Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Little Murders

Elliott Gould as Alfred

Marcia Rodd as Patsy

Directed by Alan Alarkin, best known for his acting career, the film is about Alfred, a man who feels nothing emotionally or physically and he takes photos of poop. One day Patsy, meets Alfred, falls for him, and is determined to "fix" him. Patsy takes Alfred home to meet her dysfunctional family, they get married, and everything's normal, like the totally normal events of a brawl at their wedding, random people being shot, electricity blackouts, garbage strikes, etc.

If you haven't guessed this is a black comedy.

It was written by Jules Feiffer, originally as a play and later adapted to the screen because Elliott Gould really wanted to make it one. It came out to mixed reception, but one of the reviews I really like for the film is by Siskel, "a mean little comedy that made me laugh and then think, 'God, how could I laugh at that.'" Which sums it up really well. It's got a great cast, including Donald Sutherland in a bit part as the reverend who oversees Alfred and Patsy's wedding. Alan Arkin also has a role in the film as a detective investigating the random shootings that keep happening.

It's free on youtube, so hell yeah. Go watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piiUJV-dFEo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
liked this a lot, even in the third act when everything really goes off the rails. it's a movie that's made by its performances, which are all bonkers good. the ending's also fantastic.

i was laughing really hard in the first half and then suddenly all my laughter dried up and i couldn't look away.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Wow, thanks for recommending this.

This is definitely one of those films unto itself which defy easy categorisation (a good thing to me). I wasn't sure what to expect and sure got a lot of that. It's kinda like an American Pinter play except twisted to absurdist satirical extremes, so got a nice feeling of validation when the credits stated it was based on a stage play. (Sorry, MZ, I'd completely forgotten your overview blurb.)

There's an overwhelming amount of stuff to unpack in here. Far too much for my simple head to make coherent; that could be the point. Familial and societal expectations and roles, rebellion in various means, the spiels of and against modern law, justice, religion, consumerist art, and the inter-generational divide. I'm somewhat sure there's allegories about the JFK assassination amongst the madness.

Overall I think I liked it. Doubly so if I indulge the thought that this was all real and just what Elliot Gould's daily life is like.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 12, 2023

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Watched this with some friends last night and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that enjoyed it. That said, I loved it.

It's so manic for the first two thirds it's almost exhausting, gets serious, then builds its way back up to fantastic final line/freeze frame. Marcia Rodd was especially great in this.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Oh I watched this like a week ago. Gruelling, but in a way where I couldn't look away. Oh, God, I can't remember the last time I hated a character like I hated his parents, just the total refusal to engage on anything other than a clinical level. Alfred is a man totally at peace with the world, but being at peace with the sort of world he lives in is profoundly horrifying. And it makes you long for someone who'll push back against it, but Patsy is that person and it doesn't seem to bring her any satisfaction either.

Might make a decent double-feature with The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Everything in the church ruled.