Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winty
Sep 22, 2007

After a visit to my parents' old house, I've come into possession of a bunch of ZIP disks containing data that was important to me 25 years ago. I thought this would be a fun project to recover the data off of them, but I've tried twice to read them with ZIP drives bought off eBay, and both drives seemed to be DOA or just wouldn't cooperate with my modern Linux system whatsoever. At this point I really don't care to do any more work on it and I'm willing to pay to just send my disks off and get a bunch of disk image files. Are you aware of any data recovery service that can take care of this for me for a reasonable price, or maybe even a goon with a suitable setup that I could reimburse for this? Thanks, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It is highly unlikely you will find such a service due to the media in question, unfortunately. There are places that do do data recovery from old tapes, disks, CDs, etc. The problem with Zip disks in particular is the infamous "click of death" - disks can develop errors that make them unreadable in any drive. This is of course a standard problem with media aging and dying, but with Zip disks in particular the "click of death" problem can ruin the drive itself, and from then on any disk put in the Zip drive will itself have the click of death which it will then spread to other drives. It's weirdly contagious.

Because of this, and because Zip drives themselves are no longer in production, taking random Zip disks from the public to read is basically playing Russian roulette with hardware. I'm sorry.

e: there are places that say they do it, though: http://www.datarecoverymasters.com/pc-dos-windows-zip-disks/ (i have no idea if this place is any good)

Arivia fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 10, 2023