Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Are there any mail in labs that give dngs or whatever kind of raw/editable files. I really really hate dealing with scanning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Most do around here but they charge you a lot for it

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Dunwoody photo does tiffs for +$2. I just sent an order in for the first time so I can't attest to their quality yet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Finally finished a cheap roll in my Pentax, now to run one through the Minolta and find out if I got light leaks or some other bullshit.

Shame you guys missed out on me trying to wind the film back in before I went online and found out there's a rewind lock button on the bottom.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
50D is hardly a new thing but my currently preferred retailer finally started carrying it - my photos from the end of the last page were shot with free promo rolls from Atlanta Film Company. They're running mine and other people's photos on their IG page over the next week. Kinda cool to see my one of my photos posted by someone else even if it's just promotional.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6Ega9xO24i/

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Very cool. I have some 250d on the way from them and I'm having some other stuff developed at the lab they use. Glad to see a nice endorsement. I feel like the vision 3 stocks are slept on a bit because I normally only hear about the non cine stuff, but these pics look great.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

a dingus posted:

Very cool. I have some 250d on the way from them and I'm having some other stuff developed at the lab they use. Glad to see a nice endorsement. I feel like the vision 3 stocks are slept on a bit because I normally only hear about the non cine stuff, but these pics look great.

I think you'll be happy, 250D is a pretty good look IMO. It seems to have great range for playing around in NLP/Lightroom.

I am starting to feel like my quality bottleneck is definitely my scanner after seeing how crispy a professional scan can get. I'm also probably going to be relegating my leica to home developed B&W walkabouts around town and with friends where I'm not as concerned about super high resolution scans, since the olympus glass I have beats the absolute pants off any of my vintage rangefinder glass.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

a dingus posted:

I feel like the vision 3 stocks are slept on a bit because I normally only hear about the non cine stuff, but these pics look great.

This is wild to me. I feel like it's the exact opposite and I almost exclusively hear about the vision stocks (and the god awful halation)

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

big black turnout posted:

This is wild to me. I feel like it's the exact opposite and I almost exclusively hear about the vision stocks (and the god awful halation)

The key is to shoot on Vision stock with the remjet intact then developing in ECN-2.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Yeah it's not so bad in ECN-2 but it was so overhyped for a while that I still have a bit of a kneejerk negative reaction to it.

Actually, that reminds me, I saw someone talking about processing Ektar in ECN-2 and I was curious what difference that makes. I thought it was a pretty similar process to C41 just with some steps specific to the remjet

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
ECN-2 stocks are finely tuned to color temperature and ambient light. For best results you'll have to adjust in scanning.

Unadjusted 250D scan; full sun against rear a tree line. Pretty green.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

That funny. Maybe I don't pay attention to anywhere other than here or some small subreddit where it's mostly about porta or b/w stock. Either way whatever it was I'm glad I decided to try it out.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Halation is for suckers. Go check out an ECN2 processor's insta or website - AFC, Midwest Film Lab, or Silbersalz35.

The only thing I feel like I'm missing is not being able to shoot anamorphic. That would really nail "the look," imo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dumb question time but the internet is just AI articles: when people talk about for example shooting a 400 film at 800, it is literally just setting the camera to 800 and shooting as if that were the speed of the film, right? So it's basically just like using a stop of exposure compensation on digital? I know pushing ISO is about developing.

I also got some expired film from a relative, I assume I'm going to want to overexpose that a bit. It wasn't stored in a freezer or anything so it's definitely degraded some.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 27, 2024

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Grand Fromage posted:

Dumb question time but the internet is just AI articles: when people talk about for example shooting a 400 film at 800, it is literally just setting the camera to 800 and shooting as if that were the speed of the film, right? So it's basically just like using a stop of exposure compensation on digital? I know pushing ISO is about developing.

Yeah this is the way to get proper exposure before you get to the development step when pushing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Expired film should go the opposite way however, shoot the 400 at 200 iso depending on how old it is

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Typically the advice is 1 stop per decade of expiration

Re: pushing: you shoot the film as if it's 400 iso and it's important that you or your lab know that it was pushed because development also needs to be adjusted

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Re: pushing: you shoot the film as if it's 400 iso and it's important that you or your lab know that it was pushed because development also needs to be adjusted

Okay, now I'm confused about a different thing. I thought pushing just meant leaving it in the developer longer, you could do that to any film regardless of how you shot it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Okay, now I'm confused about a different thing. I thought pushing just meant leaving it in the developer longer, you could do that to any film regardless of how you shot it.

