Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

This is a collaboration with Nettle Soup, who has conquered the yeast and learned the forbidden secrets of gluten.

1. Red Lentils with Flatbread
    Lentils
  • Rinse 'em
  • Boil 'em
  • just enough water to get 'em to a soft consistency while being a bit moist and saucy but not overly soupy.

Spices
  • 2 tsp Fennel Seed and/or Cumin
  • 1/2 broken Cinnamon stick (we used Cassia)
  • half dozen cracked Allspice berries
  • 1 tsp dried Chili (or more to taste)
  • 2-4 Cloves
  • dried Ginger
  • Heat a few tbsp of a cooking oil of your choice to smoking point, immediately pour it into a ramekin or other heat-proof dish holding all the spices. If any of your spices are ground (in our case, the ginger was), you can add them immediately after the pour so they don't char too much
  • Fish out the spices you don't want to bite down on (cloves and cinnamon stick, the rest can stay in)
  • Mix, season with salt
  • It looks like rear end so serve topped with fresh or dried herbs, chopped tomato, possibly some crumbles of cheese and a drizzle of a tasty oil
  • Flatbread goes hard with this.
  • Make your own flatbread! We believe in you!

2. Phyllo / Filo Spinach & Feta Triangles
    Filling
  • Thaw your whole-rear end pack of frozen Spinach (we used 900g = 2 pounds)
  • 200g or so of Feta
  • We used Vegetable Bullion instead of salt for the final seasoning, beware of adding too much if your feta is salty
  • ground Pepper (heaps)
  • grate some Nutmeg, as much as 1/3 or 1/2 of a whole nutmeg
  • ground Allspice, 1/2 tsp
  • ground Cloves, 1/8 tsp
  • ground Cinnamon, 1/4 tsp (again, Cassia)
  • Mix.

Assembly
  • Cut your store-bought(!) Phyllo / Filo pastry into long strips. Absolutely do not worry if it's a bit cracked or battered looking
  • Arrange around a spoonful of filling into a triangle shape near but not all the way at the bottom of the strip, then fold over the bottom bit
  • The rest should follow surprisingly easily and naturally, just keep flopping it over in a general upward direction
  • The amount of filling per pastry determines how long these hold heat after baking
  • Egg wash beneficial, but not necessary (we had no eggs)
  • Double layer pastry plausible but only if using egg wash
  • Freeze some or most of your spoils since you probably just made four dozen pockets
  • Bake around 20m at 180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4.

3. Croissants with Sweet Potato Pie Filling

Croissants
  • Be Nettles
  • Be amazing
  • Make your own Croissants
  • It's amazing
  • Since you're Nettles, also make a spreadsheet breaking down the cost to learn that the cost of croissants is almost entirely butter and labour

Sweet Potato Pie Filling adapted from this recipe (Youtube)
  • Prick the skin on two large sweet potatoes and bake until soft (this makes things less runny and sweeter than boiling or steaming)
  • Peel 'em
  • Chuck 'em in a blender
  • Add two Eggs (I subbed 120ml of condensed chickpea cooking liquid (aquafaba))
  • Add 2-3 tbsp Butter, no need to melt it (I used leftover buttercream frosting as Nettles went mad and also made a carrot cake (and pizza) in the middle of all this)
  • Add 170ml, 3/4 cup of evaporated milk (I gently boiled soy milk until the volume was reduced by half (jank hack: measure by counting the teeth on a serrated knife))
  • Add 100g, 1/2 cup of sugar (more if you want)
  • Add a generous dash of Vanilla Extract
  • Add 1 tsp each of ground Cassia and Ceylon Cinnamon
  • Add 1/8 tsp of ground Allspice (more if you want)
  • Add less than 1/8 tsp of ground Cloves
  • Grate over some Nutmeg, less than 1/5 of a whole nutmeg
  • Add 1/8 to 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice to taste, to cut through just how rich this filling is, but be very careful as adding too much makes it taste like apple sauce
  • Blend it until it strongly resembles baby food
  • Freeze any excess in an ice cube tray for ease of future portioning

Assembly (sound, but only barely)

https://i.imgur.com/lMomEHC.mp4

Finished Product

Bonus proofing croissants & pumpkin pizza & carrot cake shot + cinnamon arsenal

We probably got pretty lucky because everything turned out tasting great even though a lot of it was quite experimental. The lentils were very quick and easy to put together, and the other dishes can be tossed straight from the freezer into the oven. Even the prep on the spinach triangles was really quick and easy. Nettles wants everyone to know that they are (rightfully) very proud of the croissants. There were 50 of them. Their number dwindles every week. We would make everything again, but for the lentils we'd probably abandon the pumpkin spice challenge and use something more appropriate.

Griddle of Love fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Butter is so expensive! But each croissant came out to about 11p each, so it's pretty ok.

We also cut some of the unlaminated croissant dough in the middle of the process and deep fried it into doughnut sticks, rolled in cinnamon sugar. Genuinely amazing. The pre-lamination dough from that recipe is gonna be my go-to doughnut recipe in the future if I can ever eat sugar again.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Oh my god, this entry is too good

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Love that lentil take! I should make flatbreads.

How does filling the croissants work? It seems like it would be a good fit because they have so much air in them for the filling to fill, but does it mess with the croissanty texture? Either way I would shove it in my mouth without a second thought.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It worked very well. It compressed the layers a little, but there was enough room in there that 5-10ml of filling didn't do much damage. I only had one (because diabetic) but it was very good.

I might try making the croissant dough with less sugar next time, see how it works out. Because it was my first attempt I was following the recipe as closely as I could.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

:discourse: :discourse: :discourse:

what a delicious looking idea!! bravo

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

It worked very well. It compressed the layers a little, but there was enough room in there that 5-10ml of filling didn't do much damage. I only had one (because diabetic) but it was very good.

I might try making the croissant dough with less sugar next time, see how it works out. Because it was my first attempt I was following the recipe as closely as I could.

I might give this a try then.

Awesome work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Yes! Make flatbread. And don't be disheartened if it sticks to the pan on the first attempt. That just happens sometimes when the temperature or the dough are not quite right.

As for the croissants, we didn't give them a chance to get soggy. Fill them and eat them, done. The high fat content should also help protect the crispy exterior from internal moisture.

For the filling itself, it came out a lovely custard consistency, if yours ends up being more runny, or indeed if you use eggs, that will end up involving some extra (custard cooking) steps to get right, up to and including using some starch to thicken the whole affair.