Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I dress like a girl and drink like a man. Please date-rape me.
I’m currently about 50 hours in to Q2 and I played through Q1 like 5 years ago. Not really vibing with Q2 too much but I remember liking Q1, although I don’t remember what was that different. I think Q2 has way too many characters for one, and maybe more mechanics that feel like added complexity without more value? Or maybe it’s just that Q2 is more of the same as Q1 without the novelty of it being the first EO crossover?

For the vote, I’ll say Ken and Shinji since I don’t think I ever used them in any P3 game. For the third, let’s go with Koromaru for the doggy squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Hyahahaha! Failure as a human! Failure as a human!

ApplesandOranges posted:

"And Death Chaser lets Junpei chase his row allies' attacks with a physical attacks for a few turns, adding some incremental damage. Junpei plays the part of support attacker fairly well

They really had to give the character I dislike the most a chaser skill and the role of an attack support huh...

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Ooh, I missed this. I have very dim memories of PQ, it'll be nice to revisit it and see how much of it holds up.

Araxxor posted:

Incidentally don't camp a sub-persona for too long. If the party member who equipped it has their level outpace the sub-persona's level, their damage actually takes a hefty penalty! If they're 6 levels above it starts off at a 10% penalty, maxing out at a whopping 50% at 10 levels or above. Navigators don't have to worry about this and can use whatever sub-persona they want since this penalty only affects the party member's damage output.
oh what the heck, how were you ever supposed to know this

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

You notice it by the way people who don't upgrade fall behind people who do?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Unfortunately for Yukari, all the things that made her amazing in P3 haven't quite translated well into Persona Q. For the most part, magic as a means of primary offense is just worse compared to physicals in Q. The drain on SP is more noticeable compared to physicals draining HP, and HP is easier to recover than SP (especially with Fuuka around). There are physical elemental moves now, which means you're less reliant on magic to hit weaknesses. Magic does have some advantage (being able to ignore row placement, for instance), but for long dungeon crawls/fights, Yukari probably will be draining herself too quickly in a lot of cases.

Yeah the damage to SP ratio is not great in Q1 for magic. The damage is a bit weak as well in general. I can actually explain why this is the case.

The damage formula for the Persona Qs is incredibly simple unlike the ones for the mainline games which tend to be more complex iirc, as it's directly modified from EO3/4's damage formula, which was a very simple damage formula for the most part.

Skill Power * Stat Score * Modifiers * Difficulty

And then a random number from 1 to 10 is added on at some point in the formula to randomize damage a bit.

Unlike in Etrian Odyssey where the highest difficulty is the baseline, Normal is actually the baseline in the Persona Qs, as both the easier and harder mode apply additional modifiers to damage. 20% in your favor (less damage taken and more damage dealt) if you pick an easier one, 20% in the enemies' favor if you pick a harder one.

Modifiers are just any buffs and passives and if the target is weak or resistant to that damage type, which varies across all enemies and party members. It's not a universal 50% boost/cut or anything.

Stat score's the closest thing to a complex part in the formula.

If a physical attack is being used: sqrt(Attacker Strength/Target Endurance)
If a magical attack is being used: sqrt(Attacker Magic/(((Target Magic * 2) + Target Endurance) / 3))

Basically means offensive stats have a proportional effect on damage, but the square root induces a diminishing returns effect, so stacking a bunch of strength won't skyrocket your damage. Like having double the amount of strength compared to the enemy's endurance just amounts to a 41% damage boost instead of a 100% boost if the square root wasn't there.

Skill power is very simple. Unlike in Etrian Odyssey, it's not a multiplier. It's the amount of damage the skill deals if everything's on an even playing field. For example, Garu has a power of 42, so it deals 42 (plus the random factor) if the attacker and target have the same offensive vs. defense stats, and the target is neutral to the damage.

This is the most important part of the damage formula, so it's important for this number to be high if you want to deal big damage. This is why magic isn't looked too highly on amongst the playerbase. The numbers for magic damage are just set pretty low, and they guzzle up SP.

In fact all the elemental spells deal 42 damage for their tier 1, 85 for their tier 2, and 152 for their tier 3. AOEs deal the same amount of damage too. (Enemies are different, as they use different versions of these spells, so this doesn't apply to them.)

Zen also starts off at a massive disadvantage. His elementals only deal 30 damage (Cyclone deals 15 damage per hit, so it can hit higher since it can get 3 hits), so he's starting off at essentially a 29% damage reduction compared to them! Fortunately his card passives boost his damage, but even then he's going to fall behind the others throughout the game unfortunately.

You might have noticed that weapons and armor don't seem to factor in. That's because they don't if skills are ever used. They only matter if you're using a basic attack or the enemy is using a basic attack, or you're using an All Out Attack. Yeah. Weapons do get used in AOAs so don't neglect those.

Replace Skill Power with these if a basic attack is being used.

Player: Weapon ATK - Target Endurance
Enemy: (Attacker Strength * 3) - Target Armor

And since I mentioned AOAs, I might as well end off with this. All out attacks are kinda weird. Replace Skill Power and Stat Score with this.

Each party member chips in with their own attack, so this applies to each one: (Weapon ATK - Target MA) * sqrt(Attacker ST/Target MA) * 0.93

This is then added up, so you're kinda getting quintuple damage here. Enemy endurance doesn't factor into AOAs oddly enough. This doesn't really matter in PQ1 all too much really.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I will never understand why games will have physical and magical as options, and then absolutely kneecap one of them in favor of the other.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
People voted in Mitsuru and Yukari. And then... there was a four-way tie for third place. Guess it's time to whip out the trusty wheel.

Well, wheel has spoken.

To round it out for LPer's choice, I wanted a source of Bash damage just in case. Which meant Akihiko, Shinjiro, Aigis or Junpei (Junpei's weapon does Cut, but his Persona has a Bash skill). The elemental coverage from Akihiko is tempting, but I decided to go with Shinji; having someone a bit more durable doesn't hurt.

Not exactly the team I'd have gone with at first glance, but not a bad team all things considered. Tri-element coverage at base (Fire, Ice, Wind), and we've got a mix of healing, magic and physical power. Magic gets a bit tough to use consistently later on but it's quite handy in the first labyrinth, so this is where characters like Mitsuru can pay off well.

We also set-up our sub-Personas. We'll shuffle them round as we need to. Fuuka can also equip sub-Personas, and there are navigator-only skills (passive or in-combat) that she can use. There isn't a spare for Shinji, but we'll pick one up soon enough.

Alright, time to hop back in with our team for this labyrinth. We can choose to start from the beginning, or from the latest floor (2nd). We'll jump right back into the 2nd floor.

That's one of the Navigator-only skills that can be found on sub-Personas. An emergency exit is nice, but we can always use Goho-Ms if we absolutely had to run from a fight.

Koromaru is a bit rough early on; Mudo is nice to have and a few enemies are weak to Dark, but it's pretty expensive (our sub-Personas can barely cover one use of it). Fortunately he'll learn Agi in a few levels so he's not just using Attack, and sub-Personas will tide him over anyway.

These early eagles aren't much of a threat anyway.

They do drop a sub-Persona that we can give to Shinjiro at least; the more characters that are in Boosted state at the end of battle, the better the chances of dropping one, but we don't need to go out of the way for it; we'll be swimming in sub-Personas soon enough.

Aside from All-Out Attacks, characters may also jump in for a free attack. It doesn't do any automatic knock downs or anything like in the main games, it's usually just some free extra damage (either group or single target, depending on the character).

What, you're worn out already? Looks like you're out of shape.

Whaaaaat? C'mon, it's not just me! Back me up here, Rei-chan!

Oh, yes! I'm starving!

I suggest that we take a break here, in this appetite-stimulating area.

It does look delicious... but I don't think you can eat these.

Ah, pulp, huh?

Bleh.

It's paper! PAPER!

Hm... However realistic it looks, this is the world of a children's story. Everything here is inorganic.

I say it's good that's inedible. If these were real sweets, I'd be breaking the scales in no time.

You don't like sweets, Yuka-chan?

