Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

must be something a pharmacist came up with while high on their own supply

lol

I mean it’s the only way to do it, anyone who has done any baking knows that a cup of flour is an inadequate way to measure flour compared to weight

although one could argue it could be expressed as weight of drug in weight of fluid but that’s impractical as heck

that’s why eye drops or like morphine juice eg will have 1% and then have w/v or v/v after to specify what the 1% means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Salt Fish posted:

The mega millions jackpot is not one million millions.

it ALWAYS means a million

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

i am reminded of how marie curie was upset that the original value of the Curie, the unit for radioactive emission, would be defined by the radiation emitted by a infinitesimally small amount of radium (radium being extraordinarily radioactive). so she insisted that it be the amount of radiation emitted by one gram of radium instead, an extremely dangerous quantity, and because she was so famous they agreed. so we now commonly speak of fractions of microcuries, and if you ever see a whole Curie you're probably going to die

apparently, at one point she came to north america and brought some of her samples with her. she visited a bunch of places including what was at the time the physics building at a local university (now the science library) to show off various experiments. that was in like the 1910s or 1920s. as might be expected safety precautions when dealing with radioactive stuff were rather lax back then, and in the 1950s someone eventually noticed that the basement of that building where the demonstrations happened still had a surprisingly high concentration of rather exotic and not-entirely-stable isotopes. the real mean stuff had already decayed by that point, but they still didn't take any chances and decontaminated the place

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

lol

I mean it’s the only way to do it, anyone who has done any baking knows that a cup of flour is an inadequate way to measure flour compared to weight

although one could argue it could be expressed as weight of drug in weight of fluid but that’s impractical as heck

that’s why eye drops or like morphine juice eg will have 1% and then have w/v or v/v after to specify what the 1% means

reminder: doctors aren't scientists. they use the accoutrements of science for respectability but they don't necessarily understand why scientists do certain things, or have the grounding to think about it theoretically. your example is probably the result of doctors working out some method based on arithmetic or cooking or whatever and then trying to turn it into a scientific definition.

another example

https://fliptomato.wordpress.com/2007/03/19/medical-researcher-discovers-integration-gets-75-citations/

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 10, 2023

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

otoh, this being the thread it is, i will side with feyerabend and dispute that there's such a thing as science to start with.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
philosophy peaked with diogenes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

reminder: doctors aren't scientists. they use the accoutrements of science for respectability but they don't necessarily understand why scientists do certain things, or have the grounding to think about it theoretically. your example is probably the result of doctors working out some method based on arithmetic or cooking or whatever and then trying to turn it into a scientific definition.

another example

https://fliptomato.wordpress.com/2007/03/19/medical-researcher-discovers-integration-gets-75-citations/

oh yeah for sure. well I mean idk how it is in america but our doctors (all university health professionals) have to do a first year that’s got a bunch of level 100 sciences, o chem, physics, biochem and if someone managed to make it thru that year and not get the scientific method they’d be a magician. or maybe I don’t get what you mean

tbf these things are not revisited and most people forget most things so it doesn’t surprise me if they’ve forgotten enough that it might as well be they didn’t learn it in the first place

here’s a cool thing :

our adrenaline amps come as strengths like 1:1000 or 1:10000

or, and this one I really don’t get, is some concentrations of drugs are given as (for example) oxycodone 5mg/5mL or paracetamol 250mg/5mL

i do not understand that at all, it just adds a step (an opportunity to gently caress up) when working out a dose for a kid for paracetamol for example

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

bytes are an archaic concept anyway. we don't use 8-bit computers anymore so there's no particular reason to group data that way. everything should just be measured in bits.

who’s we?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Salt Fish posted:

Just because you put the letters M-E-G-A into a word doesn't mean its an SI prefix. For example, the megazord is not built out of 1 million other zords.

:golfclap:

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
in the ostensibly very technically accurate novel, “The Martian”, the protagonist has more hydrogen than he needs and is thinking about how to make water. He then fails a high school chemistry problem.

The Martian posted:

Anyway, the reserve oxygen would only be enough to make 100 liters of water (50 liters of [liquid] O2 makes 100 liters of molecules that only have one O each).

Why is he wrong? He’s doing volume calculations without considering density. Mass is conserved in these reactions, volume is not. 100L of water weighs 100kg, of which about 89kg is oxygen. 50L of liquid O2 (1.14 g/ml) weighs about 57kg, so fully reacted with hydrogen it could make up about 64kg of water.

The “factor of two” between O2 and H2O is entirely irrelevant spurious.

Echi’s fellow pharmacists failing to do calculations reminded me of this.

prisoner of waffles fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 11, 2023

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
To take the given numbers, arrange them in what seems to be the most plausible calculation, and get an answer is a true classic of mislearned math (and especially physical calculation) problem solving skills.

prisoner of waffles fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 11, 2023

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

prisoner of waffles posted:

more of a comment than a question, but it does seem as though semantics and pedantry are actually wonderful if you want to confine arguments into ever-smaller and less productive paper bags. Like, a great stance to take if your language game is to nominally agree to play some larger language game, but your actual aim is to frustrate all other players.

It can be used like a fractal when measuring a country's coast. It's like the semantic version of the CC game where you add more and more people to an email chain until all productivity dies, but instead you break down the discussion into an ever-expanding set of sub-arguments until everyone is fed up and you "win".

fart simpson posted:

nope this is just word games. the point is that people have different, fundamental interests that sometimes conflict in irreconcilable ways. in those situations you can’t really “agree” because what’s good for you is not good for me

I mean in good faith the argument I'd make is one of relativist point of views where each actor in a system has a different amount of information they have access to and bounded rationality that means you can't expect full alignment. In bad faith, there's the classic counter-argument that there are some behaviors that should be agreed to as unacceptable. In bad-faith pedantry, you just have to endlessly try to move the argument towards the type of behavior that benefits you the most.

