Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Dead Sex-Parrot posted:

Thanks! :cheers:

And reading this I see I've been messing up my chocolate for a good many years. Next year though, oh boy.

It's probably worth making a couple test batches between now and then. Candymaking, like baking, is pretty unforgiving - practice makes perfect. You day to day meals are going to be far more unforgiving than any recipe that includes "candy thermometer" as required equipment (similar to requiring a scale for baking).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal
I have been trying my hand at making vanilla fudge since last week and have run into an issue. The recipes I found so far seem to fall into two camps:
1) Heat up the fudge to 238°F/114°C while stirring constantly. Take off heat, let cool undisturbed until it cools down to 230°F/110°C, then beat until it loses its gloss, pour into pan to set.
2) Bring fudge to a boil while stirring, then heat up to 238°F/114°C without stirring at all. Take off heat, let cool undisturbed until it cools down to 110°F/43°C, then beat until it loses its gloss, pour into pan to set.

The first method resulted in a slightly sandy texture. Not outright grainy like biting on a piece of granulated sugar, but it feel just a bit rough on the tongue. People still loved it, but fudge isn't really a thing where I live so there was no frame of reference or expectation.

I tried the second method yesterday. This gave me a extremely smooth texture, no roughness at all, which I found vastly superior. However, without stirring at all the fudge did burn a bit at the bottom of the pan, enough the affect the flavor. I had the heat at a 4 out of 9, and heating the mix from 212°F/100°C to 239°F/115°C took about 30 minutes.

From what I read so far the texture I got from the second method is what I am aiming for, while the sandy texture I got from the first method is undesirable. So my questions for the experienced fudge makers around:
-Did I screw something up when making the first batch using the "always be stirring" method? Or does this method just produce a different result with a less smooth texture by design?
-How do I prevent scorching the bottom without stirring when using the second method? Will just lowering the heat further be enough or will there always be some scorching?

Any help would be much appreciated, this stuff kinda had me hooked from the first bite and I'd like to get it right.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Schnitzler posted:

I have been trying my hand at making vanilla fudge since last week and have run into an issue. The recipes I found so far seem to fall into two camps:
1) Heat up the fudge to 238°F/114°C while stirring constantly. Take off heat, let cool undisturbed until it cools down to 230°F/110°C, then beat until it loses its gloss, pour into pan to set.
2) Bring fudge to a boil while stirring, then heat up to 238°F/114°C without stirring at all. Take off heat, let cool undisturbed until it cools down to 110°F/43°C, then beat until it loses its gloss, pour into pan to set.

The first method resulted in a slightly sandy texture. Not outright grainy like biting on a piece of granulated sugar, but it feel just a bit rough on the tongue. People still loved it, but fudge isn't really a thing where I live so there was no frame of reference or expectation.

I tried the second method yesterday. This gave me a extremely smooth texture, no roughness at all, which I found vastly superior. However, without stirring at all the fudge did burn a bit at the bottom of the pan, enough the affect the flavor. I had the heat at a 4 out of 9, and heating the mix from 212°F/100°C to 239°F/115°C took about 30 minutes.

From what I read so far the texture I got from the second method is what I am aiming for, while the sandy texture I got from the first method is undesirable. So my questions for the experienced fudge makers around:
-Did I screw something up when making the first batch using the "always be stirring" method? Or does this method just produce a different result with a less smooth texture by design?
-How do I prevent scorching the bottom without stirring when using the second method? Will just lowering the heat further be enough or will there always be some scorching?

Any help would be much appreciated, this stuff kinda had me hooked from the first bite and I'd like to get it right.

One thing you might want to check is the boiling point of water where you live. I live at a fairly high elevation and had a ton of trouble with fudge because the boiling point of water here is about 204 F - which means that I needed to lower my target temperatures by about 8 degrees (give or take - I don't know if you always want to go the exact difference or not).

And I would definitely recommend lowering the heat if you're scorching the pan. Getting a better pan might also help but I'm definitely not particularly knowledgeable on that subject.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

So until next Christmas I'm going to try my luck again creating French nougat that is actually snappy and doesn't just droop and melt out. This Christmas I tried a French recipe that was supposed to be "un-gently caress-upable", involving using a hair dryer (!) to blow into the bowl of honey meringue as it was slowly worked by the machine. Still turned out melty, although it's the firmest I've gotten so far. But I want the kind that actually will break cleanly and look delicious and white with nuts embedded in it.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Add a tablespoon of plaster-of-paris

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Force de Fappe posted:

So until next Christmas I'm going to try my luck again creating French nougat that is actually snappy and doesn't just droop and melt out. This Christmas I tried a French recipe that was supposed to be "un-gently caress-upable", involving using a hair dryer (!) to blow into the bowl of honey meringue as it was slowly worked by the machine. Still turned out melty, although it's the firmest I've gotten so far. But I want the kind that actually will break cleanly and look delicious and white with nuts embedded in it.
Nougat texture comes down to sugar syrup temperature. The farther you cook it, the stiffer the nougat will be. Additionally, if your egg whites are over beaten, you can end up with weepy nougat that quickly turns sticky. As mentioned above, altitude modifications may be necessary. Nougat is finicky on the best day, and the only way to get it consistent is to make it multiple times, adjusting as needed. Powdered egg whites can be helpful as well, so you can get really precise with both amount and hydration. On that note, measure everything by weight and if your recipe calls for vanilla, use pods instead of extract, again for moisture control. As with most candy and confections, the more consistent you can make everything, the easier it is to adjust specific components for flavor and texture. A good, easily readable and accurate candy thermometer is a must as well. This is a solid overview and has all measurements by grams and mL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anybody have a favorite malt ball recipe or an author you trust who has a recipe? I have good temperature control and measurement, and some teensy silicone molds which I'm hoping will be helpful.