Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
ubnt has so many dead product and product lines it's wild and even more so is their updating platforms

like their $1600 per side* big boy licensed 11ghz radio has the most recent firmware release being march 2020 while you still get updates of the platform of the 2011 nanobridge M in tyool 2023

*you're in at least 1000+ per side for dish, filters, & license

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

post hole digger posted:

they still make and sell all of that stuff: https://store.ui.com/us/en?category=all-wired

they haven’t updated the products in y e a r s like theres no big 10gbit edge switch or anything

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also their big edgeswitches have been sold out for most of the past like four years

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ll edge you :argh:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

DJ Commie posted:

ubnt has so many dead product and product lines

I love my pico nanos rip

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it’s frustrating to me that a ton of their crap is poe yet my udm does not supply poe

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

idk if its still the case but for a while they didnt even use the same poe standard across products so you need to buy their stupid poe injector to power one of their APs from one of their poe switches.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
my favourite is the APs that require a physical reset to readopt, you know, using the little reset button on the underside of the unit. which is mounted on the ceiling.

they make a dozen different models of PoE injectors, and two of them have remote reset buttons on them, and neither of them are for the "pro" seires of APs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

it’s frustrating to me that a ton of their crap is poe yet my udm does not supply poe

the udm special edition which came out immediately after i got my udm pro does. not that its a huge deal cause poe injectors are like $10

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

doesn't all their poo poo use fake/dumb poe?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

infernal machines posted:

my favourite is the APs that require a physical reset to readopt, you know, using the little reset button on the underside of the unit. which is mounted on the ceiling.

they make a dozen different models of PoE injectors, and two of them have remote reset buttons on them, and neither of them are for the "pro" seires of APs

remote reset can't generally be done on the ubnt devices with optional 802.3af/at power capabilities as the method interferes with the af standard

physical security is the reason for the reset button location, unifi devices default for a DNS lookup for provisioning of "unifi" and a reset unit would just reconfigure if it connected to a server previously used with it

the best part is when the 24V ubnt devices have a cable issue and remote reset themselves, and then spend 5 minutes in a ftp recovery boot loop before entering the default configuration

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

infernal machines posted:

at least readoption isnt something you need to do basically every time you open the unifi console :shepface:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

nudgenudgetilt posted:

no, their newer stuff is standard but these is still enough of the old poo poo for sale to make buying a poe adapter a minefield

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ugh

when our unifi AP works it works super well but I really despise the process of discovering the cloud key thing and then seeing if it can find the AP and then working out if the AP is doing what it’s meant to be doing, or like last time it just couldn’t find the AP

my asus wifi router is probably much worse in a bunch of ways but I do enjoy its web interface and that that is all you need

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I found the cloud key the worst of the self hosted options especially with what sounds like l2 discovery you might be having issues with

nudgenudgetilt posted:

it was from the old fast ethernet days when you didn't use the blue and brown pair for anything anyway, so why not make it dc lines

also back then the price point and power profiles precluded using the original poe af standard

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 17, 2023

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

fart you need to get your thread back on topic here i'm pretty sure these people aren't talking about the linksys wrt54g

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
warthog

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

gently caress yes

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

echinopsis posted:

mate,

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

TerminalRaptor posted:

Yep, and I tried janitoring that thing far longer than I should have. I replaced that thing with a Buffalo router and then wondered why I waited so long.

i used to have a buffalo whr-g54s, first with dd-wrt and then with tomato.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

txt me :wink:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

well-read undead posted:

fart you need to get your thread back on topic here i'm pretty sure these people aren't talking about the linksys wrt54g

theyre out of control and must be bought to heel

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
ran some wrt54gls at my sister and parents houses for a while. back before cloud connect for screen share was the default option, I’d SSH in, port forward with the session, and just VNC to their computers to help.

not gonna go with ubiquiti for the next APs tho, had two UAP-AC-PROs start to die and cause all sorts of hosed up wifi issues.

otherwise, needs suiting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
my business partner wired had me wire his house. he's got one of those on every floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s what she said