Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

malnourish posted:

Anyone try the last flame yet? Might pick it up today

I played the prologue and wasn't particularly inspired. I kiiinda want to try the full game and see if there's more to it, but it sounds like the full game suffers from pool dilution; once you unlock everything, your odds of hitting synergies are pitifully low and the game actually gets harder. I imagine things like that will get fixed down the line, but it's easy enough for me to pass and maybe look again in a year when it's at 1.0 (or close to release).

I've been looking between that, Tales and Tactics, and Mechabellum to hit my auto battler itch lately. Can anyone sell me on one of the latter two? T&T looks solid enough, and seems to basically be a single player spin on TFT/Autochess, but it sounds like it's still suffering from being a little basic/early access. Mechabellum sounds neat but I am very over PvP games and the limitations that provides in the genre; I like going at my own pace (usually very fast unless I have a Big Think turn) rather than having artificial pauses to give everyone a fair amount of time to draft or whatever. It's probably the biggest part of what pushed me out of playing more TFT/Autochess/etc in the first place, lol.

I may just be stuck waiting for more singleplayer autobattlers to come out until one hits in exactly the way I want it to. Hopefully Primarch does it; I adored Astronarch, I just thought it was a little ugly and felt like it had a lot of untapped potential to keep being worked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I found Tale and Tactics to be a less interesting version of what Last Flame was doing, so if you don't like the later you might not be impressed with the former. But other people seem to like it so, dunno.

Mechabellum is fantastic, but its very much a game where you are going to occasionally be waiting for your opponents. But the pace still feels different to me than the autochess style of gameplay, and I feel like there is more interesting stuff to read and think about in regards to what your opponent is doing so it might work for you a bit better? Its going to go free to play eventually so you can just wait to try it then.

There are PVP autobattlers that doe allow you to play at your own pace tho, stuff like super auto pets and backpack heroes have modes that only match with an opponent you when you are ready.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 21, 2024

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

Mechabellum is fantastic, but its very much a game where you are going to occasionally be waiting for your opponents. But the pace still feels different to me than the autochess style of gameplay, and I feel like there is more interesting stuff to read and think about in regards to what your opponent is doing so it might work for you a bit better? Its going to go free to play eventually so you can just wait to try it then.

I watched some gameplay of it last night and I think it hit me with some nostalgia for playing RTS games hard enough to earn a sale :shobon:

In the mean time I think I will just give in and try super auto pets first and see if that scratches the itch. I was honestly put off by the fact it has a very hearthstone BG look to its gameplay, but tbh that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Cross-post from the Yi Xian thread:

Xom posted:

Free-to-play release incoming at 1 AM New York time. Big patch; highlights:
  • New sect of martial artists
  • New season mechanic: Each match, four upgrades are offered in a side shop, costing Destiny.
  • Balance changes, including Inspiration Sword 8/12/16 → 6/9/12
  • New cosmetics

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Okay I caved and got Last Flame. Did two runs and yeah the full game is a lot more impressive than the prologue, since it gives you effectively 3x as long to bring a build together. Kind of wondering about the people complaining the game gets too difficult as you lose synergy with more unlocks; so far most of my runs have been trivially carried by spotting a really broken sounding synergy between a passive, an item, and a relic, and just building some monster to carry the team while slowly drafting other bits to augment it. I can't really see that changing much with pool dilution; almost everything *can* benefit everything else in some way, as long as you properly support it.

I think the example I found was grabbing a hero who made their max mana go up every skill cast at the start of the run, because I had seen quite a few things that took advantage of max mana. Then at the first campfire I found a team aura that made everyone gain attack damage based on the highest max mana on the team. I ended up just drafting into full defence across the board whenever possible on other heroes while leaning into building a hyper carry, and by the end of the second act I could wipe out even elite and boss fights with the 25% hp buff in just a few seconds because said synergy was being exploited with an insane amount of attack speed relics so the whole team instantly sky rocketed to triple or quadruple their base attack damage, just annihilating bosses.

I didn't really find anyone to particularly synergize with said hero or anyone else, I just made sure whatever random tanks/healers/defensive items could keep them alive long enough to make the whole team one shot things. For me, finding the OP Draft out of a hundred possible options and making it work like that is the Fun part of auto battlers, so hopefully I can milk a lot more game time out of this thing.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

I found Tale and Tactics to be a less interesting version of what Last Flame was doing, so if you don't like the later you might not be impressed with the former. But other people seem to like it so, dunno.

There are PVP autobattlers that doe allow you to play at your own pace tho, stuff like super auto pets and backpack heroes have modes that only match with an opponent you when you are ready.

Yeah, I've enjoyed Mechabellum a lot. As far as asynchronous stuff goes though, I've been playing a lot of Fairytale Fables. I hear it's much like Storybook Brawl but I haven't played it, so I can't compare. At any rate, it's a card-based autobattler with both async and real time modes. Either mode, you're assigned to a pool of 8. You have a hero ability & attack, up to 7 character slots and receive gold per turn to spend in the shop on characters, spells or items. You can check out what your opponents have done previously between rounds and know who you're being paired against next, so there's a bit of counterplay there. Every few turns you level up and a new set of characters opens up at a higher gold cost. There's a bit of a draft aspect to the shop, a fair number of different archetypes and an emphasis on early game tempo while staying open to move into a good late game comp and outscale the rest of your pool. Stealth feels a little busted right now, but there's a fair bit of variety in how the pools play out.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
I really like T&T. I haven't played the full version of the Last Flame but apart from having some of the same assets, I think the games are quite different.
T&T is a drafting autobattler with tiered perks (which is my favorite kind of autobattler) so it scratches a different itch than Last Flame.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Minera posted:

Kind of wondering about the people complaining the game gets too difficult as you lose synergy with more unlocks

you can find this same complaint in steam reviews for basically every roguelite in existence. people are dumb.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hauki posted:

I've been playing a lot of Fairytale Fables. I hear it's much like Storybook Brawl but I haven't played it, so I can't compare.

