Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Problem description: On my Acer Spin 5 laptop, there suddenly appeared a problem where keystrokes are intermittently either dropped (no letter appears on the screen despite key being pressed) or doubled (two of the same letter appear from a single stroke). I think it's not a hardware issue, as I didn't spill anything onto the keyboard when it started or anything like that.

Attempted fixes:
  • Upgraded from Windows 10 to the latest Windows 11
  • Removed and re-installed keyboard driver

Recent changes: Nothing I can think of; I was literally just using my laptop, and it was working fine, until it wasn't.

Operating system: Windows 11 Home 22H2 64 bit.

System specs: Acer Spin 5 SP513-52N. 8 GB RAM. The keyboard has been changed once, and the new keyboard was working fine until this issue appeared.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. I found threads with the same issue in Windows, but they were unresolved.

If anyone can help I'll be so grateful. This is driving me nuts, as my Words Per Minute has essentially collapsed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd try connecting another keyboard to the laptop via USB and seeing if the same behavior occurs.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Zogo posted:

I'd try connecting another keyboard to the laptop via USB and seeing if the same behavior occurs.

Thanks for the reply. I tried with a USB keyboard, but it didn't work at all, despite showing up as "HID Keyboard Device" in Device Manager. This could well be the keyboard's fault; it's just been lying in storage for years.

I will try with a known-good keyboard once I get my move from underway - it is currently packed up already.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
JUST IN CASE run Disk Cleanup, do a virus scan/malware scan with adwcleaner and malwarebytes, uninstall unwanted apps, and apply any pending windows updates. A good time for "cleaning house" so to speak to help eliminate potential problems.

Try booting in safe mode (Hold left Shift key while clicking "restart") and see if its still dropping/adding stuff.

Also, check your task manager for runaway apps.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

So, after finally getting to try with an external keyboard: yes, it works just fine with another keyboard.

Could it be worthwhile to clean the integrated keyboard? I notice some keys are missing strokes more often than others, so maybe there is something physical there, after all. If so, what's the recommended cleaning method?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Not usually, and if you do it could ruin it more. Keyboards, especially thin ones, work off of tiny graphite "wires" kinda painted onto plastic.

Introducing a liquid can just wash the "graphite paint" away and you'll have even less keys.

Keyboard replacements are pretty cheap compared to a lot of machines, I'd peg it at around 150 maybe. Cheaper where you live hopefully. They are very simple devices with very annoying construction methods meaning at least 30 mins labor maybe more for some techs.

Keyboard parts are all over ebay.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Before getting the physical keyboard replaced, I'd like to know for sure that I am replacing the right part. I booted to safe mode as well as into Linux from a USB drive, and the problem was present in both, but is the actual keyboard module the only place where this can occur? What about the motherboard? Is there some part in between these?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
There is the cable that connects the two

That's it. 🙁

Keyboard has cable on it, clean/reinsert cable. If no worky then new kb.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I actually meant more like a software/firmware component that could cause this even with the new kb... But, the BIOS is already the latest version, so I guess there's nothing to be done except replace the keyboard. I'll report back on how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

I actually meant more like a software/firmware component that could cause this even with the new kb... But, the BIOS is already the latest version, so I guess there's nothing to be done except replace the keyboard. I'll report back on how that goes.

Sure I get it! Here's a breakdown:

The flat flex cable goes into the ZIF connector, gold coated pins contact the graphite wires from the flex cable to help keep the contact clean, a lever presses the cable even further against the pins. The traces from the connector go directly to a device (a chip) on the motherboard called a KBC/SUPER IO that is a blank slate when no power is applied to it. It forgets everything (by design), when it doesn't have 3 volts on one of it's pins. Remove all power from it so it forgets everything. When you give power back to the motherboard, the board writes data FROM the BIOS back to the KBC/SUPER IO. The KBC is cleanly programmed by the BIOS and can now take control from the keyboard, and thus take it's place as a KeyBoard Controller (KBC), rightfully deigned.

My usual steps are: replicate with USB keyboard, unplug laptop keyboard try with USB again, ensure the cable is snug and CLEAN, replug laptop keyboard a few times, clean with alcohol reinsert more, make sure the BIOS is updated, all power is removed (bios battery too), and the chip itself is free of damage.

You've done all the important bits except look at the cable. It's the ONE WEAK POINT here and has yet to be explored. The physical KB should be your next move.

Owner/Lead Tech of Sagebrush Repair in Pinole, CA.