Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Problem:
Mouse keeps intermittently freezing, and must be unplugged/rugged back in to come to life.
The mouse works perfect on donor systems so it's definitely something with my system. It typically freezes immediately loading onto the desktop, and then just keeps freezing over and over again in games like Darktide. On desktop I'd say it freezes on average every 20 minutes. In game (ex: Darktide) it happens every 5 to 10 minutes on average.

Recent Changes:
Nothing previously changed in my system when this started occurring.

System Specs:
  • OS Build: 22H2 19045.3636
  • Mouse: Steel Series 600 (wired)
  • Mobo: Gigabyte H370 Aorus
  • CPU: Intel i5-8400 2.8ghz 6 core
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32gb
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb
  • PSU: EVGA supernova 850w
  • HDD: Samsung SSD 860 Evo 500gb (where OS is installed), 3x extra storage drives (SSD 840 Evo 250gb, WD Red 4tb, WD Red 3tb)
  • Monitors: 3x monitor setup
  • Dell u2410
  • Dell P2217H
  • Dell P2217H
I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Attempted Fixes:
  • Updated my mouse drivers (windows refuses to find a driver newer than 2006, I spent an hour and a half with Microsofts inept support just trying to get a default hid mouse driver past that year and they had nothing)
  • Uninstalled/reinstalled HID mouse drivers
  • Uninstalled/reinstalled root hub, USB hub, host controller
  • Unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in USB power management settings in device manager for every USB listing
  • Made sure enhance pointer precision was off in mouse settings
  • Updated graphics drivers
  • Updated BIOS
  • Updated chipset drivers
  • Used several different USB ports (both 2.0 &, 3.0, front and back of PC), freezing happens on all ports and USB hubs I have.
  • Performed SFC & DISM scans (scan health and recovery for the hell of it), via CMD, no issues
  • Limited polling rate from 1000 to 500
  • Made sure monitor refresh rate matches between all monitors
  • Scanned for malware via windows defender, results clean
  • Verified via core temp that I'm not hitting any high temps and no peaking is occurring (under load in game I never go past 46°C. In fact I'm seeing freezing on 37°C at times
  • Power options: disabled selective USB suspension
  • Installed SteelSeries application for drivers/better control; no change
  • Checked for Realtek audio console (fmapp.exe) in task manager, not applicable to my system as it's not running in processes in task manager
  • Disabled hardware acceleration in chrome (as I often have tabs concurrently open on another screen), no change
  • Event viewer shows nothing USB related, or any errors, warnings, or critical events in general in both the system or application logs during the timestamps the freezing occurs. USBDeview shows the actions of me unplugging/plugging the mouse back in but doesn't give any error data.
  • The freezing occurs with donor mice as well.

I'm going mad. What else can I check?
Note: I haven't touched the registry as of yet. Not sure where to probe there tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The simplest thing would be to try one of those USB to PS/2 adapters but you may not have one of those.
e.g. https://www.cablestogo.com/audio-video/adapters-and-couplers/usb-to-ps-2-adapter/p/cg-35700

I suppose it could be some strange conflict with another peripheral on the computer. You could disconnect any other devices temporarily.

You could also check if this same issue happens in safe mode (or on a Linux USB install or something). That'd determine if it was an OS or hardware issue.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Questions:
1. Do the RGB lights stay on?
2. Do they flicker AT ALL, even when it's working fine? No chance of loose or spotty cable right?
3. When you use a different mouse, does the disconnect happen, on average, the same timeframe as with the steelseries? <==THIS IS IMPORTANT.
4. Do you have any usb poo poo plugged into ports on your monitor?

Regardless, here's what I would do:

Keep device manager open. Expand all the plusses and turn on "Show hidden devices". Take screenshots of what's there. Keep the screenshots open so you can see them. Using the steel series mouse, wait for it to happen again. Next time it happens, alt tab to the screenshots and compare device manager listings one by one, see what's missing, if anything. If there's something missing, do Alt-A in Device Manager (opens the action menu) and select Scan for Hardware Changes. Try your mouse.

If it doesn't work, try another mouse immediately without unplugging the steelseries. Try a different color USB port. Try Scan for Hardware Changes with the other mouse. Unplug literally everything except the power and plug in the monitor, keyboard, and mouse again. Try a USB to USB-C adapter.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 14, 2023

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

down1nit posted:

Questions:
2. Do they flicker AT ALL, even when it's working fine? No chance of loose or spotty cable right?
3. When you use a different mouse, does the disconnect happen, on average, the same timeframe as with the steelseries? <==THIS IS IMPORTANT.
4. Do you have any usb poo poo plugged into ports on your monitor?

Regardless, here's what I would do:

Keep device manager open. Expand all the plusses and turn on "Show hidden devices". Take screenshots of what's there. Keep the screenshots open so you can see them. Using the steel series mouse, wait for it to happen again. Next time it happens, alt tab to the screenshots and compare device manager listings one by one, see what's missing, if anything. If there's something missing, do Alt-A in Device Manager (opens the action menu) and select Scan for Hardware Changes. Try your mouse.

If it doesn't work, try another mouse immediately without unplugging the steelseries. Try a different color USB port. Try Scan for Hardware Changes with the other mouse. Unplug literally everything except the power and plug in the monitor, keyboard, and mouse again. Try a USB to USB-C adapter.

Questions:
Yup, no issues with lighting on any device

Never had any sorr of flickering, lights are a constant single color.

Yup, happens at the same rate no matter which donor mouse is attached

4. Do you have any usb poo poo plugged into ports on your monitor?[/b]
I do not

I've tried it witg two mice plugged in simultaneously, the pointer continues to freeze in place. I've resorted to plugging the mice into a 4 port USB 3.0 hub just to make bringing it back to life easier

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
OK well do those steps when you feel like troubleshooting. Please do let me know if you need hand holding, I have a tech support line.

Owner/Lead Tech of Sagebrush Repair in Pinole, CA.