Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
On startup I get a System Thread Exception Not Handled blue screen error after installing a 4 TB Samsung 870 EVO that does not have the OS. My computer has Windows 10, with the OS on a 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, and most data on a 3TB HDD. The HDD was running slow and potentially failing, so I bought the new SSD and just dropped that into the computer. The computer is about 5 years old, and I do not update drivers religiously so it is likely a bunch of them are fairly old. I can see all hard drives in the bios and the old SSD with the OS is the highest priority boot drive. I tried booting in safe mode which crashes and Windows automatic repair fails. In the bios it has the boot SSD as AHCI 3, the DVD drive (empty) as AHCI 4, and both the old HDD and the new SSD without a number, just AHCI. Further in the bios it has them listed as A1 and A2. I am not sure if the plugs or where it was plugged into the power supply matter. I found SATA cables with both 5 pins in a row or 3x2 power, I used the 3x2 because that is what the 250gb drive was using. Sorry for the poor formatting, phone posting.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I took the new SSD out and now the computer works again (though weirdly I had to reinstall chrome, it would not open or respond at all). Any thoughts on what the issue could be? Does it need drivers or is there some sort of hardware problem?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Is the failing hard drive still attached? Does it need to be?

You may have chrome installed in your user profile which may be on the failing hard drive or your profile had to be rebuilt due to a failing hard drive.

If you can, boot only with the 840 installed, test stability, then install the samsung again. Both times without the 3TB HDD.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
SSDs can also fail like this. I've got an ADATA SSD in that's been driving me crazy but I'm slowly getting data from.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I do not actually know if the HDD is failing, maybe twice a year it does not show up in the directory and I need to restart the computer, and it seems like it has been slowing down a bit over the last few months or so. I wanted to pre-emptively replace it so if it does crash I have everything backed up. The Chrome that was not working is on the 250gb OS SSD, which at least Samsung Magician says is in good condition. The only thing I can think of is that trying Windows repair did something, because it had two folders with IP address style names that were 200-400 mb that look like they were installed when the computer was not working and I was trying to troubleshoot it. I am kind of surprised a blank HD is blue screening at startup, I figured it would just not show up if something went wrong. The computer seems stable and back to where it was after taking out the new drive. I can try messing around with it later if somehow a different port combination would get it to work or something. Is there any difference between the SATA cords with a flat 5 pin power plug vs the 3x2 pin?

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 3, 2023

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

You can also run https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php to check the health of your drives.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Pain of Mind posted:

I do not actually know if the HDD is failing, maybe twice a year it does not show up in the directory and I need to restart the computer, and it seems like it has been slowing down a bit over the last few months or so. I wanted to pre-emptively replace it so if it does crash I have everything backed up. The Chrome that was not working is on the 250gb OS SSD, which at least Samsung Magician says is in good condition. The only thing I can think of is that trying Windows repair did something, because it had two folders with IP address style names that were 200-400 mb that look like they were installed when the computer was not working and I was trying to troubleshoot it. I am kind of surprised a blank HD is blue screening at startup, I figured it would just not show up if something went wrong. The computer seems stable and back to where it was after taking out the new drive. I can try messing around with it later if somehow a different port combination would get it to work or something. Is there any difference between the SATA cords with a flat 5 pin power plug vs the 3x2 pin?

Yeah check your drives with HD Sentinel. Teslas sitting around in a parking lot explode for no reason; a failing hard drive can return data or commands that confuse the computer even if you're not storing anything on it!

Computers are not fun at all and seldom work with any sort of common sense :krad:

The SATA power cord and connector coming from your power supply is standardized no matter what the cable/wiring looks like. SATA power requires 5 wires. 3+2 adds to 5 so that tracks. I *think* that's what you're talking about anyway.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
HD Sentinel seems to think my HDs are ok while simultaneously saying my 250GB SSD only has 85 days to live at 85% health, which seems somewhat pessimistic. Is there any easy way to troubleshoot the new HD? It is kind of a pain since it kills the computer, and it is not that convenient to keep messing with since the computer is in an enclosed cabinet at the max length of all the connecting cords, it takes a bit of time to disconnect everything and get it back connected.

Zogo posted:

Make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

The bios probably has not been updated since I got the motherboard ~ 5 years ago. Generally is an older bios likely to cause issues with newer hardware? I will try to do that as well, see if it helps any.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 5, 2023

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Pain of Mind posted:

HD Sentinel seems to think my HDs are ok while simultaneously saying my 250GB SSD only has 85 days to live at 85% health, which seems somewhat pessimistic. Is there any easy way to troubleshoot the new HD? It is kind of a pain since it kills the computer, and it is not that convenient to keep messing with since the computer is in an enclosed cabinet at the max length of all the connecting cords, it takes a bit of time to disconnect everything and get it back connected.

The bios probably has not been updated since I got the motherboard ~ 5 years ago. Generally is an older bios likely to cause issues with newer hardware? I will try to do that as well, see if it helps any.

HD Sentinel goes off of common agreed upon timelines of wear. Your SSD is getting pretty old and it's telling you that. BIOS definitely can have an impact on new hardware. New features and standards are constantly getting released, all it takes is a software update to make em work. I doubt it's going to do anything speed wise but who knows.

SSDs are crazy cheap right now fyi if you want to go down that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

down1nit posted:

HD Sentinel goes off of common agreed upon timelines of wear. Your SSD is getting pretty old and it's telling you that. BIOS definitely can have an impact on new hardware. New features and standards are constantly getting released, all it takes is a software update to make em work. I doubt it's going to do anything speed wise but who knows.

SSDs are crazy cheap right now fyi if you want to go down that route.

I will update the bios tonight and see if it fixes anything. I did buy a SSD, that is what started this problem in the first place! I actually thought about getting 2 to also replace the 250gb drive, but figured I could wait a bit on that.