But, no, I love sweets. I'm a girl, after all! I'm just surprised you don't get fat after eating so much.

Get fat... Zen, have I gotten fat!?

You haven't changed.

Aww...

Is she... disappointed!? Hrgh... I envy this girl...

Is there anything you don't like eating, Rei-san? Like, bell peppers, or black coffee...

Hmm.... I don't like pulp.

That's not food...

As long as it has a flavor, I love every kind of food!

That's way too broad.

You've sure got guts. Alright, I'll give you something great.

Wow, is this cake!?

Well, welcome to 80% of Akihiko's characterization in Persona spin-offs.

Yes! Right away! Thanks for the food! Mmm... sho mealy! Ish delicious!

You can replenish over 20 grams of protein just with this one bar! It's a magical food. It'll make your power surge, your blood boil, and your muscles dance.

Wow! Power swells in you, and then blood drips from the cooked muscles, and you can dance all you want!?

That's right! If you train hard, eventually you'll get to where you can beat a bear with your bare hands!

With your bare hands? Is this true...?

Did I lie?

You're really going to snarf down protein until you're fighting a bear with just your hands? You muscle-brained idiot...

Hey... did you just call me an idiot!? Whoever says "idiot" first is the idiot. And there's nothing idiotic about protein, so watch your mouth.

....Yeah, I should have said "stupid" as well. You're a muscle-brained, stupid idiot.

What was that!? If I'm a stupid idiot, you must be an idiotically stupid idiot!

Have they always been like that?

How should I know? Just let Mitsuru-senpai deal with them.

Uhhh... let's pick the answer that's least like a lie.

Is it... delicious...? I drank some to try and put on some muscle for the archery club, but... Just don't believe more than half... or hell, about a hundredth of Akihiko-senpai's protein myths.

I see... I understand.

Dude, they're still going at it.

Oh, for... who wouldn't get mad when someone throws protein into a whole pot of cooked rice!?

Aki no

Apologize to the food, you ultra-moron!

I'd never waste food! I was just being efficient! And if I'm an ultra-moron, you're a giga-moron!

Will you give it a rest...!? It's time we got going!

Hmph.

...Tch.

Mitsuru it's okay they're boyfriends.

Anyway, let's move on.

Oh, this would be new to people who've only played the Persona games. That Venus Eagle used Makajam on Koromaru, which normally induces Mute in the main games. Here it inflicts Magic Bind.

There are three kinds of Binds in Persona Q. Strength Bind, Magic Bind, and Agility Bind. Strength Bind prevents the character from using physical attacks and their standard attacks do minimal damage. Magic Bind, as you can expect, locks out magic. Agility Bind essentially forces the target to go last and also sharply drops their dodge rate and accuracy.

We can remove Binds with Mutudi (Asparas learns it early on), or use Mutudi Gems, or they'll go away after a few turns. Binds are very potent in the player's hands, so we can certainly abuse them down the line since unlike status effects, very few bosses are immune to binds.

Moving on, we come across a pink... rabbit.

It... looks like a rabbit, but...

It's a rabbit! How cute!

There are no records of a rabbit with such vibrant pink coloration in my database.

A rabbit... Where have I...?

Um... I don't really know what that is...

Not even you, Fuuka?

It seems different from an FOE... Actually, it doesn't seem to be hostile at all. It does seem curious about you though. Almost like... it's waiting for you.

Waiting for us...? Oh, because it's Alice in Wonderland? In the book, Alice does chase after a rabbit, fall down a hole, and end up in Wonderland, after all.

Then, should we follow that rabbit?

I'm all for that! Rabbits are our friends!

You make it sound like we have to... But what if it turns out to be an enemy?

It could at least be some kind of clue. If Yamagishi is right and it's not a threat, that's significant.

I wish to chase it as well. I have memories... of seeing it somewhere...

You do...?

Well then, let's capture that pink rabbit.

A pink rabbit... that's a rare one.

...Don't eat it.

I meant "uncommon"! Not rare like how cooked it is! Hmph... I can't believe you didn't get that from context.

...Heh. You can't even take a hint.

*sigh* Enough of that! Let's hurry up and capture that rabbit!

Shinji! I challenge you to see who can capture that rabbit first!

Psh, like you'd ever win.

We step closer to the rabbit, but it hops away.

And again...

Tch.... Just when we almost got it, it keeps gettin' away.

It's running from us, but never too far away... Is it trying to lead us somewhere? What could be waiting beyond here...?

Ah...! Yuki. There appears to be a dead end up ahead.

That means we can corner it there. Let's do it.

No problem!

Heh! Stand aside, Shinji! I'll make the first move!

Wha--! Hey, hold it...!

.....!?

Uhhhhh sure.

drat, it got away!

Dude... that thing's way too strong.

I-it seems the rabbit punched a hole in the wall and escaped to the other side...

Do you think we could go through this wall to the other side?

Whaaaat? We're going through here...?

Okay, first, breathe out! Now, suck in that stomach!

Hey... You're making fun of me, aren't you?

We don't have time to complain. Come on now, let's go.

Yeah.... I guess that's our only choice...

I don't even want to know how we fit through there, but it functions as another two-way shortcut.

New enemies. Justice Swords can hit fairly hard, but they're weak to Ice and Dark so we do have two party members that can exploit that. But they can throw out some annoying status moves, like inflicting Paralysis on Shinjiro, which can cause them to freeze up and fail a move.

Koromaru was critting a lot around this time, not complaining for the chance of free Mudos. Status-inflicting moves like Sleeper Punch (found on Sandman) can be good if the character can't hit a weakness, since it can take the target out for a round at least.

And Shinjiro learns Rakunda. Pretty nice for tougher enemies to soften them up a bit. Shinjiro doesn't have a lot of SP but he can use the sub-Persona stock to throw one of these out in a battle at last.

Enslaved Beasts are weak to Fire, which we can easily exploit thanks to Makoto as well as a few of our sub-Personas having Agi. Koromaru also inflicted Sleep on this one with Sleeper Punch. Even if you hit a sleeping enemy the same turn it falls asleep, it still loses that turn.

Next room has another FOE we have to walk around for map completion, and then to a treasure chest with an armor upgrade.

I feel like we've walked a long way, but... we just ended up going in a circle?

What do you think, Yamagishi? Do you sense any large Shadows nearby?

I can't tell you. And I don't know how much longer this goes on for, either...

Ngh... If we don't know where we're headed or where the enemy is, we can't investigate for long periods.

Makoto-san, I suggest we head back. Resting and improving our equipment will help to improve our battle capabilities. Now that we've secured a route further in, I believe this is a good opportunity to return.

Nah, we're fine, let's keep going.

And Koromaru picks up Agi, which means he can now contribute to knocking down Fire-weak enemies.

We then find the map treasure box right before a door that again warns us of Shadows right after it.

Oh hey, Treasure Hands! These drop a good amount of exp, but are quick to run away and rarely have explotiable weaknesses. In fact, they get the advantage on us and one immediately runs away. The other stays put though and we wail on it a bit with physical attacks.

It then... knocks out Koro in one hit. Ouch. At least Mitsuru takes it out immediately after.

Our reward is a sub-Persona drop with extra random skills.

Ooh, neat! Scarecrow inflicts Agility Bind, and Panic Circle is a new set of skills as well. They lay a 'circle' that immediately attempts to inflict their status or Bind (in this case, Panic) on all foes, and then again at the end of every turn for the next 3 turns. You can only have one Circle out at a time, but they're very useful in some cases for trying to lock down enemies (particularly big group encounters) without spending each turn re-casting spells.

Cross-referencing it with my records. It is 99.99% chance likely that the shining enemy was a rare Shadow.

Rare Shadow?

Those guys run away so quick... To be honest, they're a pain to deal with.

But the tougher the opponent, the more experience we can get. If we come across one again, let's hit it with everything we got, before it gets away!

Sure. Right now we will exit the labyrinth though, since we don't have anything to rez Koro with.

Thankfully, selling our loot from that crawl opens up Revival Beads in Theo's shop. I immediately grab 5 to have on hand. I also upgrade Koromaru's Armor, and get Shinjiro a new weapon just in case he needs to hit something without using a skill.

