Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Problem description: NVME drives aren't detected on cold boot after I installed a Samsung 990 Pro on the M2_1 slot and switched my boot/OS drive WD Blue SN550 to M2_2 slot. Board explorer occasionally shows the M2_1 slot on boot on UEFI but M2_2 slot is never shown to have anything on it. The PC automatically enters UEFI on cold boot. If I change anything in UEFI and save, Windows boots normally. I've ended up switching between two identical A-XMP configurations for a workaround. Just exiting UEFI will not allow Windows to boot. Restarts are fine. SATA drives are detected fine on boot on the board explorer.

Attempted fixes: What have you tried to do to resolve the problem?
1. Change between UEFI/CSM.
2. Check boot drive priority
3. Disable fast boot/MSI fast boot (no such option visible under boot nor OS configuration in UEFI). Windows 11 fast boot is disabled.
4. Enable and disable secure boot.
5. Update UEFI, check settings again.
6. Change between M2_1 and M2_2 slot settings to be just Auto and Gen4/Gen3 respectively as appropriate per the drives.

Recent changes:
Swapped the OS drive to M2_2 slot and put the new NVME drive to M2_1 slot. The M2_2 slot only supports up to PCIe 3.0x4

Operating system:
Windows 11

System specs:
MSI B550-A Pro
Corsair CV650
Gainward 3060 Ti
5600x
Kingston 3200 mhz
990 Pro 2 TB
WD Blue SN550 512 gb
Kingston UV500 256 GB
1 TB Western Digital Blue drive

Finland
I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, similar problems are around but I didn't seem to find a fix. I would consider a Windows 11 clean reinstall to see if it's something to do with boot drive and partitions but life is kinda busy right now *and* I'm worried that the drives just won't show up for an install at some point of the process, lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Yeah I updated it earlier and it had no effect

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

I dual boot and for some reason my bios occasionally won’t pick the correct uefi device, usually after an update. My fix is to disable csm (if you don’t need mbr booting) and then reinstall the bootloader to “register” the correct uefi dir with the bios.

I use grub but something like windows fixmbr or whatever the modern equivalent is might fix it for you.

Just a guess.

Edit: BOOTREC /FIXBOOT is the modern repair utility.

atomicpile fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 27, 2023

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Dessel posted:

Board explorer occasionally shows the M2_1 slot on boot on UEFI but M2_2 slot is never shown to have anything on it.

Interesting. At all? Is m2_2 never shown even if it's the only one populated? If that's the case then

If I were working on it: try cleaning it (the m.2 slot(s)) carefully with 70% or stronger isopropyl alcohol. Use an old toothbrush and work very carefully. Unplug the machine from the 220V outlet. Clean the ssd contacts (both sides) too.

Attempted fixes:
All good stuff you did. Great work.

You seem to be running into a hardware issue of some sort, buuuut.... you will likely want to have a windows installer USB set up. You are right about the partitions. Good to check there too, and a clean install will definitely help there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

So turns out updating the SN550 firmware solved the entire issue. Why I didn't update that drive's firmware first instead of the Samsung's is a mystery :doh: I wish I could read their firmware's release notes and history but I can't find it anywhere.

Anyways, problem fixed, thought it was appropriate to update this.