Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
always incredible how all industrial processes take a fuckton of water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Homeless Friend posted:

i noticed that too. the best way they can think of to clean them is to hit them with several eyewash stations

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Homeless Friend posted:

every factory and mill ive been to has been soaking wet

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sopping wet slices of tempered steel

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the soaking wet lemon i-beam cart

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

well, water is the cheapest polar solvent and many chemical reactions are easier to control using water than any other readily available means.
though the biggest water demands are typically power generation and agriculture in the usa

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
Ultra Carp

Lpzie posted:

if you eat meat you should kill it yourself. if you cannot, then don't

I'm thinking about taking up deer hunting, for ethical reasons

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Vim Fuego posted:

I'm thinking about taking up deer hunting, for ethical reasons

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4046669

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Hatebag posted:

well, water is the cheapest polar solvent and many chemical reactions are easier to control using water than any other readily available means.
though the biggest water demands are typically power generation and agriculture in the usa
hydroelectric really doesn't count because it's not consumed or contaminated. it's impounded by a dam and released through penstocks to the turbines into a natural river channel. often times they'll have sluice gates releasing water non-hydro just to keep water levels within a certain threshold.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

that's fine. months worth of meat there. many months for ppl like me that eat meat rarely and a little bit for some flavor. watch youtubes on how to use every part of the deer. everything has a use. anything u throw away unused is a disrespect to the process of life

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Xaris posted:

hydroelectric really doesn't count because it's not consumed or contaminated. it's impounded by a dam and released through penstocks to the turbines into a natural river channel. often times they'll have sluice gates releasing water non-hydro just to keep water levels within a certain threshold.

sure but hydro is like 6% of us power production. most of the water use for electricity is from coal plants

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Hatebag posted:

sure but hydro is like 6% of us power production. most of the water use for electricity is from coal plants

you have to clean it with something

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
Ultra Carp

:synpa:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
Ultra Carp

Lpzie posted:

that's fine. months worth of meat there. many months for ppl like me that eat meat rarely and a little bit for some flavor. watch youtubes on how to use every part of the deer. everything has a use. anything u throw away unused is a disrespect to the process of life

I wish you many meaty months

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

mags posted:

you have to clean it with something

actually, yes. some of the water used in coal plants is from SO2 scrubbers where they make a limestone slurry and pass the exhaust through a column of that to react the SO2 out. there's also wet scrubbers for particulates that operate under similar principles, detention ponds, and a ton of other stuff to get rid of heavy metals and toxic chemicals that use a whole lotta water. and that's in addition to the water used in the turbine to make electricity.
hell, they could even pull the CO2 outta the exhaust if they wanted to and just have the stacks puff out water vapor but that would make the plants less profitable so i guess a few billion people and most of the animals on earth will just have to die instead

mags
May 30, 2008

it is what it is

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Hatebag posted:

even your standard there defines meat to include connective tissues, blood vessels, and nerves.

I know this is slightly outside the remit of burger posting but it serves to throw the burg into sharper focus.
You can't just throw that stuff in, it's attached to muscle only. There's a weird thing they do here where you have to obey the spirit of the law.
I think aside from all that though, because there's an ok minimum wage, these sorts of both labour intensive or heavily automated processes aren't as economically viable. That crab machine is probably slower than a skilled meat worker but it allows the company to employ unskilled labour which they can easily replace.

Xaris posted:

The graph doesn't include hydro. It says thermoelectric, so fossil fuels and I guess nuclear.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I'll admit it, I jealous of israel. I wish swarthy zapatistas would overwhelm america's porous border revealing the weaknesses of our state violence apparatus

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

first bricklink got hacked. then marxists.org was down. mossad's crack hacker teams are closing in on me but the truth must get out

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it's that clucker chicken head. where's he going? it's not sunday, he has no friends, no acquaintances, no lovers.

a chicken restaurant?

that don't look like any chicken restaurant I've ever seen

mags
May 30, 2008

had a burger today

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

mags posted:

had a burger today

:cheers:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I bought one of those 3 lb logs of beef and made a ton of burgers out of it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the logs are more or less the same quality of ground beef you get off the rack in styrofoam at the supermarket unless they grind their own there, and theyre 1000% higher quality than the patties you buy frozen

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Had a burger with bacon and cheese on it

🅱️🍔

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Al! posted:

the logs are more or less the same quality of ground beef you get off the rack in styrofoam at the supermarket unless they grind their own there, and theyre 1000% higher quality than the patties you buy frozen

They were as good as if not better than the Greenwise patties Publix sells and half the price if you do the math out by 1/4lb patties

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

love the meat tube. also the cheap ground beef

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lib and let die posted:

They were as good as if not better than the Greenwise patties Publix sells and half the price if you do the math out by 1/4lb patties

cool thing about the meat tube is you can take a bread knife to it while still sealed and just cut the patties you want off of it like a loaf

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Al! posted:

cool thing about the meat tube is you can take a bread knife to it while still sealed and just cut the patties you want off of it like a loaf

YES

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I've been freezing my bread lately. pretty good. finally a use for the door of the freezer

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
had whöopper

mags
May 30, 2008

Tree Goat posted:

had whöopper

👍

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

pizza?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

something to drink?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
in the uk/aus they call a fried chicken sandwich a "chicken burger" and think that it's the hamburger bun that makes something a burger, rather than the central ground meat patty, and it makes me want to throw up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Xaris posted:

that's really weird. i don't think i've ever heard of that one. burgers are delicious. what about impossible burger?

but human bodies are loving weird and irrational. i can be a garbage disposal; however, shellfish does that for me

I think it's something about beef patties, since I dislike meatloaf for the exact same reason. Something just feels wrong about them, can't put my finger on what. Putting ketchup on them makes it even worse. The most tolerable form of hamburger is a cheeseburger with nothing but bread, cheese, meat, and lettuce.

Edit: I think I might be capable of enjoying some sort of burger with a thin beef patty. Part of the issue is that the thickness of the patty just doesn't feel balanced with the rest of the "sandwich." But even then, a beef patty still just feels like "an inferior version of a regular cut of beef." Sorta like how a patty of ground-up chicken would be worse than having an actual chicken breast in a sandwhich.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 23:16 on Jan 1, 2024