We'll hop back in again next time!

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 19, 2023

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I will never understand why games will have physical and magical as options, and then absolutely kneecap one of them in favor of the other.

In this game's case, I think they overestimated how good the regenerating SP pool on the sub Personas would be and nerfed SP consuming skills a bit to compensate. This wouldn't influence the phys/mag balance in an Etrian game, but here physical skills cost HP.

Additionally, Etrian magical skills already had scaling problems in their own series because they didn't care about your weapon* until EO5; the tradeoff is that they were really good early and mid before weapon stats exploded. Reduce their base power however, and this goes away leaving them weak all game long.

*generally speaking, exceptions may apply

TL,DR: I think the devs overvalued the regenerating sub-persona SP, ignoring the other changes to the Etrian battle system, and nerfed SP skills too much to compensate for it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Makes sense. That would explain some changes in Q2.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

How dare you :mad:

I'm revoking your license!!

Uuuugh i forgot the loving protein poo poo. Akihiko used to be a compelling character drat it.

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
Yeah the Persona spin offs have a problem with flanderizing the characters

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The character writing in Persona Q has issues, to say the least.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Makes sense. That would explain some changes in Q2.

Yeah magic overall is buffed in that game. Damage formula hasn't changed, so these are just straight buffs.

Magic went from 42/85/152 damage to 50/135/235 for tier 1/2/3 magic! And SP costs got lowered across the board in that game.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

ApplesandOranges posted:

But, no, I love sweets. I'm a girl, after all! I'm just surprised you don't get fat after eating so much.

Ann vibes.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Akihiko's flanderization is, at least partially, because of P4A, a game where he's intentionally running away from his problems and burying himself in shallow justifications to not think through the consequences of his actions.

And then you backport it nearly three years of in-universe time and suddenly it doesn't work as well, who'da thunk

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I do like the banter Akihiko gets into with Shinjiro at least, which is something we honestly didn't see much of in P3 (at least on the light-hearted end).

(Honestly though as bad as Akihiko gets, I can think of a few characters in the P4 side that are as bad or worse... though not by much.)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Character Analyses - Akihiko, Mitsuru, Shinjiro

Akihiko Sanada

Weapon: Gloves (Bash)
Persona: Polydueces (Emperor)
Elemental Affinity: Weak to Ice, Resists Elec

Stats:
HP: S
SP: C
St: S
Ma: A
En: B
Ag: A
Lu: C

Learn list:
1: Zio
3: Tarunda
10: Death Counter
16: Zionga
27: Matarunda
40: Ziodyne

Akihiko has some of the best all-round stats, and a dud movepool to go with it. He's naturally very fast and strong, he can easily take a hit or three, and his Magic is sufficient enough that he can throw out a spell or two fine. His only 'weak' stats are SP and Luck and even those aren't that bad. What is a bit of an Achilles' heel for him (outside of his personality getting flanderized) is Polydeuces' movepool. We've gone over the weaknesses of Magic as a primary means of offense, and while Akihiko can do decent damage with his Zio spells you'd rather not have to rely too much on them unless he can reliably keep in Boost. Death Counter is like Junpei's Death Chaser, but defensive (he'll do a counter whenever someone in his row gets hit), which is fine since free is free damage, but relying on getting hit isn't exactly something you want when some of the strongest strategies in the game rely on locking enemies down. (Ma)Tarunda is actually pretty nice for blunting enemy offenses, but you won't get as much use of it later on since enemies have a maximum of 3 debuff slots and attack debuffs are the least valuable to have on. Also, you might notice that, like in P3, he learns absolutely zero physical skills to go with that top-tier attack...

Fortunately, sub-Personas really increase his versatility and Aki makes great use of them. He can sling physical skills with the best of them, especially with his high HP to absorb the recoil better. Like Makoto, he's fast enough that he can throw out a spell or heal when needed to, though with his smaller SP pool you'd rather not rely on that too much. Even with average Luck, Aki is that fast that you can chance throwing out a debuff early on in a fight if he has nothing better to do. He's got some weaknesses, but it's pretty hard to go wrong with throwing Akihiko into a party.

Mitsuru Kirijo

Weapons: Rapiers (Stab)
Persona: Penthesilea (Empress)
Elemental Affinity: Weak to Fire, Resists Ice

Stats:
HP: C
SP: A
St: B
Ma: S
En: C
Ag: C
Lu: B

Learnset:
1: Bufu
6: Tarukaja
12: Tentarafoo
15: Bufula
23: Mind Charge
40: Bufudyne

Mitsuru is what you'd expect from her in Persona 3: she specializes in blasting the enemy with ice magic, with Magic and SP to match. She's got Mind Charge to amplify her magic, Tentarafoo (no MARIN KARIN here, sorry) as well as a decent Luck stat to use it with, and a weirdly usable Strength stat if she had to stab something. The other primary ice caster in PQ is pretty bad, so if you needed an emergency ice user in your party, Mitsuru isn't a bad option.

Unfortunately, like Yukari, most of what made Mitsuru great in P3 hasn't crossed over well. Outside of losing some of her utility in the transition like Diarahan, Mitsuru suffers from the general weakness of magic in PQ. Mind Charge also isn't as potent here; sure the idea of buffing your next magic spell still works and you can save some SP this way, but the Boost system generally incentivizes chaincasting a spell that the target is weak to to keep up Boost, since Boosted skills are free and also get a damage boost. Re-using Mind Charge every other turn to cast a (more expensive) -dyne the next turn is a quick way to drain your SP quickly, and while you can use it on non-Boosted turns if you get knocked out of it... physical attacks generally have less spiky damage and are more consistent.

So how does Mitsuru do with sub-Personas? Well, better than Yukari, though not as much as she'd like. She can expand her magical movepool and use heals to good effect, but like Yukari, isn't fast enough to be a good emergency healer. Similarly, she can do fine in throwing out status spells, but isn't fast enough to debilitate enemies before most of them can act. She can throw out some okay physical damage, but doesn't have the endurance to stand in the frontline and she's going to be worse than actual physical attackers, even if she's the best pure mage at doing so.

Mitsuru has some odd strengths that can work, but it does feel like she could be optimized a bit more. If she had shifted some of that Strength to Agility even, she'd be a lot better.

Shinjiro Aragaki

Weapon: Bludgeons (Bash)
Persona: Castor (Hierophant)
Elemental Affinity: None

Stats:
Ma: C
En: S
Ag: C

Learnset:
1: Teardrop
3: Rakunda
23: Marakunda
33: Moondrop
40: Return of Yomi
47: Stardrop

Shinjiro is a man of extremes: he'll hit hard and take hits very well. Just don't expect him to do anything else amazingly, though he can do them in a pinch if you have to. His durability is matched by his Persona; Shinjiro is one of only two characters with zero weaknesses, and while he has no resistances, it means he almost never has to worry about being Downed. Return of Yomi also has a chance of healing himself up when he drops low on health, further making him harder to kill (ironically). (Ma)Rakunda drops enemy defenses, which is about the best use of his limited SP pool that you can ask for, as it's unaffected by Magic and killing things faster means he won't need to recast it as much. Finally, the Teardrop line drops enemy defenses for the remainder of the round. While this may seem at odds with Shinji's low Speed, it can be very potent if you get him into Boost or can manipulate him to go fast with skills or support. Oddly enough, this is actually one line where you don't want to upgrade the skill. For whatever reason, Teardrop has the strongest defense debuff attached to it while Stardrop has the worst, while also consuming less HP. Stardrop will do more damage, but for the job that it's supposed to do, you might as well use Teardrop and switch to other skills if you need Shinjiro to hit hard.

