Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fart simpson posted:

i took a flight today. thanks for asking

we didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

fart simpson posted:

it was ok. the first domestic flight ive been on with seat back screens and movies and i watched an indian movie about feminism that was p good. but then we had to take one of those buses from the plane into the airport proper. u win some u lose some

Ugh airport shuttles are the worst.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, I did the same YYZ<->SFO flight pair about 20 times in one year and I knew I had to reconsider my life choices when the flight crew started greeting me by name as I boarded

the most depressing thing ive ever seen, twice, was on united flights where someone gets on the intercom and congratulates Sharon in seat 4B for traveling their millionth mile and asks the cabin to applaud the achievement. then a couple of the crew head over and do small talk with them for 15 minutes or so until its all over

ive "only" been flying once a quarter, but the flights are long and expensive, so ive now ended up banking star alliance gold for a few years as a "perk". but airline status itself is kinda pointless since it only serves to slightly lessen the pain when you're doing something that's fundamentally miserable

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol i loved travelling for work. lounges are great and i enjoy flying

but getting that would fill me with the same sort of inherently wrong grey that i got when i was working retail between layoffs and got a pin for being there for a year lmao

(i had kept working on weekends when i went back to keep the discount)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

mediaphage posted:

lol i loved travelling for work. lounges are great and i enjoy flying

lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

laugh all you want. i grew up in an isolated, rural community. flying was something people on tv did, like getting pizza delivered or going to the mall

never got old for me even if i despise customs

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Progressive JPEG posted:

the most depressing thing ive ever seen, twice, was on united flights where someone gets on the intercom and congratulates Sharon in seat 4B for traveling their millionth mile and asks the cabin to applaud the achievement. then a couple of the crew head over and do small talk with them for 15 minutes or so until its all over

yeah I’m a little over 600K on Air Canada and hope to never make it the rest of the way

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
lounges are great, flying is great when it's not too long, suddenly being in a place far away from where you departed is great

customs sucks, security sucks, sitting in an airport when you're not in a decent lounge sucks

in conclusion air travel is a land of contrasts

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lounges are alright for the free booze but the food is rarely amazing, it's just ok because it's free. theyre often overcrowded during the day in most airports around the world

glorifying business travel is pretty lol though, unless they're flying you around in business class

love being packed like a sardine in economy class to be able to attend meetings in other cities/countries, and then retire for the night eating a dinner that does not exceed the expense cap to then rest my head in the chain hotel that met the company travel expense guidelines to be ready for a mediocre breakfast and then more meetings :hellyeah:

Asymmetric POSTer fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 25, 2024

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

reading a bit into things ain’t ya

i don’t think anyone’s glorifying anything. all i said was that i liked air travel

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

lounges are alright for the free booze but the food is rarely amazing, it's just ok because it's free. theyre often overcrowded during the day in most airports around the world

glorifying business travel is pretty lol though, unless they're flying you around in business class

love being packed like a sardine in economy class to be able to attend meetings in other cities/countries, and then retire for the night eating a dinner that does not exceed the expense cap to then rest my head in the chain hotel that met the company travel expense guidelines to be ready for a mediocre breakfast and then more meetings :hellyeah:

true travelheads know the tips and tricks like eating a way too expensive meal and writing down that u paid the bill for yourself and a coworker or crashing w/ an old friend and buying him something up to the $200 gift expense limit for accommodation gifts in that situation and also taking him and his family out to dinner and pretending they were coworkers. stuff like that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

a sales person taught me that u can go out in a group of like, 4 coworkers or w/e at a trade show and if your expense limit is say, $50 a meal. you can spend $100 each, and everyone writes down on their expense report that u paid the bill for you plus the guy sitting to your right. finance wont cross check to that level of detail

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

a sales person taught me that u can go out in a group of like, 4 coworkers or w/e at a trade show and if your expense limit is say, $50 a meal. you can spend $100 each, and everyone writes down on their expense report that u paid the bill for you plus the guy sitting to your right. finance wont cross check to that level of detail

yeah I did poo poo like that when i worked in a marketing department early in my career and was at a lot of events

my last week on the job before I transferred organizations within the company I ran up a $2000 bar tab in Chicago and bought random people drinks because i knew i would be cross charging the last of my expenses to my old org, so my new boss would approve it and not give a poo poo and the old org would have to pay for it lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yeah I did poo poo like that when i worked in a marketing department early in my career and was at a lot of events

my last week on the job before I transferred organizations within the company I ran up a $2000 bar tab in Chicago and bought random people drinks because i knew i would be cross charging the last of my expenses to my old org, so my new boss would approve it and not give a poo poo and the old org would have to pay for it lol

but that’s stealing. you stole from your company.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

but that’s stealing. you stole from your company.