Whether this should be allowed or not is subject to this very argument.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

if you ever see a whole Curie you're probably going to die

as would any white person faced with truly spicy indian curie

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

MononcQc posted:

I mean in good faith the argument I'd make is one of relativist point of views where each actor in a system has a different amount of information they have access to and bounded rationality that means you can't expect full alignment. In bad faith, there's the classic counter-argument that there are some behaviors that should be agreed to as unacceptable. In bad-faith pedantry, you just have to endlessly try to move the argument towards the type of behavior that benefits you the most.

Whether this should be allowed or not is subject to this very argument.

rationality doesnt have much to do with alignment and you cant agree on whats unacceptable if you dont agree in the first place. conflict is part of existence and it sounds like you gotta come back down to earth and open your eyes to see it

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

fart simpson posted:

rationality doesnt have much to do with alignment and you cant agree on whats unacceptable if you dont agree in the first place. conflict is part of existence and it sounds like you gotta come back down to earth and open your eyes to see it

I mean do you frame conflict as a fundamentally permanent irremediable thing, or as a transitory state until parties can find a way to either compromise, realign visions, or repair wrongs, and then move on?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

MononcQc posted:

It can be used like a fractal when measuring a country's coast. It's like the semantic version of the CC game where you add more and more people to an email chain until all productivity dies, but instead you break down the discussion into an ever-expanding set of sub-arguments until everyone is fed up and you "win".

The fractal coastline metaphor is good, but only if you assume that the players of this game aim to get to some kind of success and are broadly aligned about what success means.

In the limit as you add unboundedly many people to such an email chain, all reply-alls eventually converge to one of two stable topics: “please remove me from this list” and “do not reply-all; you cannot be removed because this is not a list”.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

MononcQc posted:

I mean do you frame conflict as a fundamentally permanent irremediable thing, or as a transitory state until parties can find a way to either compromise, realign visions, or repair wrongs, and then move on?

i think everything is transitory in the sense that nothing is static and everything is in a process of change. but there are persistent conflicts with resolutions that can basically just be the destruction of one of both parties in the conflict yeah

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

MononcQc posted:

Well the latter framing definitely fits with the progressive view of history, which has always had a good fit to world affairs in the
medium and long term. Now to take a sip of coffee and wake up from a decades-long coma to check the news…

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

fart simpson posted:

i think everything is transitory in the sense that nothing is static and everything is in a process of change. but there are persistent conflicts with resolutions that can basically just be the destruction of one of both parties in the conflict yeah

Wouldn't that bring us back to the question about whether some elements should be fundamentally possible to agree/disagree on if we are to define which conflicts ought to be persistent or not? I imagine it's sort of related to Scanlon's Contractualism and related thoughts.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what r u guys on about

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

what does "ought to be persistent" mean? im being descriptive not prescriptive

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

fart simpson posted:

what does "ought to be persistent" mean? im being descriptive not prescriptive

we're gonna need more participants in order to increase the usage sample in here

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

echinopsis posted:

what r u guys on about

we're just progressively making more and more obtuse arguments on specific terms while also being very loose with other terms and analogies until the whole discussion is meaningless.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

what r u guys on about

were discussing the best way to do ur mom

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

C++ is technically wrong since the evaluation would just return C and then do the increment

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

echinopsis posted:

oh yeah for sure. well I mean idk how it is in america but our doctors (all university health professionals) have to do a first year that’s got a bunch of level 100 sciences, o chem, physics, biochem and if someone managed to make it thru that year and not get the scientific method they’d be a magician. or maybe I don’t get what you mean

tbf these things are not revisited and most people forget most things so it doesn’t surprise me if they’ve forgotten enough that it might as well be they didn’t learn it in the first place

they're not good at "numbers", which is concerning for people who are trusted with being the filter between evidence and patient.

https://twitter.com/jeremykauffman/status/1733115062477291582

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

echinopsis posted:

it ALWAYS means a million

the megaman march

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I thought I said that it ALWAYS means a million

just coz people can’t use words correctly doesn’t change the meanings of words

words are set in stone

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

I thought I said that it ALWAYS means a million

just coz people can’t use words correctly doesn’t change the meanings of words

words are set in stone

handed down by g*d?

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

echinopsis posted:

words are set in stone

that only applies to words in the bible. it's open season of the rest of 'em

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

well-read undead posted:

theres a lot of words in the bible....

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

fart simpson posted:

theres a lot of words in the bible....

that's true, but not all of them, it may be surprising to learn

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

fart simpson posted:

handed down by g*d?

well-read undead posted:

anyway, here’s wonderwall the King James Bible, with the infallible word of God somehow making it through a number of editors and translators starting at Aramaic? and ending in 17th c. English.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

prisoner of waffles posted:

In the limit as you add unboundedly many people to such an email chain, all reply-alls eventually converge to one of two stable topics: “please remove me from this list” and “do not reply-all; you cannot be removed because this is not a list”.

yospos bithc

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

otoh, this being the thread it is, i will side with feyerabend and dispute that there's such a thing as science to start with.

this one's easy, it's what scientists do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
hmm, I thought feyerabend’s point was that science can’t be constrained to be any fixed, specific method. That’s different from not existing at all or existing as a single articulable system.

“science is more about the notes that you don’t play”