Shinjiro's skillset is pretty elegantly designed, but he can also expand his role with sub-Personas. Tanking skills are an obvious boon in his hands, as he can redirect attacks to himself well (oh...) with his solid durability, lack of weaknesses and eventually self-healing. Better physical attacks are of course good to allow him to put that high Strength to use (especially those that hit multiple times or can crit more often to get him to Boost), as are skills that let him jump ahead in turn order. Otherwise though, Shinji is pretty usable, just unable to capitalize on enemy weaknesses as well as other characters.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 20, 2023

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah for whatever reason Teardrop has the best defense debuff, set to a 140% multiplier, while the ones after it drop down to 120%. Ouch.

At least the damage increases from 58 to 158 to 202? But yeah I would rather have the initial version, and it's a shame you're forced to "upgrade" it.

And yeah that's an example of a physical that easily outclasses magic in terms of damage.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

(Honestly though as bad as Akihiko gets, I can think of a few characters in the P4 side that are as bad or worse... though not by much.)

See those don't bother me as much because those characters never had much more to begin with :v:

(Though, i remember Yukiko being pretty good in this one.)

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Araxxor posted:

Fun fact, row has absolutely no effect on damage in the Persona Qs. All it does is restrict the range of melee attacks (If you're in the back row, you can't smack the enemy's back row with melee). Probably done since the Persona games don't really have a row mechanic. All it does is reduce enemy aggro, as they're less inclined to smack the back row.

Magic also affects infliction rates as well, though luck is twice as powerful as magic for doing so. However unlike in Etrian Odyssey 3 and 4 (Which these games' code are based on) the effect is rather minimal unless you're like a hundred of magic and luck points above the enemy's.

Out of curiosity, is the ailment infliction formula for these games known? I thought that it was similar to EO3 and 4's.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

LiefKatano posted:

Out of curiosity, is the ailment infliction formula for these games known? I thought that it was similar to EO3 and 4's.

It's based on EO3 and 4's, but there are some big differences. For reference, here's the formula used in EO3 (HD) and EO4.

quote:

Ailment Score = (2 * Attacker's LUC + Attacker's TEC) - (2 * Target's LUC + Target's TEC)

If Ailment Score is less than or equal to -18, then X = Skill Accuracy
If Ailment Score is greater than -18, but less than 22, then X = [{1.17 + 0.83 * sin(0.07 * A - 0.20)} * Skill Accuracy]
If Ailment Score is greater than or equal to 22, then X = 2 * Skill Accuracy

Infliction Rate = (X + A Random Number From 0 to 9) * Target's Resistance

Remaster Notes:
If the difficulty is set to Basic and an enemy unit is being attacked, multiply the Infliction Rate by 1.2.
If the difficulty is set to Basic and a player unit is being attacked, multiply the Infliction Rate by 0.8.
If the difficulty is set to Picnic and an enemy unit is being attacked, multiply the Infliction Rate by 2.
If the difficulty is set to Picnic and a player unit is being attacked, multiply the Infliction Rate by 0.1.

If Infliction Rate is greater than 90, then Infliction Rate = 90

Basically if you have enough LUC and TEC, your infliction rate is doubled. If you don't have a lot, rates could end up being reduced by around 65%. But there's a bug. If you have too little of those stats in comparison to the enemy's, it's set to the base rate.

However in the Persona Qs...

quote:

Ailment Score = (2 * Attacker's Luck + Attacker's Magic) - (2 * Target's Luck + Target's Magic)

If Ailment Score is less than or equal to -38, then X = Skill Accuracy
If Ailment Score is greater than -38, but less than 184, then X = [{1.15 + 0.5 * sin(0.014 * A - 1)} * Skill Accuracy]
If Ailment Score is greater than or equal to 184, then X = 2 * Skill Accuracy

Infliction Rate = (X + A Random Number From 0 to 9) * Target's Resistance

The skeleton of the formula is the same, but the constants are changed, leading to a much longer curve, and severely dampening the effectiveness of stats. Oh and the 90% infliction cap was thankfully removed.

The bug is still not fixed, as having too low infliction stats again sets the rates back to base. The range in EO3/4 is 0.3535 to 2x In PQs it's 0.65x to 1.63x.

If you somehow have 184 more ailment score it goes back up to 2x but that's uh, not happening. If your ailment score is the same as your target's, you have 1x infliction rate in EO3/4. In the Persona Qs it's 0.73x Yes being on even ground worsens your infliction by 27%. You need 50 more ailment score than the target to reach a neutral rate.

Unlike in EO3 HD, difficulty has no effect on infliction rates in the Persona Qs, as that piece of design wasn't implemented until Etrian Odyssey Untold, and the Persona Qs are based off of EO4.

The EOs also have a mechanic known as Accumulative Resistance where everyone becomes more resistant to a specific disable the more they get inflicted with it to prevent spamming the same disable for the entire fight. This mechanic is not in the PQs.

There's one thing I left out, but I'll talk about it when the LP gets to that.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Araxxor posted:

If your ailment score is the same as your target's, you have 1x infliction rate in EO3/4. In the Persona Qs it's 0.73x Yes being on even ground worsens your infliction by 27%. You need 50 more ailment score than the target to reach a neutral rate.

Wow! That's incredibly annoying.

Thanks for the info, though! I find this kinda stuff incredibly interesting :P

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Whew... a dead end, huh?

It really is a maze in here. I feel like I'm in an amusement park or something.

Actually, if you think of it as an amusement park, doesn't it seem kinda fun?

But that'd mean there were Shadows there, too. You ask me, that seems more creepy than fun.

Oh, you have a point... Now that you mention it, I'm starting to feel the same way...

Jun-chan? Are you impressionable?

C'mon, no way.

Oh, but if you put it that way... I'm starting to feel like I am...

...He's extremely impressionable.

I-I'm not that bad!

Is that so?

Uh, no, I guess I am...

I guess he is... let's move on.

Koro-cha- I mean, the dog is in trouble!

Certain pairs of characters have banter, which I always forget to show off. Including this one because it's :3: (Don't worry, Koro's fine.)

Watch the rabbit's movements and look for someplace you can drive it into a corner!

We basically have to chase the rabbit into the corner into the room where there's another painting.

Oho, we've driven you into a corner, little rabbit.

W-we'll get it for sure this time! Let's go on the count of three!

Sounds good! One... two...!

..Yeah, that ain't gonna work.

Aaaaand, it escaped again!

Let's go after it!

Anyway, we can now jump through the painting to progress.

Most of it seems useless... but we might find a use for some of these.

I bet Mitsuru-senpai could use that sword.

Ah... recycling, hm? That's an admirable approach to take. But this labyrinth is dangerous. I highly doubt that using this sword would be risk-free.

It's not a bad idea, though. No reason not to save some dough.

True... Well then, I'll leave it up to your judgement.

We go to grab it, and...

Oh no.

It's fine, everything's fine.

(most of the enemies are Panicked due to a Panic Circle I throw up, and one's sleeping from Sleeper Punch from a sub-Persona Koromaru has.)

(also not shown: people getting KO'd a few times and having to be revived.)

Whew... a Shadow, camouflaging itself? It seems things aren't as simple here as we might assume. We must take greater caution from here on and--

Arf! Arf!

Koromaru returned with a sword in his mouth!

K-Koromaru! Weren't you listening to what she was just-

Hm? That one's real.

...Huh?

He says that the Shadow we just fought dropped it.

Indeed, the sword Koromaru brought back seems to be real... Obtained Flamberge!

Hm... this seems like quite the fine weapon. Well done, Koromaru.

...G-good job, Koromaru! You did just like I told you to!

Arf?

A weapon upgrade is nice, but on Mitsuru? She'll rarely be attacking unless it's a Stab weakness. Well, it's free...

Two FOEs confirmed. Shall we prepare for combat?

There's no need to be so reckless. Let's synchronize our movement with theirs and slip past them.

I sense tremendous power from those FOEs. Be careful...

Not much to say, we just have to watch their movements and move on. We do have to slip in from a shortcut in the next room to get a treasure chest behind the second FOE (just contains some sellable loot).

Sleeping Tables start to appear and, as the name implies, they can try to put the party to sleep. They also have Maragi (though they take a turn to prepare for it first), so Mitsuru has to watch out. Thankfully, they're weak to Ice so she can give back as good as she gets.

Mitsuru learns Tarukaja, and I hop back to heal before continuing.

