Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite MMA story of 2023?
This poll is closed.
The fall of Valentina Shevchenko 3 7.14%
Tom Aspinall's comeback 1 2.38%
Francis Ngannou floors Tyson Fury 34 80.95%
actually boy that one was really great 1 2.38%
honestly you should probably vote for that one 1 2.38%
why are you still reading this 2 4.76%
Total: 42 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

You only get a therapeutic use exemption if you don't intale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Anyone wants to stay up for the last card of the year Rizin 45 is on

First few fights are free on youtubes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJBbkYyNlAY

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

edit: jedi was seconds faster and i'm leaving this as an exhibition of shame

JMMA new year's has begun, if you are a degenerate like us who is staying up for it.

It's $20 on Fite but the prelims are also on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJBbkYyNlAY

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Nice knees to the dome

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I do not like Japanese Sean O'Malley but he does have a real good right.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
That was a good violencing

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

are all these guys walking one gonna be fighting in a free for all?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Brut posted:

are all these guys walking one gonna be fighting in a free for all?

In a way, everyone fights together, but in another way, everyone fights alone.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Paulo Filho and Tony know how to fight alone and together at the same time.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i was wondering how tony was still having a doctor clear him for more brain damage. of course there was a space time rift and filho and tony were speaking to each other

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Rizin card was pretty good. Very long. 9 hours long

Also, Conor did in fact make an announcement for his return.
Will be against Chandler (shocking) at 185lbs on the June card for International Fight Week. Think that would be UFC 302.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I’m the two lightweights fighting at 185 because steroids are legal now

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Digital Jedi posted:

Will be against Chandler (shocking) at 185lbs

One hundred. And eighty-five pounds.

Unreal.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
gonna Gas Out enough for Two Man

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Lmao 185. At least he’s being upfront that he’ll never be competitive for a title again.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
170, fine whatever. 185? That’s hysterical. I want to see a chart of all active Middleweights with Chandler and McGregor next to them.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
otoh i am extremely in favour of watching conor get tooled by izzy

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
It is Conor so still take it with a massive grain of salt.
Aside from the fact 'i'll believe it when i see it" for him to fight ever again.
Might just be a reference to them from their TUF
https://x.com/mma_orbit/status/1741523773340196915?s=20

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

BJ Penn heard about some karate guy at lhw and went up via 50lbs of burger king. Conor is fighting lightweights at 185 that he used all the steroids to get to.

Lol.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Fighting at 185 is such a miserable decision for Conor, too. The guy needed to completely rebuild his style and he spent his time off doing steroids and accruing credible rape allegations. I can’t imagine he has anything for Chandler or any other competent LW with the ability to watch Conor’s second and third fights with Dustin. The move after crashing out of LW relevance would be to move up, but no one will want to see him at welterweight or middleweight if he’s getting sparked by LWs at 185.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Steroid UFC is off to a flying start.

I wonder if Conor is thinking MW because Strickland looks like the most beatable champ in a division he can still make weight in? Sorta like how GSP came back mostly because he was pretty confident he could beat Bisping.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Rizin announced tgat Manny is fighting Floyd in a Rizin mma exhibition thing and I laughed heartily

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sounds like a 4/10 Dana mad scale but I’m fine with it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lucasar posted:

I wonder if Conor is thinking MW because Strickland looks like the most beatable champ in a division he can still make weight in? Sorta like how GSP came back mostly because he was pretty confident he could beat Bisping.

now i'm imagining strickland outpointing Conor in an uninspiring fight before Strickland cuts a promo as a more racist Wildling from Game of Thrones.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

has anyone other than conor said that conor is fighting?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Lucasar posted:

I don’t think that Conor has put any more thought into this beyond thinking about how he doesn’t want to cut weight or stop doing steroids. But that said, Strickland may indeed be the best matchup for him of the current champions.

Brut posted:

No.

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
The idea of Conor fighting at middle weight where his reach, that previously was his huge advantage, is basically completely mediocre is entirely laughable.

I do look forward to any future fights from him. (In the octagon.)

mewse
May 2, 2006

all that steroid meat makes guys tired too. let's watch conor get gassed and choked out

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Brut posted:

actually now that you mention it, fighting chandler at 185 in this light looks like conor trying to get dana to say no to something so he can take his shirt off and scream redly on insta live about no one wanting to fight him.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

actually now that you mention it, fighting chandler at 185 in this light looks like conor trying to get dana to say no to something so he can take his shirt off and scream redly on insta live about no one wanting to fight him.

Even Chandler's reaction I think can be summed up as "lol ok whatever dude"

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1741520475241812356

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RedSky posted:

The idea of Conor fighting at middle weight where his reach, that previously was his huge advantage, is basically completely mediocre is entirely laughable.

I do look forward to any future fights from him. (In the octagon.)

he's not fighting at middleweight though, he's fighting a lightweight at a weight he can feasibly reach because his body is permanently roid bloated. it's a big difference even if it seems a bit nitpicky.
the likes of pereira would utterly murder him.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

the likes of pereira would utterly murder him.

this crossed my mind because i like the idea of conor being badly hurt but even literally weighing that and full of all the roids nobody would sanction it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

it would be utterly delightful

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Marching Powder posted:

this crossed my mind because i like the idea of conor being badly hurt but even literally weighing that and full of all the roids nobody would sanction it

Every athletic commission in the US would sanction this fight within a nanosecond. They shouldn't, but they would.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Freudian slippers posted:

Every athletic commission in the US would sanction this fight within a nanosecond. They shouldn't, but they would.

Yup. Deron Winn exists.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The moment 185 came up, I looked for pics of Conor next to Alex, but couldn’t find any.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

My 2023 recap/review is up

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4050891

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

You are legally required to read Lobmob's post but do so in the new thread because it is 2024 and we have to burn this one or we'll never be free of 2023.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4050899