Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Hey guys I looked for another thread and couldn’t find this topic. I know these might be more popular than in the past since covid taught so many people how to cut their own hair.

So my trimmer is dying and I want to replace it but am having a hard time finding a good product that meets my requirements. I want something battery powered, waterproof, and it should be able to switch modes so that it can cut my hair, beard, bodyhair all while I’m in the shower.

I can find devices that claim this but the cheap ones are sketchy as hell and the expensive ones are a lot of money to spend only to find it’s not up to the task of cutting off a full beard or long hair. This is the only place where I might get good advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I don't know how well cutting hair works in the shower, but a basic rear end Wahl clipper set will get you from long hair to short hair if your hair is dry. It's not water proof, but it is fool proof. I have this one, I use it to hack off my beard when it gets too long.

https://www.target.com/p/wahl-color-pro-plus-clipper-with-easy-color-coded-guide-combs-79752t/-/A-80133454#lnk=sametab

Don't get it wet, do buy their lifetime supply of oil (it's like 3 drops per use.) Wahl clipper oil or something you can google it.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Seriously a corded Wahl will probably outlive you. I've had the same one since 2007 or so and remembered to oil it maybe three or four times since then.

Since 2020-ish I've only used it on the dog since I've switched to safety razors due to being an old bald guy now.

But I figure 15 years * 25 times/year * 10 min/use it's got maybe 63-ish hours on it. That's probably less than a week of a barber using one in their shop.

Similarly for nose stuff don't bother with anything with a battery, get a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EBFJXS finger powered trimmer and be done with it.

For wet, I did try various USB-charged 5-6 head shaver things but they all crapped out after maybe 5-6 months.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Jonny Quest posted:

Seriously a corded Wahl will probably outlive you. I've had the same one since 2007 or so and remembered to oil it maybe three or four times since then.

Since 2020-ish I've only used it on the dog since I've switched to safety razors due to being an old bald guy now.

But I figure 15 years * 25 times/year * 10 min/use it's got maybe 63-ish hours on it. That's probably less than a week of a barber using one in their shop.

Similarly for nose stuff don't bother with anything with a battery, get a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EBFJXS finger powered trimmer and be done with it.

For wet, I did try various USB-charged 5-6 head shaver things but they all crapped out after maybe 5-6 months.

I have my dad's wahl clippers from the 80s before I was born, and they still work just fine.