We're catching it for sure this time!

It just hops down the stairs, though.

drat... for that rabbit to go down the stairs to easily with a body like that... Those are some well-trained muscles! I like this thing even more!

Oh well. Let's pursue it.

And on we go!

I'm okay!

...Are you feeling scared?

I-I'm not scared!

But your hands are shaking...

Shaking with EXCITEMENT! So my body temperature rises and my digestion improves and I can eat even more!

I... don't think that's how "shaking with excitement" works...

I'll do my best. See, I want to go back with you all! Let's keep working together, Ken-chan! *munch munch*

Jelly? *gasp* Zen, are you all jelly?

Jelly...? What do you mean?

You're not all jelly...?

As I said, what do you mean? Does it look like I am made of this "jelly" you speak of?

No...

...Is Zen-kun really that dense?

Dense? What is this all about?

Hrm!? Uh, um um um...! Thank you... very much...

.... Mm...

See? He's totally glaring at us!

Though I was serious about Rei-chan being cute. Like, look how innocent she is! That's how a girl should be, you know?

...What're you looking at me for?

I mean, just the other day... C'mon, hear me out, Makoto! Yuka-tan and I were in the hallway, and we heard someone say, "Yukari-san has such a nice figure..."

Oh gosh. As funny as the second option might be, I'm more scared of Yukari.

"Ugh." That was it!

All I hear is people talking about me behind my back!

That's not cute at all!

It's not like I want you to call me cute anyway.

Ooh, then who DO you want to hear that from? Hmmmmmmm?

...but I'm also not above teasing her. Best P3 girl, fight me. :colbert:

H-hey! What the heck!?

That's not how you acted when I said it! What gives!?

Honestly... how much longer are you going to play around? Do you want to be left behind!?

Haha, you got told!

Well, whose fault do you think THAT is!? Geez...!

I love these two. :allears:

Elizabeth has something she'd like to discuss, so please come to the Velvet Room. It sounds like it's good news! We'll be waiting for you...!

...Sounds fishy.

You intend to take your chances on the lower probability. That is quite "manly". Well then, I recommend that we go before we forget.

Yeah that's right, Makoto Yuki always bets high. He won't switch doors in the Monty Hall problem.

I do intend to head back, but first, I realized I was actually missing a few percentage points from the lower floors, so I double back to floor 1 and 2 to fill out the remaining gaps so I can unlock the treasure chests.

The prize for Floor 1 completion is actually really nice. Heal Stone is basically a reusable Medicine (heals 50 hp), which is solid for this point of the game and lets someone fast like Koromaru or Akihiko function as a mini-healer that doesn't use resources. You can't use it outside of battle but you can use Medicines to do that and save the Heal Stone for in-battle.

While getting the last few % points for floor 2, I do run into a few dead ends I had missed, so we've got an extra scene.

What could this be...? It says it's a "pop-up picture book".

...This seems suspicious.

Yeah. With this place. I wouldn't be surprised if something actually did pop out of it.

There's a four-leaf clover drawn on the cover, though. Does this mean I can eat it?

How'd you make that leap?

Look, we're opening it! If a Shadow comes out, then bring it on!

And how'd you make THAT leap?

Huh? What's this?

It's a four-leaf clover!

Wh-what? Why did a clover fall out...? Was it being pressed in the book?

You open the picture book once more, but no four-leaf clovers fall out... Upon closer inspection, the four-leaf clover has disappeared from the book's cover...

That's where it's supposed to pop out from!?

There is the reaction we all waited so long for.

Uh, th-thanks...

Aigis is trope-aware and knows that Yukari is the straight man. Anyway, the Four-Leaf Clover is just an accessory that give +1 Luck. Might as well slap it onto Mitsuru.

W-well... I'm glad it was nothing dangerous. Now, let's hurry on.

Where can we find a picture book that food pops out of...?

I-I guess you haven't had enough to eat yet...

One way to help lock down Wealth Hands if you run into one is to try to inflict Agility Bind with something like Scarecrow. That leaves it unable to dodge or run away, leaving it easy pickings. Panic also works if you can land it.

And our prize for completing floor 2 is... a skill card. Not as good as the Heal Stone, but I guess we can talk about them.

Unlike the main games, our main Personas have only four skill slots instead of eight for the moves they learn while levelling up. However, they also have four unlockable slots which we can use skill cards on, giving someone permanent access to that skill (unless you overwrite it with another, of course). Recarm resurrects someone with 50% hp, but it is fairly expensive SP wise so ideally you'd never want to use it.

I'll probably end up throwing it on Orpheus because well, we have to bring Makoto everywhere anyway and he's got enough Agility to use it as an emergency and a decent stock of SP.

Next time we'll find out what Elizabeth wants and continue exploring the 3rd floor.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

It's good to see you again. I remember struggling against enemies on the 3rd floor, even after hitting their weakness múltiple times in a row. Hopefully it goes smoothly for You.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Enemies in this game, especially FOEs, are absurdly beefy. In a standard Etrian Odyssey game, I feel like the first FOE you run into is reasonably able to be fought and defeated by the time you hit the fifth floor at worst.

I think in this game, I couldn't beat the Card Soldiers until the end of the second dungeon?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Character Analyses - Aigis, Koromaru and Ken Amada

Aigis

Weapon: Artillery (Bash)
Persona: Palladion (Chariot)
Elemental Affinity: Resists Stab, Weak to Elec

Stats:
Ma: C
En: S
Ag: D

Learnset:
1: Single Shot
6: Safeguard
11: Swordbreaker
16: Assault Shot
25: Body Shield
38: Heavy Shot
41: Life Wall

Aigis' stats are very similar to Shinjiro: she excels at taking hits and doing physical damage, but isn't great at just about anything else. While Shinjiro functioned mostly as a supportive bruiser, Aigis' natural skills steer her towards being a tank; the Safeguard line lets her redirect attacks onto herself for reduced damage (from one ally, to her row, then from the entire party). With Aigis' natural endurance this makes your party much safer. Adding to that is her learning the Swordbreaker passive naturally. Passives are generally some of the best skills your party members can learn, since they're always active no matter what sub-Persona you're using. Swordbreaker has a 50% chance of halving physical damage done to Aigis' row, which makes it really great for either making your back line squishes more survivable or your front line that much tankier. Aigis will make your party sturdier just by existing, and she can actively further increase that mitigation.

There's also Aigis' unique ability of Orgia Mode. This doubles Aigis' output for three turns (which really means two since she spends one of those turns turning it on) and stacks with any other damage multipliers, as well as removing any ailments or Binds affecting her. She does have a hefty cooldown afterwards, but if you set things up right, Aigis can basically murder any boss in the 1-2 turns afterwards. Even without that, Aigis can hit just as hard as Shinjiro, so she can throw out physical skills just as well without resorting to Orgia.

Little things do hold Aigis back, though. While she's great at increasing party survivability and wiping bosses with the right set-up, Aigis isn't exactly efficient at dungeon clearing. Like Shinjiro, Aigis is slow and her natural elements are limited, only having Bash and Stab. Aigis' weakness to Elec is also unfortunate as it is one of the more common elements, and her Stab resistance rarely comes into play, while Shinjiro doesn't have to worry about weaknesses. Aigis is fairly dependent on her sub-Persona skills to get around her sluggish speed and lack of versatility, but she can certainly excel once you know what you're doing with her.

Koromaru

Weapon: Daggers (Cut)
Persona: Cerberus (Strength)
Elemental Affinity: Resists Fire, Nulls Dark, Weak to Light

Stats:
HP: C
St: A
Ma: B
Ag: S

Learnset:
1: Mudo
4: Agi
7: Sukukaja
15: Agilao
22: Mudoon
27: Masukukaja
40: Agidyne

Zoom! Koromaru's claim to fame can be obvious from his stats: he's the fastest character in the game, which is plenty of utility in its own right. Having a character that can go first means Koro can throw emergency items, heal or revive, or just attempt to hit a weakness or debilitate an enemy. Koromaru has enough offensive stats to hurt things, though he prefers using physicals. He also has a pretty good elemental loadout at the start, resisting Fire and nulling Dark right off the bat.

