Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:
i've been playing this periodically and am having a blast.

i've also been watching youtube videos to both learn the game and laugh at fun hijinx. however, despite my irony poisoning being as severe and long-suffered as it is, and despite that i get that many comments by youtubers are (at least plausibly) couched in irony, the amount of casual racism packed into some of these videos is really jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I think a lot of people view phobias the way some people view OCD (no offense to anyone itt), that it's like "oh yeah I totally have OCD I always have to check that I have my keys with me", but I've met people who can easily enjoy horror and have their day completely ruined by phobia. It doesn't release endorphins and create exhilaration, it's just a vice on your brain and a triggering of fight-or-flight reflexes and harmful stress. That's not exactly fun.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Verviticus posted:

im curious: are there a lot of people who want to play what is essentially a horror game and get scared, but dont wanna be scared in the very specific way they would be if they saw a spider

There's a difference between "oh that creeps me out" and say, one of my friends who upon seeing a spider seems to lose all ability to think or do anything except recoil and not look.

That first one? They don't need the mode. That second one they need it to be able to actually play the game.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

https://twitter.com/EvilToaster/status/1734517892241133571 (twitter video link but spoilering for thumbnail and text)
typical modded endgame experience

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Is it just me or did the difficulty seem to be amped up this patch? There's a lot more turret spawns on the mid-tier maps now and we're seeing more dangerous monster spawns earlier. But it's mostly the turret numbers getting jacked up on tunnel maps.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Not feeling the turrets part for mid-tier maps but I did get this feeling that we were seeing threats a little earlier on average. The obscurity of it all makes me wonder if it's just my own paranoia.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Still new to this game, but it seems the low tier maps have gotten easier after the update. Had a run the other night where we barely saw any monsters for a good 5 days in a row. Got over confident as a result and dipped our toes into one of the mid tiers, only to get attacked immediately at the main entrance.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Definitely appears as if sentries spawn more often - saw as many in the first three quotas of the current run as we had in all our sessions prior combined. I think it's due to higher hazard levels seeming to be more frequent.

I always run mission control but we left an apparatus behind as night fell so I volunteered to try for it. Giants had already started spawning and I just barely made it back to the ship on time and with a giant right next to the ship. Had to dodge a herd of baboon hawks too.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 16, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/sandstoneartis1/status/1737021079644934402

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Is there a goon LC discord or anything like that where I can find fellows with which to join for shenanigans?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

khy posted:

Is there a goon LC discord or anything like that where I can find fellows with which to join for shenanigans?

the coop goons discord has a channel for lethal company, but i've literally never seen a game happen, so you're probably better off looking for pubbie groups on the dev's own discord channel

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I got copies of this for my friends because gently caress, I really wanted to play it and they probably would've waffled on it for eternity. Turns out, game good! I kinda wish the planets weren't always the same exterior, I guess it makes sense since they're supposed to be the same planet you're landing on but I figured those landing zones would be randomized as well as the interior. That said, I did appreciate it when we landed on a foggy day and we were able to feel our way to the front door.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
my only gripe now is that the jester seems to be a day killer once it shows up. even the ghost girl can be played around, but the jester kind of makes it impossible to keep looking for loot once he's followed somebody to the entrance, especially on mansion maps where you can't get somebody on terminal to try and lock it in a dead end

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
He resets after 30 seconds so you can just go to the fire exit instead.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

dogstile posted:

He resets after 30 seconds so you can just go to the fire exit instead.

That can work sometimes, but its pretty problematic on, say, Rend, where the fire exit is in a horrible location, or if the fire and main exits are close to each other.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, that's just bad luck, but at points that's just how the game rolls.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Hazdoc posted:

the coop goons discord has a channel for lethal company, but i've literally never seen a game happen, so you're probably better off looking for pubbie groups on the dev's own discord channel

Hm maybe I should install discord if no EU goons are around

I had my first match for a few hours with some randoms last night and it was great fun. Ideally I'd find some community where there was zero casual sexism but I think statistically that's probably pretty rare? I haven't really interacted with strangers in games for decades so I dunno

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

played with a friend who didnt know the new update's features yet, he was playing mission control and told us to spin in circles if we wanted to be teleported

found the mask in the mansion entrance hall and decided to put it on so the Creature would start spinning uncontrollably

the inevitable happened

10/10 way to be a dick exactly once

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Rounded up a few new players and told them to keep ringing the bell.

"What!"

