Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Aces High posted:

dang, I must've never made a Shepard with the background where your mom's still around, I'm seeing new content for a game I've owned for over a decade

I think Spacer is my favourite background for Shep because it's the only one where their family is still alive. Helps make it feel like they're not just alone in the universe out there in a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

it may just have been that I didn't travel back to the Citadel often enough to unlock that sidequest as well. Until 2020, I just had the trilogy for PS3 and the load times for ME1 are loving atrocious, so after my 3rd Shep, I just tried to avoid as much travel as possible whenever playing ME1. That, and I played a LOT of ME3 MP.

A

LOT

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Aces High posted:

dang, I must've never made a Shepard with the background where your mom's still around, I'm seeing new content for a game I've owned for over a decade

There's nothing big, but I'm definitely running into some ways to resolve quests I've never tried before.

One mod, I'm not sure if it's the LE1 Community patch or the LE1 Diversification project (probably the latter), is moving some of the Citadel NPCs around, like Conrad or Emily. They appear in spots that perhaps make slightly more sense now, it's fun. I can't really get used to seeing the funky hairstyles the Diversification project introduces, though.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tammy sets foot on Noveria, planet of managers and snow. Despite her best efforts, she has to make common cause with some aliens, and takes a trip to the besieged Peak 15 in pursuit of the evil temptress Benezia.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tammy meets the Peak 15 workforce and heads down into the Hot Labs to catch the sexy but evil Benezia.

After editing this, I googled What Is Up With Benezia's Weird Teeth. I kind of wonder if she might've been a character that was designed very early on, which is why she only has a row of bottom teeth and they're gigantic. She has like four teeth total.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Is there anyway to prevent ventralis from killing everyone?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

coleman francis posted:

Beyond "just don't visit the Hot Labs"? No.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

coleman francis posted:

On my first attempt to record Noveria (where I found out I hadn't started my recording software), I misremembered that Benezia IS in the Hot Labs, but by going through the back way, you take a safer route, so I never caused him to kill everyone.

Second time through, I immediately went to the Hot Labs since that's the first thing he suggests, and came back to find everyone dead. It's set up kind of weirdly.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

there is a way to keep Ventralis on your side the whole time, you just have to save the Hot Labs for after you visit Benezia

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
They also make it so that if you DO get everyone on Peak 15 killed 1) it doesn't matter gameplay wise, and 2) you don't feel bad about it because everyone on Peak 15 was an rear end in a top hat involved on bad science poo poo for bad people and they all deserve to die. gently caress Peak 15. All my space racist homies hate Peak 15.

Okay, maybe the Elcor shopkeeper dude. HE didn't deserve to die, but everyone else did.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Fresh from her Noveria adventure, Tammy evaluates the crew, throws The Enemy Of The People a bone, and finishes up her business on the Citadel.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
The Expanse on the History Channel got a big laugh out of me. Thanks for all the extra effort you're putting in to showcase these games.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I saw a show on the history channel that said it was the protheans that built the pyramids at Teotihuacan! It just makes sense!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

coleman francis posted:

I saw a show on the history channel that said it was the protheans that built the pyramids at Teotihuacan! It just makes sense!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

who's the Turian that was staring at nothing? Is that a dig at ignoring Garrus?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Aces High posted:

who's the Turian that was staring at nothing? Is that a dig at ignoring Garrus?

Yeah. I figured it would get annoying to show in the videos, but it's kind of silly when you don't recruit Garrus and return to the Citadel after each mission, and you see him still standing there like a sad sack, hoping you'll cave.

Tammy remembers she should probably check in with that distress call from Admiral Kahoku, and checks with an asteroid that's flying towards a human colony at an alarming speed.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tammy Shepard travels to remote Therum to swallow her pride and recruit the daughter of Benezia. But she's not gonna be happy about it.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Geez, Tom Arnold isn't THAT bad.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

wow, I forgot how much of a wet blanket Kaiden is. Then again, the overarching story of Mass Effect is that "Shepard was right, everyone else is wrong (except in Mass Effect 2 where TIM is also right?!)" and that this isn't a time to be tip-toeing around

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Aces High posted:

wow, I forgot how much of a wet blanket Kaiden is. Then again, the overarching story of Mass Effect is that "Shepard was right, everyone else is wrong (except in Mass Effect 2 where TIM is also right?!)" and that this isn't a time to be tip-toeing around

I've come to appreciate Kaidan a bit more as a guy with a dramatic moment in his past, that came out healthy instead of letting it screw him up. That's unusual in fiction. Though his dialogue is written very tediously with constant bland metaphors and figures of speech. He could use more of an edge.

I'd hoped to get a bit more appreciation for Ashley in this playthrough where I'm hanging out with the two of them constantly, but while I think Ashley's bigoted tendencies get overblown... she's such a drag with the poetry and God stuff, man. :(

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

iirc Kaidan does "harden" if you choose him to be your Virmire survivor, but I've never romanced him before so I didn't realise how comparatively "soft" he is in ME1. Hardness and softness aren't great descriptors, but considering that he is working under a Spectre, he was ground zero at Eden Prime and KNOWS Saren is responsible for all of the things we have accused him of (even going so far as to voice protest while on the Citadel) it almost feels like he was turned into a mouthpiece here instead of continuing being the character he had been and will be.