Unfortunately, Koromaru's strengths kinda stop there. The rest of his stats are very middling, which hurt the avenues that his amazing speed would otherwise open up. He naturally learns Mudoon, but his Luck means he just has an okay chance of it landing (though it never hurts to try with how fast he is). He doesn't exactly have the SP to keep flinging statuses in the hope that they'll stick, and while he can emergency heal in a pinch with usable Magic, again, his SP pool doesn't encourage prolonged use of it. Despite being a frontliner, he's about as durable as Mitsuru, which means, not very. And like Akihiko, he learns no physical skills naturally, which means he's quite reliant on his sub-Persona to give him damage options. Masukukaja is a decent buff, but with only three buff slots, it's probably one of the first ones you stop using.

Don't let that stop one from using Koro, though. He's a glass cannon, but one that still does his job pretty well, and that speed is never something to sneeze at. Also, he's cute. Pair him with one of his buddies Shinjiro or Aigis to help take a hit for him, and he'll do his job fine.

Ken Amada

Weapons: Spears (Stab, Long Range)
Persona: Nemesis (Justice)
Elemental Affinity: Resists Light, Weak to Dark

Stats:
HP: D
St: C
Ma: B
Ag: A
Lu: S

Learnset:
1: Hama
4: Zio
13: Recarm
15: Zionga
20: Hamaon
38: Ziodyne
44: Samarecarm

Ken is a bit of a specialized kid. Like Koromaru, Ken learns an instant-kill skill, and like Koro, he's pretty fast (not sonic speed, but fast enough). Where Ken excels though, is that he has the highest Luck in the game. This makes his Hamaons pretty accurate, along with any other status moves he might be carrying. Along with his plenty usable speed, this makes Ken one of the most reliable ways to land instant kills, throw out statuses, or bind enemies. He's got a revival spell for emergencies, and while his Strength isn't exactly brag-worthy, he's got a high chance to crit, and Boosted state will help preserve his otherwise somewhat shallow SP pool.

That's kind of where the buck stops. Outside of status and maybe a bit of healing, Ken isn't exactly great at anything else. His offense ranges from mid to poor (depending on how often you can crit), his SP isn't as high as you'd expect of an otherwise dedicated caster, and more glaringly, Ken is arguably the most fragile character in the game. No elemental weaknesses helps a bit, but it might not mean much when a strong hit can send him crumpling regardless, especially if he's throwing out some physical skills which depletes his HP further. Using Ken might practically necessitate having someone ready to jump in front to... take a bullet for him, as it were. Ken really wants his sub-Persona to give him actual status effects to throw around (Hamaon isn't much use on bosses), and maybe give him a physical attack to use in emergencies (you don't want him draining his SP further with Ziodyne after all).

Still, Ken's usable enough in a fight. Makoto kinda does similar stuff to Ken but in a less fragile body, but otherwise, for that niche, it's hard to beat Ken in terms of raw potential. Just... make sure nothing is actually trying to beat him literally.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Aigis is one of the best party members in the game, as I recall. Akihiko, too.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

It seems Elizabeth wishes to speak with you. You should go see what she has to say...

Preparations?

If multiple Personas can be summoned, then you will require fusion.

Fusion...?

Fusion is the secret art of using two or more Personas to create a new one...

I'm actually going to skip a lot of the preamble here; fusion is pretty much how it works in the base games - you mash two Personas to create another one, and you can carry over select skills to the new Persona. The Compendium also opens up (as does Streetpass).

I won't go over too much into fusion, though you can assume I'll be doing it over the playthrough. I do make this Mokoi for Shinjiro though.

Back to the third level. Burning Beetles are the 'big' enemy of this labyrinth. They always appear alone, but they hit really hard and can act twice a turn. Fortunately, as the name suggests, they have an obvious weakness to Ice.

The Mokoi I gave Shinjiro has Pain-Eater, which goes first in a round, increases defense, and increases the chance he'll get targeted for 3 turns. Really helpful to help redirect attacks away from the squishier members (though it's still not guaranteed).

And that's through Pain-Eater, ouch. Shinjiro can Defend his following turns though to cut that damage down to about ~20, while Fuuka heals the party up.

Burning Beetles can also throw out Thorn Chains, which can inflict Magic Bind. Shinjiro isn't bothered too much by it (Pain-Eater costs SP but it should go first anyway), and on anyone else it'll probably just knock them out outright.

They can also throw out Maragi, which is not great for Mitsuru. Though it hurts less than its physicals anyway.

The ideal option is to have multiple characters throwing Bufus and hopefully stun it for a round. But you can also try to restrict it with Disarm or Scarecrow to inflict Physical/Agility Bind, or put it to sleep with something like Sleeper Punch which will at least force it to skip its turn.

Koromaru-san has discovered a bud sprouting in the flower pot!

U-um... Aren't you curious what kind of flower it will grow into? Oh, but it would need water first... If only we could find something that would let us water it.

Guess we'll come back later. We move on and hit a shortcut.

...Yep, no doubt about it. This is a secret passage. Okay, we've checked it out, so can we go through now?

No reason why not..

Alright, we got brand new places to explore now.

Whoa, you're being cautious for once?

Hey, even I learn from my mistakes. C'mon, let's keep going...

...Hm? E-Everyone! Look this way for a moment!

Huh? What's up?

Eh!? Whaaaaaaat!? How could it not... S-sorry, everyone. And after I was so careful before we passed through...

It's not your fault. This is the first time we've been through a passage with no return. But forewarned is forearmed. Going forward, let's consider the layout on the other side of a wall.

Whew... I dodged a scolding... Be careful of one-way passages, okay!? That's your job from here on! Got it!?

*sigh* He's coming on strong all of a sudden... geez...

Well, that's our introduction to one-way shortcuts. The game at least gives you a warning before you use them and they're marked accordingly as one-way arrows on the map with the shortcut icon.

Past a lot of one-way shortcuts later...

Koromaru also picks up Sukukaja. Neat, though I don't see myself using it very often; one-target buffs have to usually be really good, and Sukukaja ain't it.

Anyway, through a door at the southeast part of the map.

It seems to be painting the roses red.

It started moving as soon as it finished painting the roses. That soldier also seems to be sticking within its own territory... But if it doesn't leave that area, there'll be no chance for us to pass it.

Oh, that reminds me of a similar scene from Alice in Wonderland... Hey, Fuuka! Wasn't there a part in the book like this?

They were desperate to do it so the Queen wouldn't punish them...

I see... Then if we could make those roses white, we could slip by the soldier while he painted them red again.

Woof woof!

What's wrong, Koro-chan? Oh, a watering can! If we pour water on those roses, it might wash the paint off!

It seems worth a try. C'est magnifique, Koromaru!

Arf!

That lets us wash off paint from the roses, at which point the closest FOE will turn to paint them. It'll stay at the roses for about 3-4 steps before moving again. We can do this as many times as we want, of course, the watering can just stays full.

We do duck down the right side of the room, distracting a second FOE with flowers to grab this treasure chest. We can just sell that for money before moving on and finding a shortcut that means we won't have to do that section again.

I've got other ways to hurt.

New enemies. Heat Balances are weak to Wind and Dark, and they can use Mind Charge and then Maragi. The Haberies aren't especially noteworthy, though they can inflict Magic Bind.

Also now that we have the watering can, we can double back to that flowerpot from earlier.

Ooh, great idea! Let's try giving it some water.

Huh, that's it? Can't we give it some more?

You can't give it too much water! That'll actually cause it to wilt!

O-oh.

We should mark this place on our map. Then we can come back later to water it again!

We'll get another chance to re-water the plant each time we re-enter the labyrinth. Just as well, I needed to do some shopping/healing/fusion anyway.

Our loot unlocks Plum Potpourris in the shop, which give a hefty +20 SP. I don't buy them yet, but I'm definitely considering picking one up before finishing; that extra SP can come in very handy for when you have to use more spells.

Anyway, back into the labyrinth so we can water that plant.

