Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003
I had a dual Xeon intel motherboard that was getting a little long in the tooth and since I have a 12600k lying around I have decided to see what I can do with the modern CPU in a micro ATX Asus board and see is it better (or even possible) to use some of the hardware I have or just swap everything out.

1. 16 bay hot swapable case with breakout cables that is currently setup with

2. An Intel® Integrated RAID Module RMS25PB080 that in order to get it working with 16 drives is attached to

3. An Intel® Storage Expander RES3FV288

4. A supercap unit for the intel RMS25PB080

5. Power supply (I have a 1k and a 750 watt)

5. I bought 4x18 TB enterprise drives

My first thought was I would like to run a mix of Raid 5/6 with the newer 18 TB drives and make some other arrays with the older 2-3TB drives I have lying around.

I think I am going to run into an issue with the intel raid card as if I remember correctly it is going to be a something that is hardware locked to an intel server motherboard and most likely won’t boot without the server board being something that runs a Xeon, and has all the correct hardware that the Raid card needs because of vendor locking.

Is there a chance I can use my older raid card with a software flash? Or should I look at raid card I can buy that would allow me to run some breakout cables to the backplane of my case and run 16 or more spinny drives that won’t care what motherboard it’s plugged into? If not are there any raid cards I should be looking at?

OR

Should I ditch Raid altogether because from what I understand modern raid cards no longer do patrol reads (my intel card did) and since bitrot is real and i do not want data corruption to creep in over time, switch to a more modern solution like a HBA card and ZFS?

I plan on running either a Xen as a hypervisor or possibly just straight Ubuntu server. If I go Xen I will def have an instance for plex and then possibly spin up/down other instances as needed for whatever else I may want to work on.

EDIT: I should mention that the data pools will be ZFS and and VMs will not be ZFS from what I understand that is not something you want to do..

MasterOSkillio fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU