Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

Financial Goals
1. Pay off half the pool loan. Currently at $29,786. Stretch goal: under $10k.
2. Emergency Fund > $20k. Currently at $15,992. We dipped into it for some pet emergencies.
3. Save $2k per month. Split between brokerage and savings accounts.
4. FINALLY start a Roth IRA via backdoor. Keep kicking this down the road.
5. Max 401k.

Personal Goals
1. Read 25 books. Hit 26 in 2023, but keeping this consistent as my new job will likely take up more of my time.
2. Play 25 rounds of golf. 21 rounds last year, so looking to add ~20% more rounds. And hopefully lower my handicap.
3. 200 workout days. Hit 170 workout days last year, defined as working out at least 30 minutes.
4. Book trips to Singapore and London. These will be the two big ones this year, with a few smaller ones mixed in.

Financial Goals
1. Pay off half the pool loan ($29,786 -> $14,893). Paid $3,123 of principal, 21.7% of goal (new balance: $26,555)
2. Emergency Fund > $20k. Current balance, $17,573, +$1,581 (39.4% of goal)
3. Save $2k per month. Saved $7000, +$1000 above goal ($3500/$1500/$2000)
4. FINALLY start a Roth IRA via backdoor. Have set aside $1000 so far for the 2024 tax year
5. Max 401k. On track

Personal Goals
1. Read 25 books. 9 books read in Q1, +3 ahead of goal
2. Play 25 rounds of golf. Haven't gone out yet; walked a short par 3 course and been to the range a few times
3. 200 workout days. 62 in Q1, +12 ahead of pace
4. Book trips to Singapore and London. Singapore doesn't look like it'll happen, but London should be booked soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannot
Nov 29, 2007
Grimey Drawer
March

Had an offer accepted on a house (!) I'd been admiring for months, but with a condition I didn't feel comfortable agreeing to. I still hope there would be some way to finagle it and I may be able to but I don't think they'd consider me again...A little frustrated because honestly if I had gone to the next step, and then they presented the condition after, I probably would have agreed! Sometimes I hate being so risk averse with money...

1. Increase emergency fund to $10,000. Achieved. Will add a little here and there, hopefully.
2. Reduce private student loan to less than $10,000. ~$15,980 (-~$450)
3. Contribute average of $150/month to Roth IRA. +$300, average $300/month.
4. Rollover 401K balance from previous employer. No action.
5. Invest at least $1,000 in S&P 500. $500 invested.
6. Increase net worth by 50%, excluding mortgage/home value if applicable. +6.8% this month, +16.5% for year.
7. Keep grocery/toiletries/beauty spending to an average of $350 or less per month. ~$450. Yeah, goal was too low. I could cut maybe $45 but I'm really not purchasing or wasting much. Maybe I should have a separate pet or health category.
8. Save $3,200 for trip by June 15th. Achieved in February.
9. Save average of $350 per month in house fund. +$900, average $710/month.

10. Read 40 books. 6/40
11. Work out 15 times per month. 11/15
12. Practice piano 1.5 hours a week. Terrible.

Special March Goals!!

13. Work out SEVENTEEN times. 11/17, personal stuff and work and excuses.
14. Spend less than $100 eating out/on drinks etc. $107.10. Eh...$7.10 was truly wasteful, but I'll consider this a win. Rest was social and gifting to people so I feel fine about that.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

March Update!

1. Raise net worth by $361k to $405k. $382k.

2. Increase emergency fund from $20k to $22k. $21k.

3. Open a 18 month CD in Feb. 2024, fund with a minimum of $5k. I did open a CD in February, but I opened a 12 month one as it had the best interest rate.