Oh, thank goodness... It grew.

Looks like it's not done, either. Why don't we water it some more? Get bigger, little guy.

Welp, that's all for now. Let's come back later and do it again.

And we will, later on.

Entering hunter mode.

Chase it down a corner, through a hallway (with a fork that has both a painting and a shortcut exist branching from it...) and into a room (with a shortcut) where we chase it into a corner with another painting.

We have cornered it. Entering capture mode.

*sigh* I'm starting to get the feeling that we'll never catch it... Though I guess it doesn't matter too much, since another path has opened up.

We actually don't have to go too far before we see it again, since it leads back to near where we chased it down the first time.

Where else could we corner it...? Why don't we search around a bit before making another try? Wait, look at that!

You know, that's true...

In other words, we only need to lure the rabbit here. But we'll need to use a secret passage to drive it into this crossroads...

Hmm... So, first we need to find a secret passage that'll do the trick. I remember there being a way to tell where secret passages were... Let's keep our eyes open.

Not too hard, we chase the rabbit to the crossroads, then double back, use the shortcut from the end room, which leads directly to the crossroads where we left the rabbit.

And boom.

It charged through the wall again.

.....Out of simple curiosity, is this how rabbits typically jump? It almost looks like a very bizarre star shape...

That's how bunnies jump! My friend's bunny spreads its arms and legs when it sleeps and jumps too!

I-I see... that seems like an odd breed of rabbit.

C'mon, let's get going.

Through the new hole, and we come up to a door.

...Scan complete. This padlock is made of a material resistant to all external forces. It would be considerably faster to find the key.

Okay. We'll check that path over there first.

There's only one way to go, past another Power Spot and into another room.

A door? But there doesn't seem to be any nearby...

Oh, that must be it! There seems to be something beyond that door...

So you say... But that is a rather small door. Even Koromaru couldn't fit through.

Mitsuru-san, I've found something.

Wasn't that from Alice in Wonderland? If I remember right, drinking it makes you small...

Huh? A drink from Licorice in Walnutland that makes you smell like delicious food!? I want some!

How would the human body manage that!? Look, you really shouldn't.

I-I'll pass, too...

Aww, shorty afraid he's gonna get even shorter?

...It's not nice to tease people on sensitive subjects like that!

Understood.

It has a light, fruity bouquet.

Uh, I wasn't asking how it tastes.

No changes detected in my height, weight, or my bust, waist, or hip measurements. In addition, there seems to be no components harmful to the human body.

So it's safe, but it doesn't make you small... What good is it for, then?

What should we do....? Say, Akihiko, Shinjiro...

What? You think I enjoy dealing with a crazy person who starts wrestling matches in the middle of the night?

Look who's talking! When you smuggled in that stray cat, I ended up getting scolded right alongside you!

If you're gonna bring that up, maybe I should remind you about the time...!

*sigh* Not again...

Huh? I don't really know...

Yes, they are. They spent their childhood at the same institution.

Institution...?

...Well, it doesn't matter now.

...Guess not.

If those two were shrunk, perhaps it would quiet them down.

Hell, I'll drink it, just to prove what a coward you are.

Psh, say what you want.

Hmph, you can't do that, can you? Then you'd better apologize to me! Say you're sorry you never cooked anything for me in your life!

...What?

You're a pretty good cook, right? But I'm stuck eating beef bowls at Umiushi. And you're fine with that!?

You eat their beef bowls because you like 'em! I mean, why the hell should I cook for you!? I'd rather drink this poo poo than cook for you and watch you slather that protein crap all over it!

Yikes, there he goes.

Those idiots...!

Man, is that really why they were fighting...?

(Imagine squeaky voices for the next part.)

Hah! That doesn't hurt one bit!

Last chance! Say you're sorry!

Right back at ya!

Hurry up and say uncle!

That's my line, dammit!

That's quite enough!

Don't get in the way of men having it out!

Do you want me to freeze you two together permanently?

Idiots. :allears:

How strange. My component analysis was flawless.

There's still two bottles of this drink left...

Then I want some!

No. It's dangerous.

I want to--

No.

I--

No.

Geez!

You're not gonna drink this, right? Then, don't mind if I do... Ehehehe...

Hey... Are you scheming something?

Oh, no! Not at all! I just thought it'd be fun to get smaller and try a different viewpoint...

Viewpoint...? Wait-- You moron! You just want to look up our skirts!

Oh, you figured it out...?

There's absolutely no way I'm letting you drink that!

I mean, the solution is obvious. Also, ugh, Junpei.

Huh...? Me!?

Whaaat...? If Yuka-tan shrinks down, then I won't be able to see...!

What?

Nothing!

Ugh, fine! Our leader and I'll drink them. And that's final! Got it!?

It doesn't look like you can talk your way out of this...

Welp, here goes. Down the hatch...

Hrgh... We're not stuck like this, right!?

H-hey, Koromaru! Not so close --- Eeek!

H-hey! Stop licking me!

Th-that really tickles!

Eeek! My skirt!

Gah, nooooo!

Your wagging tail is -- Aaaaaah!

Ow ow ow ow ow!

Grr... woof!

It seems Koromaru-san's feral nature has awakened.

You have somehow managed to get away from Koromaru...

*pant* *gasp* I'm gonna die...

*gasp* *cough* That was... a good workout...

*wheeze* Don't... make me run so much.... *urp*

Th-that must be it.... Let's hurry up.... grab it.... and get back...

Yeah... Right...

Ugh... I'm wet all over... Why did this happen...?

Working together, you manage to grab the key and stagger away...

Oh, there they are! Welcome back!

Yeah... We're back...

Are you okay...? Do you want some yakitori?

Urp... No thanks... The gamey smell is too much right now...!

We got the key...

Well done. C'est magnifique!

Woof!

D-don't come near me!

*whine*

"I lost control, I'm sorry..." This is what he said.

I see a smiiiile

Arf arf!

W-we get it! So don't lick me anymore!

Ha... When those two start quarreling again, feel free to lick them as much as you want, Koromaru.

What's the matter, my sister?

Two doors... And the power of the wild card affecting even its surroundings... Is there another with the power of the wild card here...?

Elizabeth?

You should try finding the door with the padlock on it...

You insert the Small Door Key into the keyhole and remove the padlock!

Alright, it's open.

Arf arf!

Hngh...! I'm getting flashbacks...!

Ha... People say a dog won't involve itself in domestic disputes, but it seems Koromaru did with these two. ...Koromaru, if they start arguing again and you want to lick them, I'll allow it.

Arf!

N-no! Anything but that!

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 22, 2023

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speaking of fusion, I just remembered this website I saw a while back that lets you custom create your own QR Personas. I have to wonder how people manage to datamine something like that down to such an exact science.

Also, assuming it's alright, showing the full map of a floor at the end of a floor might help give an idea of what all is where in relation to certain events.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's nice to get to spend some time with Shinjiro. Shame most of his interactions are with some juice bro I don't recognize, but I'm glad he's here.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Let's water the flower again.

Oh, this is amazing! A flower's budding!

Not much longer until it blooms then, huh?

Yeah, I'm sure it'll bloom if we keep watering it!

It might blossom soon.

Let's come back some other time!

You have to get real close to some FOEs to fill out the map as they go along their patrol route.

Oh, this thing...

A "pop-up picture book"... I recall seeing another one of these elsewhere.

There's a monster drawn on the cover of this one... So, what'll it be? This one doesn't seem any less suspicious than the other one.

Well let's open it!

...Well, that was obvious.

Mitsuru gets off her personal follow-up and we finish it in style.

It seems this picture was the Shadow that jumped out a moment ago.

It really was a pop-out picture book... though I wish it had stayed inside.

Yuki. We may encounter more instances of this phenomenon. Let's always take cautious when approaching anything that seems suspicious.

This could be troublesome... Though it won't be an issue if we seal the soldier's movement. Let's make sure we have a firm grasp of this area first. We're counting on you.

We've got two FOEs here, one of whom is patrolling the hallway we need to get past, and another that's guarding a rose bush. We've got another rose bush down below.

