Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

back in the late 90s / early 2000s in ireland we used to all watch wwf on sky, it was really good

but not many of us watched WCW, i definitely didnt

so when my parents got my brother a toy of Goldberg, we had no idea who he was. we used to throw him out the window onto my roof lol.
he suffered a lot of wear and tear and eventually we put a bandage on his head

then one day we decided to tape him to a wheelchair we got from a wwe hardcore set.

thus, the masked capper was born

you wouldnt' get away with it now in saner times but we used to roll that fucker out the window and onto the roof and my dad would have to get the ladder to get him out of the gutter.

good times.

post about your wrestling toys!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
I wasn't a kid but the maximum sweat WWF line in the late 90s was peak nutjob poo poo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

looks liek bryan cage now in aew lol

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

thus, the masked capper was born

you wouldnt' get away with it now in saner times but we used to roll that fucker out the window and onto the roof and my dad would have to get the ladder to get him out of the gutter.

good times.

post about your wrestling toys!!!

gave him the ol' mac and me

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

we grew up a little poor so i always got knockoff wrestling figures so i would just fig fed with them and an old toy wcw ring with plastic ropes a classmate gave me

the wrestlers looked like this

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Didn't have any

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

I had the typhoon one.

I've never seen a single match with him in it.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I was the right age to collect wrestling figures during the height of my fandom during the Monday Night Wars. Collecting WCW figures was really frustrating because they wouldn't settle on a toy company, nor would the companies settle on a size or scale. So we had a mess of poo poo like:

Which were giant 8-inch immobile hunks of rubber. Hope you want to make him drop an elbow (or do a neckbreaker if you're feeling saucy).

You would press the tumorous red button in their side to make them vibrate. That's right, vibrating wrestlers.

These ones were pretty blocky. The "power punch" button was just a ridge on his back you could use to twist his torso around, iirc.

These were just mini-versions of the series above, maybe four inches or so. I liked these, but they ran maybe 10-12 guys and moved on. What the hell do you do with that? I had them find the giant vibrating guys.

Another one where the pose is so limited. Then again, I guess all you want to do with DDP is give other toys the Diamond Cutter. Getting the vest on and off was a pain in the rear end. I still liked this one because DDP was my favorite and I had the t-shirt he's wearing.

This is from the same series as DDP. I just liked the attention to detail with the perfectly styled strand of hair hanging down.

These ones each came with one corner of a ring. I can't remember how well it worked. I think I had at least four of these, but it looks like one guy couldn't even comfortably lay down in a full ring.

These things never ran for more than a series or two, so if you wanted to build a roster in a uniform size, forget it. And this is just stuff I had. Forget about the bizarre crap they shoveled out like wrestlers with magnet sin their hands, wrestlers on motorcycle, bendable Gumby-style wrestlers, "gross out" wrestlers that spit waters, wrestlers as spinning tops, you name it. (This wrestling figure museum site is kind of a goldmine, actually.)

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Fun fact: Those probably all had SKUs saying "Hulk Hogan" so he could steal merch cuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

TheSwizzler posted:

Fun fact: Those probably all had SKUs saying "Hulk Hogan" so he could steal merch cuts

As I was browsing the different toy lines, I also noticed that the Hulkster is often noticeably bigger and buffer than everyone else. I'll have to go back and grab examples, a few of them were pretty ridiculous.