3. Open a 18 month CD in Aug. 2024, fund with a minimum of $5k. Not yet!

4. Make one extra mortgage payment. .39 extra payment made

5. Contribute a minimum of $5.8k to Roth IRA. $1970.

6. Stay at or under my Eating Out budget for 9 out of 12 months. 2/12

7. Lose 15 pounds. 2.2/15. No progress the last few months. Have been great with workouts, eating not so much.

8. Read 12 books. 1/12. Partially through a book I need to finish and have another on deck.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
April update. As anticipated, worse than March. The work crisis has continued, and I'll have similar issues in May. Still working stuff.

Personal/Finance
1. Read two books a month to resolve primary backlog, 10/20. Did manage to read one extra during my trip. May add 2 more to the target amount.
2. Get a will. No progress. Still low priority.
3. Move to larger place in lower CoL area. Still occurring after organizational cleanup below.
4. Bank account transfer. Set up initial savings account at Ally for general transfer use, will conduct rest of transfer in May.
= Document all autopaid accounts to prep for transfer.
5. Set up IRA. This has become a priority due to administrator changes at vanguard; I will make the needed changes- still need to figure out what- in May.
6. Lose 30 pounds, 5/30. No change.

Organizational cleanup
Complete indexing and stable permanent organization of:
1. Hardcopy file archive (three cabinets remaining, approx. 0/20 feet). Still frozen, but my source is purportedly working on it now. I can't wait to be free of these stacks of paper.
2. Email archive process files from 10 years of archive, 8/10 and new presort rules needed. Plan to finish in May.
3. Electronic file archive (still need to create a manifest, these are all over the place). Frozen until other tasks worked on.
4. Internet bookmark archive:
4a. Primary set Done, reduced to ongoing operating minimum.
4b. Secondary set Done.
4c. Tertiary set ?/~1600 divided across 9 systems. Made some progress on the worst of these sets, will try to finish it in May. The rest will be a cakewalk.
4d. Quaternary/subset org and maintenance sets. Deferred until tertiary is done, basically a stretch goal and ongoing effort.
5. after completing primary reading backlog, finish book index and evaluate collections for cutdown, 0/7. This will start to move late in the year, but I've done some dabbling around the edges. Ideally I can clear out about 1/7th of my holdings so I can have fewer bookcases.

Posting goals
1. Complete Shockley project by assigned date March 1. Going to write the a final conclusions and policy analysis post in May, along with an expanded bibliography for further reading on the subject.
2. Review books for TBB 10/20. Ahead, in sync.
3. Restart antivaxx bookshelf with Deer book summary. Docketed for May.
4. Continue antivaxx bookshelf with Kennedy book summary. Later in year depending on user interest.
5. 2023 Kellies OP by January 15. Finished initial processing, have some smaller categorization to do here that I still will get done this weekend. Blown, but recoverable. We just gotta get this process locked down so others can do it in the future.

Gaming goals
1. Hitman Freelancer prestiges 6/10. Nearly at the next increment here, but bottom priority.

Lots of stuff on this list will be resolved in the next month- here's hoping!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 30, 2024

Hannot
Nov 29, 2007
Grimey Drawer
1. Increase emergency fund to $10,000. Achieved in March. ~$10,080
2. Reduce private student loan to less than $10,000. ~$15,615(-~$350)
3. Contribute average of $150/month to Roth IRA. +$50, average $237/month.
4. Rollover 401K balance from previous employer. No action.
5. Invest at least $1,000 in S&P 500. $550 invested.
6. Increase net worth by 50%, excluding mortgage/home value if applicable. -.16% this month thanks to investments, ~17% for year
7. Keep grocery/toiletries/beauty spending to an average of $350 or less per month. ~$500, average ~$465
8. Save $3,200 for trip by June 15th. Achieved in February.
9. Save average of $350 per month in house fund. +$600

10. Read 40 books. 6/40
11. Work out 15 times per month. Uh, forgot to track. 8?
12. Practice piano 1.5 hours a week. Terrible.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
April update.

Financial Goals
- Contribute Tax Return or 2k to IRA. Plans changed, going to shuffle the money into house fund and move most of the house fund into a high yield CD.

