Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Enchanted Hat posted:

:toot: :toot: :toot: Just crossed 50,000! :toot: :toot: :toot:

The story is still not done, there is quite a lot of plot left, but now I will take it easy and probably finish this draft sometime in December. Now let's see some more nanowrimo winners!

GarbiTheGlitchress posted:

Day 25: 1682

Total: 50012!

Met my goal today! Started working on a new fanfic, about Gitaroo Man. Think I'll still try to at least get 1000 words a day, but also work on editing more.

congrats to both of you!! :peanut:

day 25: 4000 words EXACTLY
total: 97,133 words

feeling very tired as the month approaches its end. :sadpeanut:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Done 4k words this morning so I'm now on 46k. I have decided I will try and push on to the 50k later today (about to go out) then I'm done.
I won't be able to do any tomorrow, and Wednesday is dicey so if I can finish up today that would be great. It's the biggest load of rubbish though.

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Trains to lift up and protect her friends... and maybe to pick them up and carry them when they are tired :)

Enchanted Hat posted:

:toot: :toot: :toot: Just crossed 50,000! :toot: :toot: :toot:

Congrats! :toot: Thank you for making this thread as well! Doing this was a super awesome experience, and I think posting here helped me stick with it!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Day 26: 1,301
Total: 26,654

Started earlier today, didn't really help massively, stiil difficult to get going. It's weird, after spending so many years thinking about the technical construction of storytelling and wordplay this feels like going back go basics.

I keep having to remind myself that instead of thinking about how to write what happens next, I should just write it. And then I write, and I have ideas that surprise me and occur to me as i write. And then I enjoy myself.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Yay, finished - 8000 words today and finished on 50027.
What a pile of crud I have produced. Reduced at the end to a tale of possibilities involving swarfega.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Ain't no minute like the last minute, because I wrote 10 pages and over 3k words! My longest chapter yet, but it had lots of dialogue. I also made up 2 new characters just to move the plot, one of which was a rhyming magician. :3:

I knew I wasn't going to finish going into this, but I'm glad for the opportunity to get motivated enough to try. Congrats to everyone that made it!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 26: 6566
total: 103,699

passed the 100k threshold. whew.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gnossiennes posted:

day 26: 6566
total: 103,699

passed the 100k threshold. whew.

Wow!

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

43991 with four days left. Theoretically EZ but I am tired and work is busy. I'll make it, just a matter of how much suffer sauce I need to spread!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Day 27: 1,655
Total: 28,309

Ooh, made myself a little bit emotional. The wording is terrible but there's a core idea there that is a good character moment, I just worry I haven't really built up to it enough.

But that's for editing me to worry about. Onward!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 27: 5053
total: 108,752

after i finished writing i sat down and thought about some more character development goals and realized that one of the mains needs to change a bunch :negative:

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Not really feeling anything I was writing basically made me give up for this year :eng99: It's something I'll keep poking at as I feel like it, at least.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

KariOhki posted:

Not really feeling anything I was writing basically made me give up for this year :eng99: It's something I'll keep poking at as I feel like it, at least.
I swing wildly between hating what I wrote, breaking through that feeling and enjoying what I'm writing, and wondering how the hell I would edit it into publishable shape.

But I'm still going! Having the goal to sit and do it every day has helped in a way nothing has in the past, even though I have days like this:

Day 28: 313
Total: 28,622

Took a big chunk, like 300 words out of yesterday's writing and redid it because I could not get the characters out of the argument they'd gotten themselves into. So have added less to the word count and more to the story, but more importantly left it at an easier place to get back into tomorrow.

Gnossiennes posted:

after i finished writing i sat down and thought about some more character development goals and realized that one of the mains needs to change a bunch :negative:
I too have gotten way too far in and realised that one of the characters is just a dick, and the story works much, much better without her.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I have done it. Cranked out 3286 words today despite working and D&D to finish two days early.

That makes my seventh conservative Nanowrimo completion.

Now I can rest and never write anything again, until I remember that I should actually get around to finishing the book one of these years.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 28: 4785 words
total: 113,537 words

Xalidur posted:

I have done it. Cranked out 3286 words today despite working and D&D to finish two days early.

That makes my seventh conservative Nanowrimo completion.

Now I can rest and never write anything again, until I remember that I should actually get around to finishing the book one of these years.

hell yeah good job 8)

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
Day 29: 1438 words.
Total: 50.157 words.

I spilled over into material that wasn't that well outlined, which resulted in me losing steam as I entered the last week. Luckily I had a significant buffer, so I completed the 50k a day early. 3rd succesful NaNoWriMo in a row :toot:

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Finished with around 50200 so I can go binge drink with my coworkers on what would be the final night. I'm honestly pretty happy with how this turned out. There are two independent, rational crimes that get unraveled in a logical manner, two main characters who are fairly well rounded and undergo change over the course of the story, and a wide range of side characters who are all fairly distinct despite them mostly being college students.

