Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

VictualSquid posted:

I once asked the guy at the Turkish market near me for a cheap brand or alternative for saffron to try out saffron rice. He sold me a bag of yellow food coloring.

Imao

it was good enough for child me. what even IS saffron? we just don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
was pointed to this thread after making a post in the food forum

i'm looking for a new musenmai short grain japanese rice for my every day rice driver. i've been using tamanishiki for maybe a decade or more at this point but the bags are up to like $3.5 a lb or more sometimes and i just can't justify the cost.

so i'm hoping to find a comparable musenmai shortgrain rice that isn't $50 for a 15 lb bag

or is that just not attainable anymore?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
We are staying at my SIL’s holiday cottage in the country while our kitchen is enquiring final renovation stages. There is no sieve (!) so I am using the large cafetière to wash the rice

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

dino. posted:

https://zaransaffron.com

The threads are all deep deep dark red in color, and the aroma is intense. Do not leave that stuff on your shelf. Throw it in the freezer, and remove tiny pinches as you like.

Thanks for the recommendation! Placed an order for some of their Persian saffron and it finally got delivered today. Cracked open the tin and wow. Night and day difference in aroma compared to the other stuff.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Tabletops posted:

was pointed to this thread after making a post in the food forum

i'm looking for a new musenmai short grain japanese rice for my every day rice driver. i've been using tamanishiki for maybe a decade or more at this point but the bags are up to like $3.5 a lb or more sometimes and i just can't justify the cost.

so i'm hoping to find a comparable musenmai shortgrain rice that isn't $50 for a 15 lb bag

or is that just not attainable anymore?

So couple of things to know.

Short grain rice is not at all common. In the USA, it accounts for like 1% of rice grown. Globally, it accounts for less than 2% of all annual trade. If you asked me tomorrow to source short grain rice, I'd have a very hard time sourcing it easily for a couple of reasons.

- For one thing, anyone who grows short grain has already got stone clad contracts in place as to whom it's going to. The people who buy short grain rice really really need for it to show up, so they buy the rice before it's grown, and contract the farmer to grow it for them.

- For another thing, In the extremely rare instance where that particular rice mill can't use the short grain they ordered, it would take them seconds to find a buyer for it, because it's something that's terminally out of stock everywhere on the production side.

In general, short grain, regardless of fancy processing, is going to be expensive in general. But now, you add the marketing behind "no wash rice", and the extra processing step, and all of sudden the price is going to shoot right up. Every extra step that has to be done in the rice mill will always add extra money to the final price of the commodity grain, thereby jacking up the price of the packaged goods. The one exception to this is brown rice. Brown rice is significantly cheaper than white rice, because it has way fewer steps for processing. However, brown rice on the grocery store shelf is generally more expensive than white rice, because of consumer perception that the rice is a healthier product, so they're willing to pay for it. Yes, brown rice does have a shorter shelf life, but most rice sellers in the retail level aren't keeping the bags sitting around for a year or more. They usually need more rice every month or so.

Other thing is that your Tamanishiki is a mix of two different premium short grain rices, of which koshihikari is one. Of course that's going to be freaking expensive. Anyone who's watched Iron Chef knows that koshihikari is like crack for all the fans of sushi and the like, for having the perfect texture for it.

Also, are you ordering your rice on the Internet? If so, most of that cost is the shipping, as rice is extremely dense, and moving it around via post is freaking expensive. Your better bet is to see if you can find an Asian grocery shop that carries other brands of musenmai that's cheaper, and see what you can find. To be honest, if you do try any other stuff, you might notice a definite change in texture and flavour, because you've been buying top shelf stuff all this time, and anything less might end up disappointing. Have you tried other lengths of grain for a daily driver, like medium grain? And does it have to the the no rinse stuff?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

So couple of things to know.

Short grain rice is not at all common. In the USA, it accounts for like 1% of rice grown. Globally, it accounts for less than 2% of all annual trade. If you asked me tomorrow to source short grain rice, I'd have a very hard time sourcing it easily for a couple of reasons.

- For one thing, anyone who grows short grain has already got stone clad contracts in place as to whom it's going to. The people who buy short grain rice really really need for it to show up, so they buy the rice before it's grown, and contract the farmer to grow it for them.

- For another thing, In the extremely rare instance where that particular rice mill can't use the short grain they ordered, it would take them seconds to find a buyer for it, because it's something that's terminally out of stock everywhere on the production side.

In general, short grain, regardless of fancy processing, is going to be expensive in general. But now, you add the marketing behind "no wash rice", and the extra processing step, and all of sudden the price is going to shoot right up. Every extra step that has to be done in the rice mill will always add extra money to the final price of the commodity grain, thereby jacking up the price of the packaged goods. The one exception to this is brown rice. Brown rice is significantly cheaper than white rice, because it has way fewer steps for processing. However, brown rice on the grocery store shelf is generally more expensive than white rice, because of consumer perception that the rice is a healthier product, so they're willing to pay for it. Yes, brown rice does have a shorter shelf life, but most rice sellers in the retail level aren't keeping the bags sitting around for a year or more. They usually need more rice every month or so.

Other thing is that your Tamanishiki is a mix of two different premium short grain rices, of which koshihikari is one. Of course that's going to be freaking expensive. Anyone who's watched Iron Chef knows that koshihikari is like crack for all the fans of sushi and the like, for having the perfect texture for it.

