Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which shall we read in December?
This poll is closed.
Moon on the Crusted Snow 3 20.00%
Murder on the Orient Express 4 26.67%
The Terror 1 6.67%
Love 7 46.67%
Total: 8 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

The contestants...

Moon on the Crusted Snow by Waubgeshig Rice

quote:

Moon of the Crusted Snow is a 2018 post-apocalyptic thriller novel by Waubgeshig Rice. Set in a rural Anishinaabe community in northern Canada, it follows a group of community members after they are cut off from the rest of the world amidst a societal collapse. A sequel, Moon of the Turning Leaves, was published on October 10, 2023. The novel was nominated for the 2019 John W. Campbell Memorial Award for Best Science Fiction Novel.

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

quote:

Murder on the Orient Express is a work of detective fiction by English writer Agatha Christie featuring the Belgian detective Hercule Poirot. It was first published in the United Kingdom by the Collins Crime Club on 1 January 1934. In the United States, it was published on 28 February 1934,[1][2] under the title of Murder in the Calais Coach, by Dodd, Mead and Company.[3][4] The UK edition retailed at seven shillings and sixpence (7/6)[5] and the US edition at $2.[4]

The elegant train of the 1930s, the Orient Express, is stopped by heavy snowfall. A murder is discovered, and Poirot's trip home to London from the Middle East is interrupted to solve the case. The opening chapters of the novel take place primarily in Istanbul. The rest of the novel takes place in Yugoslavia, with the train trapped between Vinkovci and Brod.

The Terror by Dan Simmons

quote:

The Terror is a 2007 novel by American author Dan Simmons.[1] It is a fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin's lost expedition, on HMS Erebus and HMS Terror, to the Arctic, in 1845–1848, to locate the Northwest Passage. In the novel, while Franklin and his crew are plagued by starvation and illness, and forced to contend with mutiny and cannibalism, they are stalked across the bleak Arctic landscape by a monster.[2]

Most of the characters featured in The Terror are actual members of Franklin's crew, whose unexplained disappearance has warranted a great deal of speculation. The main characters in the novel include Captain Sir John Franklin, commander of the expedition and captain of Erebus; Captain Francis Crozier, captain of Terror; Dr. Harry D. S. Goodsir; and Commander James Fitzjames.[3]

The Terror was nominated for the British Fantasy Award in 2008[4] and adapted for the first season of an eponymous television series that aired on AMC TV in 2018.

Love by Hanne Ørstavik (translated into English by Martin Aitken)

quote:

Love is the story of a single mother, Vibeke, and her son Jon, who have just moved to a small, remote town in the north of Norway. It’s the day before Jon’s birthday, but Vibeke, preoccupied with concerns of her own, has forgotten this. With a man on her mind, she ventures to the local library, while Jon goes out to sell lottery tickets for his sports club. From there we follow the two characters on their separate journeys through a cold winter’s night, as Ørstavik weaves together the two narratives in electric prose masterfully rendered into English by translator Martin Aitken.
Guardian review of this is: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/nov/20/love-by-hanne-orstavik-review

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mhm, mhm, can you explain why Snow by Orhan Pamuk isn’t in here

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Sandwolf posted:

Mhm, mhm, can you explain why Snow by Orhan Pamuk isn’t in here

yes

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

sorry that sounded snarkier than it was meant.

We had already discussed this on the discord, they meant it as a joke since the thread poll was called Snow but no book called Snow was there (I had no idea there was a book called Snow)

Here I was going for the humorous answering of the literal question and ignoring the obvious implicit question actually being asked. Hilarious.

Anyway I'm delighted Love is doing so well, but there is still time to vote for your favourite!

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 29, 2023

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I read someone's review of The Terror in the general horror thread a few years back, and sadly it made me never want to read anything Simmons writes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

escape artist posted:

I read someone's review of The Terror in the general horror thread a few years back, and sadly it made me never want to read anything Simmons writes.

Apparently this one was written before his, whatever, but I can understand that sentiment