- Save money for house. -800 from January, that I may just give up on making up. My expenses will be changing radically as I've just moved in with my boyfriend. I'll try to keep my $1000 a month savings plan here, but it may have to go down to 900 or 800. Numbers will definitely be dialed in this May.

- Beg for raise in March. Randomly got one in January. And again in March.

- Solid Contingency Plan. No progress.

Personal Goals
-Make a Cabinet of Curiosity/cull subpar artifacts. Coin collection cuts are going well, and I was able to cash some in for a great coin to add to the collection! As expected trying to sell my excess plastic figures is a mixed bag, but there's a couple other things I can try. Also in light of moving we're gonna garage sale some poo poo to get it gone.

- Play and Beat all DS and 3DS games. No progress.

- Watch all of my Urusei Yatsura blurays. A few episodes farther, still on disc 4 in box one though. Yes this is the same as last month too.

- Play more board games/engage more with people. My eclipse party went great! Too bad the sky was cloudy and we couldn't directly see poo poo.

- Books read. 3/5 still plugging at Journey to the West

- Finish a sketchbook. Don't think I did anything here.

- Get back into jewelry making. Still at the same 10 craft projects complete definitely didn't do poo poo here.

-Travel goals; do a day trip. Nothing.

I just want to get back to some semblance of normal for this month. Been sleeping like poo poo and still dealing with health things on top of it. Plus I don't deal with change well so the move has been stressful. Not proud of this month.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

April Update. Still doing poorly, but I think I've pulled out of the worst of it now.

Financial
  • Keep emergency fund at $1000 - Fund still very low at $135. (+$10 change month-over-month.) Not on pace.

• Get "eventual condo down payment" savings to at least $25k - Fund at $15,500. ($0 month-over-month) Not on pace.

• Get vending machine returns over $600/month - Big $520 total take this month. Best month the machine has had. But on Friday my business parter will be buying me out. He has some other opportunities that will be coming up later this year, but honestly at this point I can have a better ROI taking the money and paying off some of my dumber debts. Not on pace / leaving this goal behind.

• Completely pay off consumer loan - Balance down to $11,600 (once again down $900 month-over-month). Not on pace.

• Max out my work's charity donation matching. - On auto.

Life
  • Get body fat percentage down below 22%, as measured by DXA scan. - Didn't get a DXA scan last month as I was too busy, but planning one for this month. BIA has me averaging 27.9% this month, so at least things are moving in the right direction. Still, gonna have to call this not on pace.

• Average at least 3 workouts a week at my gym. - Got a new coach at my gym and started a new routine, which I've been able to stick to much more effectively. 11 workouts done at the gym this month. Not on pace, but getting closer.

• Get the "1000 Move Goals" cheevo on my Apple Watch (keeping move calorie goal at 1360) - 930/1000. Closed the move ring 7 times this month, and now need to close it 9 times a month every remaining month of the year to hit the goal. This is getting harder and harder as my weight (and thus the number of calories I burn during regular, non-exercise activity) continues to fall. I need to put in more effort to make sure it happens. Not on pace.

• Complete 2 Sections in Duolingo's Spanish course - 101 levels to complete by the Summer Solstice (in 51 days) to properly hit the midway point on this goal. That is keeping with the ~2 levels a day pace I needed to hit last month. This one might just happen. Barely on pace.

• Read >12 books - 1 book read this month, John Higgs's The KLF. This is something I should have read over a decade ago, as it has so many connections to the Discordianism of my youth. It makes for 2 total books read so far this year. Not on pace.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

April update.