My physical descriptions and my scene-level pacing needs work, and I'll have to write a proper denouement, but I'm looking forward to editing and actually publishing this under my real name.

First task though is gonna be polishing up the final draft of last year's nano and slapping that up on the Kindle store.

Keep writing! You can do it!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 29: 7245 words
total: 120,782 words

well if nothing else, i've discovered that i can write pretty consistently, so that's cool.
unfortunately i realized that a main plot-progression-vehicle i built up is both boring to read and totally unenjoyable to write lol. welp!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Took another mental health day yesterday, not fully processing how close I am to the finish line. If I can get
1,400ish done today, I will have met my midway mini goal!

I was wondering, now everyone has hit / exceeded / doubled their goal, do we keep updating this thread? Is it okay to update later if someone - like E Depois - decides to later publish? Or if - like quote, tarnop & myself - we've spread it over 2 months for personal reasons, is that ok to keep doing the totals?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Took another mental health day yesterday, not fully processing how close I am to the finish line. If I can get

I was wondering, now everyone has hit / exceeded / doubled their goal, do we keep updating this thread? Is it okay to update later if someone - like E Depois - decides to later publish? Or if - like quote, tarnop & myself - we've spread it over 2 months for personal reasons, is that ok to keep doing the totals?

I'm obviously somewhat biased here but I vote yes. The point of nano for me is to get you to write a book. Who cares if it takes two months instead of one for a first draft, it still provided motivation to do something we wouldn't have otherwise

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Day 30: 1526
Total: 30,148

I did it. Month 1 and I hit my target, despite bad mental and physical health days. This is the most I have ever done on one project, and I love it.

I mean there are individual parts which are going to have to be completely redone, sections i hate because i was concentrating on the events rather than the quality of the prose, but there are parts of it i actually love.

E: summary of good / bad days and total word counts.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 30, 2023

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 30: 5805 words
total: 126,587 words

that was, without a doubt, intensely better than i ever thought i could do. i expected it turn into nothing but unhappiness and frustration somewhere in the middle, but honestly? i had a lot of fun the whole way through :shrug:

i still have a lot of work to do to finish writing this thing, and i've learned a lot over the last month, but the most important thing i learned is that i am pretty alright at banging stuff out. that counts for something, i guess!

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
So with November now over, congratulations to all the people who met their goals! You can now take it easy and spend the next eleven months talking about the novel you wrote~

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Absolutely! Feel free to keep posting about the projects you worked on for Nanowrimo. I myself still need to write the last chapter of my Nanowrimo story, so I still have a little more work to do.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Echoing that yes, please continue to discuss your work here! All writers are welcome over in the Fiction Advice thread, of course, but there is no reason this thread needs to die if folks want to discuss and celebrate the development of their NaNo projects :kimchi:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm not going to do full daily wordcounts, but I gave myself a day off on the 1st as a little treat and was worried I would find it difficult to get back into on the 2nd. But then I wrote 1,220 words yesterday in about half an hour like it was nothing, so was pretty :stoked: for that.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Got sick at the end of October. It wasn't COVID, but it lasted an entire month and came with a bad case of brain fog. So I didn't write at all during November, but I'm not giving up on this project.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mid month 2 update, have some stats:

I am not, unfortunately, doing well. I suspect partly the lack of accountability, and also my sleeping patterns and routine have taken a December-shaped battering.

Still I continue under the axiom of "you haven't failed until you stop trying." Although the wife is off next week, so I am anticipating another huge dip in productivity.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

It may have taken me until February 2024 but I finally put my 2022 nano up as an ebook. It was distracting me from finishing my 2023 nano project, which is a more serious project i can put my real name on.

While I'm not happy with the final result - it needs more conspiracy and investigation, and less detailed cunnilingus and cooking (like, 20000 words less) - it did feel nice to finally be done with it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"The rain fell on the moist streets of a dark and lonesome city..."

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"The rain fell on the moist streets of a dark and lonesome city..."

More poetic than anything in there tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Seems Nano's done for.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nanowrimo/comments/19dy3ho/no_more_nanowrimo/

More detail:
https://the-nanowrimo-chronicles.tumblr.com/
https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vSYcdosGLoPFI_Dc--vuC9Bl4-OUFGcmHgBRt2aHSRVWBPc6su4AMFY5iDgZGyC379Zm8C7zhBd2zuf/pub

I'm still doing the RoyalRoad Writathon for April, though!