Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

MoonshineWilly posted:

On the other hand, what’s up with small food chains putting a tip option on the checkout? If I bought a soda for $2.50, a 20% tip works out to $0.50 which feels simultaneously insulting to the worker and unnecessary in a situation where all they did was lift a cup off the counter. Are companies using this as an opportunity to pay their workers even less?

they're using it as an excuse to say that paying increased minimum wage to fast-food workers made prices go up so they can fight any future minimum wage increases in the House and Senate through the media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
When I was a cook for Applebee's, we only got tips if the waitstaff was willing to check the box that said they'd be willing to share their tips. Of course none of them did, and none of us expected them to.

We should have gotten tips based on how complicated the food was to make.

Nah, not really. I would hate to deal with customers. They deserve all the tips.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

MoonshineWilly posted:

The waitstaff probably deserve at least a 15-20% tip if they’re making $2/hr or whatever, unless they’re so terrible that they openly spit in your food while you watch.

Nobody makes $2/hr in the US. If the tips don't push you past minimum wage, you get minimum wage.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Give whatever you can. The working class is getting hosed over out here. Including you.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

MoonshineWilly posted:

Are companies using this as an opportunity to pay their workers even less?

What does your fart tell you

MrQwerty posted:

they're using it as an excuse to say that paying increased minimum wage to fast-food workers made prices go up so they can fight any future minimum wage increases in the House and Senate through the media

Also this they get to print some little "the 18% we're charging on this line called "GRATUITY" that is legally mandated by [local ordinance/state law/w/e] is NOT a gratuity we are huge assholes to our employees, you, the government, and you the customer are a huge assholes for not bankrolling my slaveslabor force" line on the receipt and republicans diners nod their heads and say to themselves "hmm small business owner yes"

Private Cumshoe fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 1, 2023

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

how much do you all tip your landlords? standard 20%, or do you go extra if they fix something?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I give them tips on how to repair things when they visit for weekly inspections to show them what I've done to help the place out, they keep asking me if I grew up with a father though :shrug:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it's called revenue sharing, coupling worker pay directly to the value of their labor, it's actually the most progressive wage system under capitalism op

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

right now there is a labor shortage so get as many part time jobs as you can and keep your boss happy enough to keep you on the books.

keep doing that for a few years until there is a job shortage and then lease out your jobs for a percentage of the income.

one simple trick.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

right now there is a labor shortage so get as many part time jobs as you can and keep your boss happy enough to keep you on the books.

keep doing that for a few years until there is a job shortage and then lease out your jobs for a percentage of the income.

one simple trick.

learn to code at one of your jobs and create a job-sharing app called Jobber for when the time comes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I despise tipping and I think everyone should just be paid a living wage, but I tip anyway because unfortunately that’s the society we live in and me being a stingy rear end in a top hat wouldn’t change anything.