just finished a test run for the final part and I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't just a rehashing of the puzzles from the previous towers. I'm going to attempt a recording soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

This is the final part of Armikrog. On the one hand, we don't have to repeat some of the previous puzzles that have repeated themselves several times. On the other, we do have to repeat sequences we have already done. At least the developers tried to do something different with the final section of the game and there are new puzzles to solve.

I did make a booboo as I had to input several symbols into a device and I had to re-record the segment as I believed that one of the symbols was wrong. It turns out that either I couldn't recognise my own scrawl and I chose the wrong symbol, or I wrote the wrong symbol down entirely. There was one surprise in this video as the vehicle turned neon for a brief moment of time while travelling. Also, drat this game for its lack of volume controls and vastly changing volume of music.

This was an interesting game to experience and it's one that I never would have if I hadn't started an LP of The Neverhood. This game looked great and had some interesting concepts, but the gameplay was mediocre at best in pretty much every aspect. I would have been okay with the puzzles if they weren't so repetitive, although the final couple of puzzles could have been lifted straight out of The Neverhood. I'm most likely going to attempt to record the lore soon in an effort to complete things and shut down the thread.

Thank you, everyone, for being a part of the LP. I'm probably going to follow this up with Callahan's Crosstime Saloon.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Well that certainly was an ending, at least it wasn't a cliffhanger and just a sequel hook. Though to be honest with that first outing I don't know if they honestly expected to get a sequel.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That was certainly a... thing. I think I finally figured out what bugs me so much about Armikrog. It feels like a demo of a game, not the game itself. There are just so many questions raised that the game doesn't even try to answer, and the second and third towers just feel like areas that had started development but didn't have everything added to them yet. Hell, there's one room in the second tower that has a skylight that looks like you should be able to reach it with either Beak Beak or the large block, and the second? last room in the game looks like there's a thing that should be important, with several symbols seen in previous areas around what looks like a door.

Why did the intro say Vognaut and Numnaut are dead, but then we see a deformed Vognaut? Why did Tommynaut seem so blase about his dead brother being alive and the reason Armikrog was attacked? Why was Vognaut normal in the retelling, but deformed when he's in person? I don't know if the giant mural fills in some of the gaps, but it just feels like a plot summary rather than an actual plot.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

SceneMissing.jpg

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Randalor posted:

That was certainly a... thing. I think I finally figured out what bugs me so much about Armikrog. It feels like a demo of a game, not the game itself. There are just so many questions raised that the game doesn't even try to answer, and the second and third towers just feel like areas that had started development but didn't have everything added to them yet. Hell, there's one room in the second tower that has a skylight that looks like you should be able to reach it with either Beak Beak or the large block, and the second? last room in the game looks like there's a thing that should be important, with several symbols seen in previous areas around what looks like a door.

Why did the intro say Vognaut and Numnaut are dead, but then we see a deformed Vognaut? Why did Tommynaut seem so blase about his dead brother being alive and the reason Armikrog was attacked? Why was Vognaut normal in the retelling, but deformed when he's in person? I don't know if the giant mural fills in some of the gaps, but it just feels like a plot summary rather than an actual plot.

There's also the inclusion of Teddy Rosevant who didn't have a quest for us. According to TenNapel:

quote:

Armikrog was a great opportunity that got about 90% there. Sadly enough though, we ran out of resources to put the polish on it. So those final 10% is a lot of where the smoothness and stability of a game comes from, and the bottom line is we were stretched too far with too little resources.

So it looks like this is pretty much how they intended the game to be but with some elements that either weren't implemented or didn't make the final cut.

By popular demand posted:

SceneMissing.jpg

Thank you for this. I haven't even looked through the lore on the wall yet, I'm hoping that they've used it to fill in some of the blanks. Or it's just going to be more meandering nonsense like in The Neverhood.

Tombot posted:

Well that certainly was an ending, at least it wasn't a cliffhanger and just a sequel hook. Though to be honest with that first outing I don't know if they honestly expected to get a sequel.

There probably would have been a sequel if they pulled this off, but after the reaction it got when it was released I wouldn't hold my breath of it ever happening. It's been eight years and this was TenNapel's last venture into video games.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm not going to lie, I'm looking at the lore and I'm completely checking out of this game right now. I probably will get around to it at some point in the future but I'm really in no rush to do it.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 8, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is it that stupid or does the TenNapel show?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
At first I was wondering why nobody ever talked about this game even when it was new, and now it's plainly obvious as to why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The Armikrog Chronicles
Part 1

It's been a while and this has been on my mind for some time now. I really need to get this done so I can put this LP to rest. I just needed a break from the whole Armikrog experience and the daunting task of recording the chronicles of this game and the Neverhood. I felt like I had to come back in when I was more prepared for it.

I think part of the problem as well was that I was initially going to put the Armikrog chronicles into one video, which was a big mistake as it was going to be massive. I was also planning to convert screenshots and put the chronicles into galleries but I'm going to pass on that for Armikrog. I'm still undecided about The Neverhood but I'm not going to rule it out. I think that it may be easier to tackle The Neverhood in my mind once this LP is at a close.

I'm doing Armikrog before The Neverhood because it's going to be quicker to finish. I'm going to split the chronicles into their own separate parts. There are eight in total and doing them separately means I can spend 20 minutes on each one here and there when I have free time, which is going to make things a lot more manageable for me. The first video is 14 minutes long even with keeping each page of text up for only thirty seconds.