Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Lunacid is a new FPS RPG in the style of From Soft's classic King's Field games, meaning it's a sort of FPS rogue like, or a cross between an RPG and a survival horror game. The graphics pay homage to ps1 aesthetics, and the game seems to faithfully capture the spirit of the original.

The game is currently at an undiscounted price of $13.99 on Steam, and after playing two hours I'd heartily recommend it. It's charming, and after having a less than thrilling time with Starfield I can't express how refreshing it is to fire up a genuinely new and novel FPS RPG by comparison.

A few points that come to mind after playing a little:

Like the later dark souls games, you can both choose a starting class and develop your character towards melee, ranged, or magical combat.

This game is apparently more like a ten hour single player experience, not fifty or a hundred hours - I'd consider that a positive because if you want to spend hundreds of hours playing a fantastic RPG, well, Baldur's Gate 3 is right there.

Make sure to save, you have to save manually and it's part of the intended design to lose your progress if you die.

The game doesn't seem to have a pause, but if you alt tab the game stops, I tested this by alt tabbing mid jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Reserving the second post in case this thread accumulates some useful information new readers may want.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Rad, I bought this back during Early Access after an Iron Pineapple video, but wanted to wait for the full release before digging into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYV1X0qJuMk&t=1301s

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Rad, I bought this back during Early Access after an Iron Pineapple video, but wanted to wait for the full release before digging into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYV1X0qJuMk&t=1301s

Yeah, I don't know how long the game is, but apparently it's fully out now, so no need to hold back from fear of early access.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Played about 7 hours or so and I've really enjoyed myself. The game feels more intimidating than it actually is, the only time I've died is because I walked into my own flare spell, but it can still feel tense as the game can only be saved at crystals, there are no autosaves.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tombot posted:

Played about 7 hours or so and I've really enjoyed myself. The game feels more intimidating than it actually is, the only time I've died is because I walked into my own flare spell, but it can still feel tense as the game can only be saved at crystals, there are no autosaves.

Yup, I haven't actually died yet, and I'm seeing a few other design elements (which I won't call out in so new a game) that make the game a bit easier than it initially seems, but you're absolutely right that it feels dangerous because of the very real possibility of lost progress. It's evokes the feeling I get from a dark souls game when it's new, that feeling of "gosh, where is the next bonfire, I've been wandering this new area for so long".

KNR
May 3, 2009
About 2/3 through this game the shine really wore off for me. The combat being completely broken an hour in is mostly fine, KF had terrible combat, though it does limit how rewarding finding any upgrades can be when everything's already trivial.

The interface somehow manages to be worse than KF. With no armor equivalent every interesting effect gets compressed into a weapon or spell so you have to switch those constantly, with a menu that's authentically clunky except the game doesn't pause.

But it's the level design that really underperforms. The world is a shadow tower style series of disparate environments that doesn't feel connected at all. And past a small handful of mostly early game areas, everything is extremely samey mazes and giant empty boxes. King's Field 2 managed more personality in its levels with about 5 textures for the entire game, this reminds me more of the bland mazes of the "open world" KF 3, except without the decency of an automap.

And basically every secret in the game is either just a nondescript secret wall (one of the weaker aspects of the old KFs, but even then KF 2 often placed them more conspicuously and had both an item making them transparent and most (all?) secret rooms appearing on at least one of the maps), or arbitrary nonsense with basically no actual ingame hint that almost everyone who finds it will have just looked up online. For example, in the castle there's a secret sublevel, for which the only hint is clock tower. The actual answer is to go outside the castle and shoot a dark element attack at a round window in a part of the castle that's neither a tower nor features a clock. The element I think you just have to guess because other elements give a "no effect".

Even for an obtuse secrets game like La-Mulana, reading a spoiler should make you go 'gently caress, I should have figured that out" or at least "that is just way too clever for its own good". Instead, in this game they just make me shrug.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

KNR posted:

About 2/3 through this game the shine really wore off for me. The combat being completely broken an hour in is mostly fine, KF had terrible combat, though it does limit how rewarding finding any upgrades can be when everything's already trivial.

The interface somehow manages to be worse than KF. With no armor equivalent every interesting effect gets compressed into a weapon or spell so you have to switch those constantly, with a menu that's authentically clunky except the game doesn't pause.

But it's the level design that really underperforms. The world is a shadow tower style series of disparate environments that doesn't feel connected at all. And past a small handful of mostly early game areas, everything is extremely samey mazes and giant empty boxes. King's Field 2 managed more personality in its levels with about 5 textures for the entire game, this reminds me more of the bland mazes of the "open world" KF 3, except without the decency of an automap.

And basically every secret in the game is either just a nondescript secret wall (one of the weaker aspects of the old KFs, but even then KF 2 often placed them more conspicuously and had both an item making them transparent and most (all?) secret rooms appearing on at least one of the maps), or arbitrary nonsense with basically no actual ingame hint that almost everyone who finds it will have just looked up online. For example, in the castle there's a secret sublevel, for which the only hint is clock tower. The actual answer is to go outside the castle and shoot a dark element attack at a round window in a part of the castle that's neither a tower nor features a clock. The element I think you just have to guess because other elements give a "no effect".

Even for an obtuse secrets game like La-Mulana, reading a spoiler should make you go 'gently caress, I should have figured that out" or at least "that is just way too clever for its own good". Instead, in this game they just make me shrug.

Yeah, I don't know how many people actually made the game but it's possible it makes a better first impression than it a sustained experience. Personally Steam says I've played 3.7 hours and I've hit level 25, which apparently has 50% achievement rate, which surprised me.

I wish the actual KF games were on steam, I played the original when it was new, and I've seen Remap Radio stream one of them, but I'd like to revisit them myself.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I'm a few hours in and really enjoying the atmosphere and visuals. Really great music too.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Apparently the streaming group, Remap Radio, that originally turned me onto Lunacid are still playing it, so I'll need to tune back in and see if they got farther than I did, because I reached a point where I genuinely don't know where else I could explore.

God help me, I think I want to re roll as a mage??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I got the The Sanguine Sea, which is good tier spoopy