:hai:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Amazon stole like 700 dollars from me when they decided RTO applied retroactively to expensing home internet and my claim for internet in 2022 was rejected

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

So you didn’t need my permission to steal but you have my support

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
finally got connected to wifi
omw to narita
i am playing crash bandicoot 2 at xxxxxx feet
of all my posts i believe i am most grateful for this one

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hell yeah, a real mile high poster :cheers:

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
one of the old DEC heads at my work was telling me about how they used to have helicopter service to their campus

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
as soon as we took off a bunch of water started leaking from the ceiling, straight into my crotch, tragically soaking my dick and balls
i asked the stewardess about it because i thought maybe someones water bottle was leaking in the overhead
a few hours later a woman in a fancy suit appeared an offered me a coupon for a dry cleaning

this is like my 4th time on a plane ever lol idk what is going on

hell yeah, a real mile high poster :cheers:

:cheers:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

definitely get your dick and balls “dry cleaned” if the airline is paying for it

Boeing?

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

Subjunctive posted:

definitely get your dick and balls “dry cleaned” if the airline is paying for it

Boeing?

oh my god they filled out a combination coupon/incident report and gave me a carbon copy, i am dying of protestant embarrassment i shouldn't have even mentioned the water

ya its boeing lol

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

this mfer getting his dick wet on a plane and complaining about it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it’s probably condensation from the air con, but lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mediaphage posted:

it’s probably condensation from the air con, but lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

:golfclap:

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
hour 6: i'm very bored
is there a project euler thread ?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

well-read undead posted:

this mfer getting his dick wet on a plane and complaining about it

he’s joined the mile high club

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Scud Hansen posted:

do leetcode instead

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Scud Hansen posted:

no but i started going through the project euler problems using blender geometry nodes last year

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

which is the most useless thing a person can do

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

fart simpson posted:

which is the most useless thing a person can do

sounds cool, though

I landed and i'm in osaka after like 2 days of trains [mile 0 posting club?] but i like the theme of the thread being only airplane posts at high altitude so i'll try to post an update after a few weeks when i fly back

I solved a couple project euler problems on the flight but i only got to like #5. weirdly i remembered the first digit of a few of them from doing it like 10 years ago. i thought they were supposed to activate some broader theme if you do enough of them but i never really 'got it'.

euler to me is always going to be a graph theory guy. I got my nephews and nieces really into "how many times can you cross the bridge" at a thanksgiving a few years ago. I hadn't seen the Numberphile video with the Klein bottle guy doing that with pillows and blankets but it was fun to see.

i do not intend to redeem the roughly $14 dry cleaning ticket/incident report for ”スウェウトパンツ”[sic?]

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Scud Hansen posted:

sounds cool, though

I landed and i'm in osaka after like 2 days of trains [mile 0 posting club?] but i like the theme of the thread being only airplane posts at high altitude so i'll try to post an update after a few weeks when i fly back

I solved a couple project euler problems on the flight but i only got to like #5. weirdly i remembered the first digit of a few of them from doing it like 10 years ago. i thought they were supposed to activate some broader theme if you do enough of them but i never really 'got it'.

euler to me is always going to be a graph theory guy. I got my nephews and nieces really into "how many times can you cross the bridge" at a thanksgiving a few years ago. I hadn't seen the Numberphile video with the Klein bottle guy doing that with pillows and blankets but it was fun to see.

i do not intend to redeem the roughly $14 dry cleaning ticket/incident report for ”スウェウトパンツ”[sic?]

heres #5 in geometry nodes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

one kinda neat thing about it is b/c its in blender you can get visualizations for "free" on some of the problems where that makes sense. like #19, which is about counting how many sundays fall on the first day of a month in the 20th century

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

fart simpson posted:

one kinda neat thing about it is b/c its in blender you can get visualizations for "free" on some of the problems where that makes sense. like #19, which is about counting how many sundays fall on the first day of a month in the 20th century

thats cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
returning from narita intl
i'll be passing over the aluetians in about two hours
my grandpa served aboard a destroyer-tender in that area supporting the invasion at Attu
he was half-deaf all the time i knew him from shooting the AA guns

i learned how to politely ask for a refill from a bartender in osaka: 'okawari o negai shimasu'

ADINSX posted:

thats cool
ya it is