Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Despite, not because of the colouring choices. Everything looked like it was a gloomy evening all the time. Is that just the standard filter for 'olden times' now, like yellow for the global south?

It looked like a blue-filtered PS5 Pro remake of Final Fantasy Tactics and it's awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To this film's credit it got me to go back and watch Sharpe again. Sharpe is awesome, you should all watch Sharpe.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Mullitt posted:

I think in general digital cinematography defaults to bad but it's worse when you're shooting fast and with multiple cameras as I've read he does. He seems old and lazy when it comes to things other than just getting the movie done.

Did you time travel from 2007 with this opinion lmao

I highly doubt that Dariusz Wolski, an absolute master of his craft, just turns his ISO up for dark scenes and calls it day. Absolute absurd conjecture. You just didnt like the way the movie looked, its not really violating any standard practice.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 16, 2023

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

AccountSupervisor posted:

Did you time travel from 2007 with this opinion lmao

I highly doubt that Dariusz Wolski, an absolute master of his craft, just turns his ISO up for dark scenes and calls it day. Absolute absurd conjecture. You just didnt like the way the movie looked, its not really violating any standard practice.

Cinematographers are at the mercy of the director and the production in general. Just because they occupy a technical role does not also mean that they’re robots who are able to always produce good results by nature of their experience. Every instance of bad CGI in movies probably also had someone overseeing it that had years or decades of experience doing their job. I think there are movies shot by Roger Deakins and James Wong Howe that don’t look very good either. There are creative choices made by the director and the cinematographer that can be at odds with each other, things that are unachievable due to budget or time reasons, lighting difficulties on locations shoots etc.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Mullitt posted:

I'm just grabbing frames from Youtube here but these are good examples of why I don't like The Last Duel and Napoleon's approach to a lot of the outdoor / low light cinematography.
https://imgur.com/J8mTLqP
There are a lot of shots like this with an extremely bright background and dimly lit foreground. Combined with a moving camera and an in my opinion ugly and tacky blue filter the image becomes very murky and ill defined. And this is for a very simple establishing shot.
https://imgur.com/JdgMloB
Then you also have these low light shots where it looks like you just upped the aperture or the ISO on your digital camera so everything is washed out. With the same blue filter. There were shots in Napoleon where they would show the sky and it would just be a blue filter and a blown out super bright sun. Ugly.

I think in general digital cinematography defaults to bad but it's worse when you're shooting fast and with multiple cameras as I've read he does. He seems old and lazy when it comes to things other than just getting the movie done.

These look good for random upload moving camera screen grabs tho

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think after giving it a little bit of time to marinate, my feeling on the film is that it's three pretty bad films loosely tied together with an old, threadbare bow.

As a biopic, it presupposes the audience already believes Napoleon is a huge rear end in a top hat, and ultimately comes off like an 8th grader's history report. We get a chronological telling of a bunch of key dates where stuff happened, but no actual explanation of why any of that stuff matters.

As far as the romance/drama and war movie aspects, frankly I'm wondering if it's intentionally bad. Like, was this movie a parody that just didn't land for me? This is the most disjointed, disconnected from scene to scene, major motion picture I've seen since Rise of Skywalker, and I think I'm mostly just annoyed by it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think the film would work better if there was literally any connective tissue between any of the scenes. It feels like the film was tailor built for those youtube channels that post best-of clips from the TV shows they're streaming.

Also completely ignoring how insane the period from 1813-1814 bugged me. If you really wanted to make a movie about Napoleon throwing tantrums I can't think of much better material than his meltdown over various marshals.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, I had no idea what I was supposed to be invested in or paying attention to. Biopics can struggle with focus since real people's lives don't usually follow natural arcs, but even then they tend to manage it with focus on a particular topic. The Rise of Skywalker comparisons seem about right, it seems like they cut all of the connective tissue and context.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ironic since Napoleon has an aricer arc than the arc de triomphe

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Despite, not because of the colouring choices. Everything looked like it was a gloomy evening all the time. Is that just the standard filter for 'olden times' now, like yellow for the global south?

Haven't seen Napoleon yet (waiting for the proper full cut) but if you mean Last Duel, I remember some scenes do occur in the gloom of a forest or overcast day. And others in in brightly lit halls and sunny afternoons :shrug: half of it was filmed in Ireland that's just how it looks

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I think I shall avoid Ireland.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Just to complete the loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAb_Q8ajWnM

Adbot