Not very complicated, we wash off the paint on the lower rose bush to distract the guard from the upper one, then wash that one off to distract the one in the hallway. Then we chase the rabbit down the hallway.

A new path is open... but I wonder how much longer this labyrinth can go on.

I-it looks like you're almost at the end of this floor. So, try and cheer up, Yukari-chan! Please?

Hrgh... S-Sorry. We gotta hang in there a bit more, I guess.

Makoto picks up Gurentou around this time. It's Cut + Fire physical damage, which is nice since it'll let us hit Fire weaknesses without burning SP.

Arf arf!

Koromaru seems to be frolicking in the roses...

You... like roses?

Arf!

Heh... C'mon, let's take one back as a souvenir.

We'll find a use for this... later. We're almost at the end!

One... two... three of them!?

Alright, let's go!

H-hey! Get back here! Tch! Looks like we better go in after him.

Three of them huh...? Sounds fun. This'll be a nice handicap.

Don't be ridiculous! There are three FOEs here!

These FOEs... they're the ones that paint roses, right? There happen to be three rosebushes that I can see, so let's get through this that way.

Actually, considering how they're placed, this won't be easy... We'll need to carefully consider which FOE we have paint which rose.

Oh, and leader, just as a reminder... The card soldiers go back to their patrol once they finish painting the roses. It takes some time for them to finish, so leaving the room should return them to their positions.

We're leaving this to you, Yuki.

Urgh, I have to do all the work around here... alright, let's see what we're dealing with.

We've got the three rose bushes in the empty spaces in this map (one on each side of the entrance, and then one in the middle). There's one FOE that patrols up and down the sides from the bottom bushes, and then one that just moves along the top. That's the one we'll need to get rid of. There's also two one-way shortcuts at the bottom corners of the room in case we need to reset the map and the FOEs are blocking the room exits.

...as an aside, I get jumped by a Burning Beetle and things went... less great. Taking a moment to run back and heal, and we might as well take the chance to water the flower again.

Ooh, it bloomed! Wait a sec... The flower fell off...

What, seriously?

It's too bad that it's already fallen off...

Where there is a beginning, there will always be an end. All that prospers must decay.

...Hey, let's bring it back with us. You never got a chance to actually see it, right, Fuuka?

Oh, no, I didn't! Thank you, Junpei-kun!

Ooh, that is handy. It's a +20 SP accessory.

Wow, Junpei. That brings you up a notch in my book.

Hmm? Are you falling for me now?

I take it back. Why don't you go find some dirt and plant yourself?

A death sentence....!?

Anyway, back to the FOE puzzle. The solution is to paint the center rose bush to distract one of the FOE's patrolling along the sides. Then, we paint one of the bottom bushes when the topmost FOE is closest to it, which makes it circle round to get to it. From there we can move on.

Aside from the staircase and a shortcut, we also have a treasure box. That's a SP recovery item, which will be good for a rainy day.

We've also finished this floor, so we can go back to the map treasure box. A Media skill card is... less useful, since it doesn't scale well past the mid-game, but it's an additional source of healing, I guess.

Here's also our completed map for this floor. ...It doesn't look as pretty since I never bothered to add in the doors.

Huh? He's not running away. Well, I guess we can catch him now... Wah!?

Rabbit goes poof.

Th-the rabbit's presence has completely disappeared!

A rabbit... Where did I....? ...It's no use. I don't think I can remember...

That was a rare one, too...

This ain't the time to be sulking over that. This place... It's obviously nowhere we've been so far.

...Rei, are you alright?

...M-Mm-hm. I made my choice, after all.... to leave here...

...Yes, you're right. Let's continue.

Here's an extra save point in the dungeon. We can also use it to warp out (and then warp back in from this point).

Before we go to the end, let's see how our party is looking for it.

I gave the Recarm skill card to Makoto, and he's using Valkyrie for his sub-Persona, Broadshot gives him a line attack if he needs it. His Magic is much better but I'd still rather have him use physicals if he can afford it.

Koromaru is fairly evenly spread, and he's got a physical sub-Persona; Fusion Blast lets him hit Fire weaknesses, Twin Slash for crit fishing, and Skull Cracker can inflict Magic Bind. He's actually a smidge slower than Makoto, since his Agility gains are a bit more backloaded.

Shinjiro is still using Mokoi. Most of his turns will be spent either using Pain-Eater, defending, or using a physical attack. Rakunda or Disarm would be nice to throw out but his SP is fairly low so we might not have that luxury.

Not much to say with Yukari, she's got some elemental variety and that's it. Disarm and Panic Circle are there but her Luck is pretty horrid.

Mitsuru's got a multi-target spell. In hindsight I should really have swapped her and Yukari's sub-Personas, Mitsuru's Luck is much better. They've both got Plum Potpourris on for extra SP (I bought another one from the shop).

If you're going inside, please make sure you've prepared yourself first!

Alright, let's go.

The boss has shown up, huh?

Danger...! I sense danger! Oh no you don't...! I won't let you have this!

It speaks...?

You're going to stay here forever! I won't let you out of this world!

Incorrect. We will leave it.

Ha... Haha... Hmhm.... Hmhmhm.... Ahahahahaha, heeheeahahahaha!

Ahhh, how hilarious, how very interesting...! You're going to let us out, is it? How very kind of you!

From the way it talks, it seems that Shadow is keeping us in this world...

It said, "I won't let you have this." Does it mean that thing behind it?

Who knows? It doesn't seem like we can reason with it.

Maximum output! Here goes!

I won't let you have it!

Alright, pre-boss warm up. We've got some chumps to start off with.

The different suits have differing abilities, but they're all weak to Fire/Ice/Elec/Wind. Two shots will take each down fairly easily; the Magaru we had on Alp is very handy here.

Each time we defeat a wave though, more show up to take their place...

I believe we will exhaust our stamina before we can reach the "Queen" within.

They're not giving us any breathing room...!

But you're tired too, Zen-san...!

If only we could rest even a little... Unfortunately, they're making that impossible...

Wh-what the!?

...You absolute goobers.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I had a number of references for this previously, but the characters are all doing poses from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Chie, for example, is doing Jotaro's from Heritage for the Future.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Man Kanji is HUGE in this game, no wonder he's always slouching forward in dialogues, he probably wouldn't fit in the screen otherwise.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Petiso posted:

Man Kanji is HUGE in this game, no wonder he's always slouching forward in dialogues, he probably wouldn't fit in the screen otherwise.

He's much taller than the girls (he's got an entire foot over Naoto), but they definitely did exaggerate him a bit in this game. He should be only about 2-3 inches taller than Yosuke/Yu (who are about the average height for Japanese men).

He's not in this game but Kanji would only have about an inch or so over Dojima

Shinjiro and Akihiko are basically the same height as Yu, but Shinji tends to slouch (but carries tall).

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

...Whose idea was the JoJo poses?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alright, I had some free time, so here you go: Margaret, Teddie, Chie, Yu, Yosuke, Yukiko, Naoto, Kanji

Margaret's "pose" is not really all that bombastic, so she could just be standing there normally. But I thought I'd link it anyway. :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So it's been a bit since the last update.

To be honest, I've definitely lost a bit of steam. I've the next chunk of content at least played and recorded, but the truth is that I'd severely underestimated the amount of dialogue in this game. Once the P4 gang joins officially (spoilers?) there's a lot more.

So while I'm not gonna say it's officially quits, it might be a... hiatus, at least. Though it doesn't help that I'm considering LPing another game that's also dialogue heavy...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

No worries. The characters in this game and the sequel love to blabber, so I can't blame you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

So it's been a bit since the last update.

To be honest, I've definitely lost a bit of steam. I've the next chunk of content at least played and recorded, but the truth is that I'd severely underestimated the amount of dialogue in this game. Once the P4 gang joins officially (spoilers?) there's a lot more.

So while I'm not gonna say it's officially quits, it might be a... hiatus, at least. Though it doesn't help that I'm considering LPing another game that's also dialogue heavy...

Are you using a text dump? If not I think I can send one over to you if you'd like.