Well poo poo. Might have to look at that, I played so much SBB before the NFT stuff went down.

Oh no, AI placeholder art.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
OK yeah this is just straight up storybook brawl lmao. Lot of direct 1:1s, though some balance changes in regards to how spells work stuff like that. Really ugly looking game tho, lol. Not that SSB was exactly a nice looking game, it was extremely generic, but this just feels actively unpleasant on the eyes right now. Still, its SSB and I been missing SSB.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

OK yeah this is just straight up storybook brawl lmao. Lot of direct 1:1s, though some balance changes in regards to how spells work stuff like that. Really ugly looking game tho, lol. Not that SSB was exactly a nice looking game, it was extremely generic, but this just feels actively unpleasant on the eyes right now. Still, its SSB and I been missing SSB.

Yeah, the art definitely leaves something to be desired.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Yi Xian is now free-to-play!

Installs weren't working earlier, but someone said it works now.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Anyone found a solid date for the Android release of Yi Xian? All i find are older references to it releasing at the same time as the Steam version.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I don't know what OS, but the current state of mobile Yi Xian is that it's released in China, and will come to other regions at some point.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1985320/Kdomon_Hyper_Auto_Battlers_Prologue/

demo for a cute not-pokemon autobattler. not sure about the tactical depth on this one but it was kind of fun for a bit. i might check out the full release.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

pretty large tales and tactics update https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1652250/view/4137190765281616575?l=english

they added an asynchronous pvp mode like backpack battles

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
Speaking of which, Backpack Battles released in early access last week:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2427700/Backpack_Battles/

The new classes are pretty interesting, plus they added a bunch of extra subclasses (or they did that before and it's been a while since I played). Looks like the demo's still up too, I'm guessing it's the same as before just without the new stuff.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Alkanos posted:

Speaking of which, Backpack Battles released in early access last week:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2427700/Backpack_Battles/

The new classes are pretty interesting, plus they added a bunch of extra subclasses (or they did that before and it's been a while since I played). Looks like the demo's still up too, I'm guessing it's the same as before just without the new stuff.

Been playing a bunch of this. I played quite a bit of the demo at the end of last year and was pretty excited for it. It's good, but I don't know that it's great.

I really like the Super Auto Pets style of asynchronous multiplayer. Where you're just kind of doing your own thing solitaire style but you get matched up against other players that are doing the same thing. Makes it still feel competitive but without feeling personal in any way - it's a nice compromise I think.

I've played 3 of the 4 classes in to Diamond (not really interested in grinding master+) and once you start getting in to Gold the builds really start to homogenize. The gap between what's good and what's not good is pretty obvious after 10 or 15 rounds with a class - seeing both what you're doing and what you're beating/losing to. So that's a balance issue which is maybe simple to identify but I won't try to say that i's easy to fix. But the other problem is that since everyone is playing from their own pool of items, everyone can just roll for the good builds. In a lobby based auto battler like TFT where everyone pulls from the same pool this problem is somewhat self-correcting: If all 8 players know Jynx is the best champion they can either make the choice to fight over the limited number of Jynx in the pool or get out of the way and do something different while the other players cannibalize each other fighting over the limited resource. There doesn't seem to be that limiting factor in Backpack Battles so you tend to see a lot of the same builds with no kind of diminishing returns for the players forcing it, nor any incentive to the players trying to do something different.

I see just now that there was a patch this morning that, at a glance, is taking the top end off all the stuff that I'd been following as 'busted'. This just shifts the focus on what the 'best' build happens to be without fixing the problem, but closing the gap between what's great and what's only ok is a good start for more variety I hope.

The game is priced at $12 which feels about right. There's not a huge swath of gameplay here (you're always jamming poo poo in a backpack) but the variety between classes and runs is pretty good. Plus, it's a rare game that plays equally well for a 10 minute quick 'play a couple rounds before you go catch the bus' as it does for a couple hours in the evening which is pretty cool.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Yeah, the balance is a bit out of whack at the moment, but hopefully they can figure it out.

Early in the beta there were around 2-3 viable builds per character and I hope they can hit that sweet spot with all the characters.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Yi Xian:

Xom posted:

The latest event, now live, is an async mode with no timer. It's better practice for Ranked than the roguelite mode, because it doesn't have all those powerups. Unlike the roguelite mode, you can't exit and save your progress to resume later. You can play it 2p co-op with card-passing.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Xom posted:

Yi Xian:

Card game with roguelite mode and available on phones? Consider me intrigued.
How is the roguelite mode in particular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I had a good time playing the roguelite mode before I got gud at Ranked.

Currently, only in China is the game on mobile, but they plan to change that eventually.