:allears:

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
We're playing Lethal Company nightly if anyone wants to hop on our discord and small group. PM me for the invite.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZuJY39gCos

other POV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_134p3zD4VI

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Landrobot posted:

We're playing Lethal Company nightly if anyone wants to hop on our discord and small group. PM me for the invite.

id be down but im assuming youre american which means time zones wont work

which sucks because my first time trying to play a game i found a good group of pubbies, then added them to steam and played again with them a few nights ago, but just spent twenty minutes trying to join random lobbies tonight with no luck. "error occured (sic)" and even after checking for latest windows/graphics drivers, checking game file integrity, restarting my pc, installing the mod thing and mod compatibility checker etc, still no luck. shame, its fun when it works

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I always just assumed all the error lobbies are just people with mods I don't have.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
compatability checker mod only works if the host also has it

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

ahh ok that makes sense. yeah i guess the mod/lobby situation is something theyll have to work on

but i did manage to find a server that worked and played for a couple hours. poo poo is good once youre in

boofhead fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 31, 2023

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1966720/view/3882730411609737888

Version 47 update: server tags and challenge moons

also this was hella cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f28nKLp-eKg

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 9, 2024

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Oh that's sick

Tbh patch notes are ok but biggest for me would be improved lobby and more info on your steam friends current game, it's a mess

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

So is there a way to fix the voice chat delay effect they added in one of the recent updates? It makes it harder to hear people ingame, which is fine, but that combined with this horrible feature where spectators get audio effects of the area the spectated person is in applied to their voice... It's impossible to hear anyone else spectating.

These features are nearly game ruining for me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've played this a few times with my friends. We're very bad, but it's fun. We lucked out and are on the 4th quota on our current game (we can only play for a couple hours at a time so we just saved when someone had to leave). I'm thinking of getting the "teleporter" for our next play session, since we have enough money for it now. Sounds really useful.

We tried having someone use the monitor for the first time last time we played, and it was very helpful. Granted, that's largely because I think all of us (and especially me) have a terrible sense of direction. But just being told "there's loot in this direction" or "there are enemies in this direction" is helpful.

For whatever reason, the horror elements to this game don't phase me at all, despite me generally being terrible with all other horror games/media. I have no problem with just boldly wandering into the darkness.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The teleporter is fantastic just for getting bodies back, saving you a ton of cash. Also means you don't have to choose between an axel and a body if your buddy dies at the entrance with you. 10/10.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah just recovering bodies makes the teleporter worth it and it's also great for saving a teammate who got facehugged when they're not near a door or a buddy with a shovel.

Ytlaya posted:

We tried having someone use the monitor for the first time last time we played, and it was very helpful. Granted, that's largely because I think all of us (and especially me) have a terrible sense of direction. But just being told "there's loot in this direction" or "there are enemies in this direction" is helpful.

I run mission control and once we started doing that the game became a million times easier.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Just spend all your money every quota, then ignoring bodies costs you nothing!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Teleporters are an investment assuming you will end up with a bunch of spare cash in the future and thus recovering bodies is pretty important. The actual gain in saving people isn't used nearly as much as just saving bodies from my experience which is a shame given how you can do things like a person to distract things far away from people to then seal behind doors and recover the crewmate.

urf
Jul 12, 2009
I've been regularly playing LC a few times a week since the start of December with friends and this game just keeps on giving, I can't wait to see what's coming next from the dev

Also, the modding community for this game is incredible and sharing modpacks from load order to config file settings is so loving easy with thunderstore, drop in a code or file and everything is automatically downloaded and set up

If anyone feels like taking a chill modpack for a spin use this code 018d4d84-b00c-40d0-f35b-70f5a40115d6 with the thunderstore mod manager

the goal of the modpack was to add extra content and features that still feel in line with the spirit of the game (and some just added because they're funny, like loot bugs being able to items they're holding)

the mods in the pictures below are optional client side things so you don't need them but the rest all need to be on

Only registered members can see post attachments!

urf
Jul 12, 2009

uh whoops guess I messed up with that other image

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I've been playing on my friend's server and having a great time.

He has like 40 mods so I'm not sure what all is doing what, but we always end up doing dance parties after a successful run, with a bunch of extra dance emotes and the more than 4 player mod and a boombox mod that you can upload YouTube audio to.

A useful one is having the walkie-talkie audio be audible for people standing nearby, since by default it isn't.

An evil one is adding mimic fire doors so you aren't ever confident when you find one if it will lead outside or swallow you whole. Mission control can help identify them, but in a panic, you just hope for the best.

Do people generally get shovels and go aggro on stuff? We tend not to for whatever reason, something about being basically unarmed helps with the disempowerment feeling.

urf
Jul 12, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've been playing on my friend's server and having a great time.

He has like 40 mods so I'm not sure what all is doing what, but we always end up doing dance parties after a successful run, with a bunch of extra dance emotes and the more than 4 player mod and a boombox mod that you can upload YouTube audio to.

A useful one is having the walkie-talkie audio be audible for people standing nearby, since by default it isn't.

An evil one is adding mimic fire doors so you aren't ever confident when you find one if it will lead outside or swallow you whole. Mission control can help identify them, but in a panic, you just hope for the best.

Do people generally get shovels and go aggro on stuff? We tend not to for whatever reason, something about being basically unarmed helps with the disempowerment feeling.

there's a companion mod for the mimic fire doors one that adds a new wrinkle: exterior fire doors send you to a random fire door on the inside so you're not even sure if the door you're in front of you is real or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

urf posted:

there's a companion mod for the mimic fire doors one that adds a new wrinkle: exterior fire doors send you to a random fire door on the inside so you're not even sure if the door you're in front of you is real or not

Hahaha, that makes it even nastier! Someone said you could hit the door and it would make a growl sound if it was a mimic, so it seems there is at least a way to test it in the field.