Pushing and pulling is the combination of shooting your film at a higher/lower ISO then compensating in development by lengthening/shortening the time in the developer.

Rating your film at a higher ISO then not developing for longer is underexposing your film. Shooting your film at box then extending development is just over development.

All they were saying is that the lab needs to know how many stops they need to push or pull the development based on how many stops you've under or over exposed your film.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Did some printing today off 6x9 to 12x16

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
That's a terrible clock you have failed the Alzheimer's test

great prints :)

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Thanks, I'm teaching a friend how to print tomorrow so that's going to be good fun

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
amazing prints as always!!!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

cerious posted:

... I wouldn't do a GF670 ... [film flatness] ...

Do you know if this also applies to the GF670W (non-folder, 55 mm lens) or the Voigtlander-branded version of the same camera?

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

theHUNGERian posted:

Do you know if this also applies to the GF670W (non-folder, 55 mm lens) or the Voigtlander-branded version of the same camera?

The flatness issues I was seeing where always from the center and radiating outwards, which lines up with the bellows sucking up the film off the film plane from the center out (since the most volume is from the center of the lens). So I would assume it doesn't apply to a non-folder.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Megabound posted:

Did some printing today off 6x9 to 12x16

I'd like to know more about whatever you used to do this!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'd like to know more about whatever you used to do this!

A Kodak projection print scale. I like it for my big prints.

I hung my prints from this weekend and need to do more framing and hanging this week.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
i like your living room and the creature in it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm trying to figure out if I have a light leak or if something else is going on.

There's a washed out area on one or both edges of the photo, but only sometimes?

You can see how it comes and goes:

Film is super fun!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Admiral Bosch posted:

i like your living room and the creature in it

Thanks, that's Aggie, you can find a lot of her in the YOSPOS cats thread

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Slavvy posted:

I'm trying to figure out if I have a light leak or if something else is going on.

There's a washed out area on one or both edges of the photo, but only sometimes?

You can see how it comes and goes:

Film is super fun!

I can sorta see it in that first pic, not so much the others.

Light leaks can vary in how they manifest depending on the location of the leak, conditions, and how long the film sat between shots. For example, you might have left your camera on frame 15 for a couple days, during which you walked around with it around your neck a bunch. One afternoon you take a shot, advance it, then quickly take another (let's say trying a different composition of the same subject) and advance again. If the leak is where the film sits in the chamber, frame 15 will be obliterated from several days exposure, whereas it may not manifest at all in frame 16 because it was only in the film chamber for a second or two.

Something you can try next time to try and troubleshoot is to let the film sit in the chamber for a while in bright afternoon light, and do a long exposure with the lens cap on. Scan that frame and load it into PS or your image editing program of choice, and play around the with the levels/curves until you can see a light leak. Remember that everything will be upside down/mirror image.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
After having a chat with a friend I have come across a macro project I'd like to start. The cheapest way for me to do any macro would be to use my 50mm f1.4 olympus lens with the extension tubes that Olympus manufactured. Obtaining these isn't going to be difficult, but I have a question.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2044855181...emis&media=COPY

This listing shows the three standard extension tube, plus a fourth one labeled "auto 7". Can someone enlighten me as to what "auto" means in this context and what makes it different than the one just labeled "7"?

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
If I understand it right with the auto tubes the aperture works like normal on an Olympus slr where it stays wide open and only stops down when you take the photo. With the non-auto tube it stops down immediately when you change the aperture, kinda like if you were to use it with an adapter on a digital camera. It's the same auto as in the zuiko auto-s whatever your lens is called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Havana Affair posted:

If I understand it right with the auto tubes the aperture works like normal on an Olympus slr where it stays wide open and only stops down when you take the photo. With the non-auto tube it stops down immediately when you change the aperture, kinda like if you were to use it with an adapter on a digital camera. It's the same auto as in the zuiko auto-s whatever your lens is called.

ahhhh, of course. a little more googling would have likely got me there, but thank you. i will now be searching ebay with the word 'auto'.