2024 Financial Goals
  • Annual budget reassessment
  • Max backdoor Roth IRAs
  • Max HSA - On track
  • Max 401k - On track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s - On track
  • Donate at least $4000 to charity - $210 of $4000
  • Move from Mint to another tracking tool

2024 Personal Goals
  • Read 20 books (1 in Spanish) - 13 of 20 - A couple smaller books but nothing of note.
  • Cardio exercise 120 times - 41 of 120
  • Exercise my core 3x a week - On track
  • Use all of my vacation (256 hours) - 76 of 256
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy - 4 games removed this month. 13 total this year.
  • Donate blood 4 times - 1 of 4
  • Give the kids an experience every month - We saw the total eclipse at my parents' house. Almost 4 minutes of totality in beautiful weather! The kids were excited (and so was I).

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Let's just say I had a bad month.

It started with me getting back from a business trip (plus break of a few days) to receive an email informing me that my side job is over. They said it was because I was available less often, but I don't think that's it. There wasn't that much work anyway and I was one of their most expensive freelancers. So I think they were just looking to dump me, or potentially everyone and have AI do a bad job instead. RIP to what was a great side job over the past seven years. It paid for the new kitchen in my old apt and for a carefree life.
The income I got from that was variable, but was about 500-1300 euros a month. That's a pretty big hit.
I also had to pay for my Mexico flights in December. If I'd known that my income was going to take this hit for the rest of the year, I wouldn't have booked them back in March. I can afford it, but it's not great.
I'm looking for another source of side income, but it's not easy.

All of this caused me a bit of stress, so I stopped working out and reading as much.
I stopped the extra payments into my retirement account and my mortgage principal.

And then the stock market also turned a bit. I'm doing a very simple four fund portfolio, but I feel there's a lot of instability, with pretty big intraday swings.

The good news is that Mexico has been paid for (I still need to pay for the hotel, though), and in May I'll get about 2k extra because of the Dutch vacation allowance scheme, and, inshallah, my 1200 tax refund. But that could also be June.

The (extra) bad new is that it looks like I may be getting into a long distance relationship, so that's another expense.

2024 goals

Financial
- Combined house and emergency fund to €20k
Emergency €10k
House savings €6813.18
House checking €2000
For a total of €18813.18
- €1800 extra mortgage payments
Stopped this, so it's still at €450 total. One month behind plan.
- €200 per month to tax advantaged retirement account
Stopped this, so it's at €600 for the year. One month behind plan.
- Non tax advantaged brokerage account to at least €58k
€48018, down from €48645 due to the market being the market
I didn't put any new money in, though, and I'm still ahead of schedule on this.

House
- Finish the last remaining work from last year's renovation
No progress
- Get a washer and dryer
No progress

Other
- Finish reading 20 books
I dropped Love, Death and Money in the Pays D'Oc by Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie because it's no fun and am now reading The Key Man about a fraudulent hedge fund mogul. Much more fun and I recommend it for BFC goons.
- Finish writing my small breakfast cookbook
No progress.
- Do some exercise every day
There were days I did nothing. I did bike to the office more often. Not all the time, since April had kind of poo poo weather.
- Travel
I've crossed a new country off my list: Latvia. Riga is very different to Vilnius, which I know very well by now.
My budding long distance relationship may have me flying to other European places soon, but let's see how that goes.

Graph time!

(This is just the savings accounts, house checking and brokerage, so stuff I can access without problems)

Still above what I planned, but it's going to be hard to hit my goals for the rest of the year now that my income has gone down by so much

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I definitely wouldn’t sweat intraday equities market moves, especially in a 4 fund portfolio. If it makes you nervous stop lookin at it

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I definitely wouldn’t sweat intraday equities market moves, especially in a 4 fund portfolio. If it makes you nervous stop lookin at it

I knew some one who drove themselves nuts checking their retirement accounts too often and getting very dismayed seeing number go down. So this is sound advice. Heck, I only look at my 401k once or twice a year to get depressed that it's not larger. Just did this last week in fact! I also try to semi ignore the IRA and brokerage on my online banking page as I scroll past to pay bills or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The long-term annual growth rate of the stock market is about 8%. At 250 trading days per year, that translates into a daily growth rate of 0.03%. All the rest of the movement is noise.