Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
the rogue invitational is an annual strongman and crossfit competition, featuring events such as elephant bar deadlifts, the 'rogue-a-coaster pull' (where the competitor must pull a 600lb cart up a ramp), the 'tower of power' (an elevated 900lb deadlift), log lifts, stone holds, basically a ton of stuff that'd make my lower back feel like poo poo, and this year's event started today. are you watching? did you ever plan on watching? tell me more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Tower of Power is one of those things that works well on paper but not in a broadcast sense. You either have to focus on the lifter or the weights, or if you want to show both you have to be super zoomed out. My guess is that it gets phased out next year for a different kind of deadlift. In terms of the results I'm not a fan of Kiels/Max getting points for 0 reps, I feel like you need to at least noticiably break the weight off the ground to justify a lift attempt, otherwise we're heading towards Robert Oberst Memorial "Strategic Zeros". Bobby did the smart thing in tying with Trey, no sense in killing yourself for an extra half point.

The Iron Bull sled clearly had something going wrong given that everyone not named Mateusz was dying a terrible death out there. I get that they didn't want what happens with a vehicle pull where it's about the initial start and then keeping momentum, but guys would have had a better chance had it been an arm over arm. Feel terrible for Trey rupturing his Achilles, see you in '25 Big Thickett. Hooper gutting out 2nd is big for him keeping ahead of the pack, now he can focus on just staying ahead of Kiels. I don't know if they're going for four events on Saturday now, or if weather will even permit that.

Crossfit happened I guess.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

C. Everett Koop posted:

Crossfit happened I guess.

crossfit saturday was boring asf i was NOT watching all that lmao. it looks fun to do but after the first five minutes of the 10th inning i had begun 2 take a little nap.

luke stoltman was wiggly as gently caress during the rogue-a-coaster but surprised me in the other events, and i don't mean that in a backhanded way. i heard a lot of people disparaging him online, saying that he'd just been invited because of his brother, but he held his own for sure. i would not want to run into him in a dark alleyway.

mitch hooper continues to be a very handsome man and living proof that strong people should work on being faster. as of right this second they still haven't announced a winner, but i hope it's mitch. PLEASE

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Mitch won. "Officially" i.e. Strongman Archives has Tom finishing split seconds ahead of Mitch but not enough for it to make up the difference.

Honestly, this event was a shitshow. I get that weather happens and when you are primarily running a Crossfit show with a Strongman intermission you go with your primary focus, but I don't agree with a lot of the decisions being made.

-Going from 6 events to 5 really hurt the people chasing Hooper; Mitch was up 5 points on second Singleton and that's a tough hill to climb with three events to go. It hurt Mateusz even more after the points he and Maxime got from the deadlift were taken away. Here's where I talk out of both sides of my mouth: I said I didn't think you should be awarded points for a deadlift attempt until you break the bar off the ground, which I don't think either Mateusz or Max did, but points were awarded and the event was over. At that point it should be it; no results should be changed unless you have obvious evidence of someone cheating or somehow breaking the rules. Mateusz went from 5.5 down at the end of Day 1 to 7 down at the start of Day 2 through no fault of his own, which is bullshit.

-Rogue-a-coaster is fine, now that guys have gotten more comfortable with it I think they can boost the weight a little. Everyone but Luke finished, which means it can be made tougher next go round. OFC it all depends who is there but I stand by what I said.

-Going from a medley to just log for reps is a letdown imo. It did help that you had maybe the strongest group of log pressers available and only would have been improved by adding Biby and Prime Z. People are bitching about Hooper's lockouts but I've not seen any evidence, if he's getting the down sign across this many events he's either doing something right or everyone's in on it.

-I don't know what the original plan for the last event was, but this didn't work. It had the same issue that the sandbag carry for distance did last year in that five people going at once might look good in person but it sucks for broadcast because you can't focus on five people at the same time, you can only focus on one/two unless you go wide the whole time. At least this time around everyone was finishing in the same position unlike the bag carry. However, just three sandbags in a short area was a letdown for a finish. Everyone finished and in relatively short time, which meant one shifting of the bag in your hands was enough to cost you several spots. I don't like Strongman events finishing in under 30s; I agree with Shaw where an event should have the top guys finishing with a moderate struggle, the middle struggle but still finish, and the bottom struggle to finish if they even do. There's exceptions like when Mateusz mogs the Arnold timber carry or the Bull this year while everyone else dies a terrible death, but again those are exceptions to the rule.

It's the cap to a good year for Hooper, who went 1-1-2-1 at the majors this year, and a good showing for Tom who proved he does give a poo poo about something other than World's. I think Mateusz's window might have closed; his deadlift is never going to get to mid-pack and I think his confidence is permanently shattered after his tricep debacle. Looking forward to Novikov getting healthy, seeing what Thor can do in his return, if Licis can put together one last run before he retires here, if Singleton can keep improving or if his peak is going to be that podium gatekeeper that guys like Caron ended up occupying.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
i work with a former strongwoman, so i have a big soft spot for female strongman competitors, and i hope at some point we get strongwomen in the rogue invitational because women deserve so much better than crossfit. toomey's knees during that last event made me feel a little nauseous