Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Mexican cinnamon is milder and pretty versatile

I’d like to take this opportunity I’ve been given to kick off a new page of discussion to evangelize the urfa biber pepper my friend got for me in Turkey. It is smokey, a deep dark fruity flavor, and very spicy.

Lt. Cock fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

YeahTubaMike posted:

Cinnamon is the best spice because it's hella versatile, but it seems like not a whole lot of people know about how well it works with spaghetti sauce

We do though :smug::hf::smug:

I almost never make a curry without cinnamon, cloves and bay leaf. Even if it's like butter chicken or tikka masala.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Why don’t you cinnamon pimps go eat some Gold Star Chili.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
It's Ginger op

The root and the lady

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i put cinnamon in p much everything now especially meat

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

GolfHole posted:

i put cinnamon in p much everything now especially meat
same but smoked paprika

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

same but smoked paprika

:hmmyes:

also 1/2tsp of chili flakes in virtually every recipe

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Snow Cone Capone posted:

:hmmyes:

also 1/2tsp of chili flakes in virtually every recipe

Yeah chili flakes are great thing just to chuck in to most stuff.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Valko posted:

I almost never make a curry without cinnamon, cloves and bay leaf. Even if it's like butter chicken or tikka masala.

Szyznyk posted:

Why don’t you cinnamon pimps go eat some Gold Star Chili.
i'm going to open the first cincinnati chili parlor in ireland, and lose so, so much money

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

When I cut jalapenos I often deseed them into a frying pan of oil, and cook them for a while, then throw in whatever I'm cooking.

Is that a spice?

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
In all seriousness, I discovered turmeric way too late in life when I started using it in pickling and now I don't understand why every food item on earth doesn't have turmeric added to it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

if you eat a lot of salads, a teaspoon of Colman's powdered mustard, or a teaspoon of Sumac, really elevate a vinaigrette

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

black pepper

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Also, I don't know if this counts but a decent truffle oil can work miracles when used sparingly.............. I'm not intentionally pretentious. I just like good tastes.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
you can't afford it, honey

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Milli Vanilli

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

MSG is pretty good

If food packaging has a big "contains no msg" on it, then I don't buy it because that poo poo's going to be bland af

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Melange.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
radium

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
what ever they do to pork sausage to make it taste like chorizo is the best seasoning

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Old bay. also hickory smoked salt. holy cow hickory salt is loving delicious. you only need a tiny pinch but it's a giant flavor bomb.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Cream of tartar

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
no msg is a cult like nxivm

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

redshirt posted:

When I cut jalapenos I often deseed them into a frying pan of oil, and cook them for a while, then throw in whatever I'm cooking.

Is that a spice?

So close!! That is a shape 💕

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

redshirt posted:

Is that a spice?

I think a "proper" spice is something that can be dried so that it can go long distances without spoiling, like for a spice trade. So powdered chili is a spice, and the real thing is a flavorful vegetable.

My favorite spice is probably celery seed. It's great in nearly every cuisine. It's never really the star, but it layers with other flavors sort of how MSG can't entirely replace salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat
Basil