Granted, I'd probably have to see the alternative responses he has if you aren't full-steam ahead Make Earth Great Again, because these ones just feel like a different person

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Time to clean up all those pesky sidequests left, before Tammy goes to save the universe.

In this compilation, Tammy cleans up some geth bases and some husk-infected outposts, fumbles the two missions you get when you max out your alignment scores, saves some space marines from the Rachni (one of my favorite missions), and hunts down the dregs of Cerberus to avenge admiral Kahoku. Next week, the penultimate video before the endgame.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

when playing through ME1, I never really understand why they decided to make Cerberus such a big organization, one that is capable of bringing Shepard back from the dead and rebuilding the Normandy into a bigger, better version. It's like how every Star Trek series after DS9 took away the wrong message about Section 31

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I like how the games inadvertently(?) show that racists miss out on life and spread misery.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Aces High posted:

when playing through ME1, I never really understand why they decided to make Cerberus such a big organization, one that is capable of bringing Shepard back from the dead and rebuilding the Normandy into a bigger, better version. It's like how every Star Trek series after DS9 took away the wrong message about Section 31

I still think it would've been way better to have the geth rebuild Shepard. At least you can imagine they might have preposterous technology developed in secrecy and isolation.

Time for the big moment: let's hit Virmire.

I mention the Virmire Survivor mod in this video, I haven't actually tried it out myself. I figured it just cut surreptitiously around the deaths of either Ashley or Kaidan, just cutting out moments of dialogue that would affirm either's fate. But then I saw this video last week, that briefly covers the post-mission briefing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr1_YnHUQ-I

The comments say it's done with unused dialogue already present in the game, no voice synthesis, Bioware just decided it sucked out the drama if you could save both. I'm just very tickled by the crew doing the equivalent of "*sudden cut* Brilliant Baldrick, how you pulled that off, I'll never know."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Time to end this little game. Tammy bypasses the Council, heads to Ilos, and chases Saren back to the Citadel for the final confrontation.

And that's it for Mass Effect 1!

Despite the ending message, I don't expect I'll be covering Mass Effect 2. I had fun making these, but I've gotten the impression nobody really liked the gimmick for my Shepard but me. Right now I'm working on an LP of a different game, so if that works out, you'll see it in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your attention, we'll talk later.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I had a great time, as much as some (all) of Tammy's decisions made me wince.

I always love your edits and commentary. "Pathetic" had me cackling.

Thanks for the LP!

...really wish there was a "shoot udina in the face" option at the end.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Thanks for the great LP! It's been a lot of fun seeing this old game from a different perspective.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Sorry for barging into a thread like this to ask a dumb question.

I bought ME:LE shortly before christmas when it was on sale for £5. I played 1+2 to death when they first came out but I was one of those 'No Steam, No sale!' guys and refused to install Origin so ME3 is a bit new to me.

Is there any place online where I can find a guide to what the best weapons for different characters are? It's cool that my Infiltrator can now use assault rifles instead of just SMGs but I want to know what weapons I should be spending my credits on -I don't think I can buy them all.

I'll never waste money on shotguns.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Valko posted:

Sorry for barging into a thread like this to ask a dumb question.

I bought ME:LE shortly before christmas when it was on sale for £5. I played 1+2 to death when they first came out but I was one of those 'No Steam, No sale!' guys and refused to install Origin so ME3 is a bit new to me.

Is there any place online where I can find a guide to what the best weapons for different characters are? It's cool that my Infiltrator can now use assault rifles instead of just SMGs but I want to know what weapons I should be spending my credits on -I don't think I can buy them all.

I'll never waste money on shotguns.

That's a shame. Shotgun infiltrator is hilarious. You know those invisible geth dudes that sneak around your cover and blast you to pieces? That's you now, but better.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

That's a shame. Shotgun infiltrator is hilarious. You know those invisible geth dudes that sneak around your cover and blast you to pieces? That's you now, but better.

There are geth in ME3?

It's been over a decade since I played and i only played through it once.

It's almost like a new game - I don't remember everything but I have a fair idea. It's not like other games from the era like Skyrim/New Vegas - which I have played start to finish several times over. Don't want to spoil anything. Bye thread!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
There's still a good Mass Effect thread going in Games if you're looking for advice:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957741

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

davidspackage posted:

There's still a good Mass Effect thread going in Games if you're looking for advice:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957741

Thanks.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Thanks for the LP. It was cool to see how the LE version looks (complete with mods and stuff)

A pity we won't get to see the continuing adventures of Tammy Shepard. I'd be curious how she's supposed to suddenly be friendly with people she straight up ignored in this game :v:

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
I warmed to the gimmick, it was interesting seeing such a confrontational play through after I tried so hard in my own to speak to everyone and do all of their lame little side quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I might come back to it eventually, but I think I'd play a bit in advance to see if it turns out funny. ME2 specifically feels like a game thst assumes you're already friends with all of these wonderful aliens and will be difficult to roleplay as a bigot. But I do have a bunch of mods for that one as well I'm curious to see in action. We'll see! But again, thanks for watching.