Also, are you ordering your rice on the Internet? If so, most of that cost is the shipping, as rice is extremely dense, and moving it around via post is freaking expensive. Your better bet is to see if you can find an Asian grocery shop that carries other brands of musenmai that's cheaper, and see what you can find. To be honest, if you do try any other stuff, you might notice a definite change in texture and flavour, because you've been buying top shelf stuff all this time, and anything less might end up disappointing. Have you tried other lengths of grain for a daily driver, like medium grain? And does it have to the the no rinse stuff?

I do love these rice-fact-bombs that dino drops.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
california koshihikari (tamaki gold in my case) runs me about $45 for 15 pounds even without musenmai treatment, admittedly in the sf bay area where food is pretty expensive.

i'm not a professional rice expert or something but the next step down from a california koshikikari would be calrose. kohuko rose is a pretty common suggestion but i don't think they offer musenmai rice. botan does for sure, and they should be easy to find at any asian supermarket. it's definitely not going to be as pleasant an eating experience as tamanishiki, though.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Those numbers do sell short-grain rice a little short; the thing is, though, primary producer and consumer are both Japan, which has firm trade barriers against import of it combined with being able to ask "delicacy from the old country" prices for exports of it, and the US mass-market standard for East Asian cuisine, as mentioned, is Calrose, which is technically medium grain but on the short enough end to work well for Japanese dishes too.

I've made my peace when I'm in the US with any of the Calroses usually available around here--apart from Botan, Nishiki also does a musenmai--most meals and rotating imports for special occasions.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Rice thread is best thread.

Now do lentils

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Switchback posted:

Rice thread is best thread.

Now do lentils

I’m going to blow your mind: rice with lentils.

(I’d love a lentils thread. I loving love lentils.)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

hi, i was just informed about the existence of "fuzzy logic" rice cookers. i have used rice cookers for many years but they were always the most budget ones around and would like advice on what's good. i would also like to check if im committing some cardinal sins that i should avoid in future

so i typically do my brown rice at a 1-1.5 cup rice water ratio, and i like to cook mince meat with the rice. the water i use is actually chicken stock, adds a lot of flavour. i also line the pot with some soy sauce before putting anything in. when it's done i throw in some egg yolk and leave it on keep warm with all that in there for 5 minutes or so to cook the egg in the rice/meat.

main question is, is this okay or is it a minor miracle that im still alive, and would a cosori rice cooker with fuzzy logic work with this method of rice cooking? i am looking for the best and tastiest but also easiest meal experience

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
fuzzy logic rice cookers are priced significantly higher and are aimed squarely at cultures that eat rice 15 times a week, so east, southeast and south asian peeps. they are superior at rice keeping quality but the actual cooking is basically commodity. with a fuzzy logic machine you can colorably and safely keep your rice for like multiple days in the cooker, eating whatever at mealtimes. there is also less skill required in water ratios with the fuzzy logic machines, it'll give a decent enough result even with too much water, although too little will be a problem.

it is not strictly impossible food safety-wise to do this with rice with meat and eggs in it. sometimes there's an extended warm mode that will keep your rice at like 120f, you can't use that, but keep warm modes keep it at 150f, so that'll be safe. however quality will almost certainly turn to absolute poo poo, especially any egg you add.

east and southeast asian move is almost without exception to not cook anything with the rice, not even salt, and add the soy sauce, salt, broth, egg, whatever after. sometimes you add some kombu, that's it.

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 28, 2024

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

woah so with a fuzzy logic i can keep rice for whenever and only cook it like once every couple days? i’ve had keep warm settings before but they weren’t that good, wild

i’ll just do stuff to go with it in the air fryer

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

if you're cooking calrose or another medium grain, do you want to use the short grain or long grain setting on your rice cooker?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Yeah, fuzzy logic can affect the cooking, but mostly in terms of consistency (in both senses)--it's a vague term for having a variety of sensors and logic rather than just "thermostat has been at X for Y" for the simplest cookers, or "pressure at Z for Y" for slightly more complex, "time to click off" and as mentioned can figure out that pressure rose too fast because it was overwatered and keep things going longer, or adjust the targets for say brown rice or congee or quick-cook modes.

There is takikomi on the Japanese side, cooking in a dashi/soy/mirin mix with relatively tough veg and maybe some meat on top and then stirring at the end. The veg and meat on top is important to keep the rice from being insulated and underdone. There's nothing wrong with this, when you do it you're getting nearly an hour of pressure cooking, and keep-warm modes are based on long-term safe holding temperatures. This will play with expected weight-to-pressure ratios, which doesn't cause issues with the simplest cookers but can with pressure-based ones or fuzzy logic ones without a "mixed" mode.

The traditional way to handle your egg on top is just to crack one over as you serve, but also, this is not necessarily a good idea, keep warm for a few minutes to finish is probably a lot safer.

Extended keep warm will start to be pretty unpalatable after more than a day, especially with mixed ingredients, but at least the Zoji version holds to 140F and should be bacteria-safe indefinitely.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 28, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
really the most important thing about the economics of the rice cooker is the depreciation schedule. if you eat rice 15 times a week, a $350 rice cooker will amortize to about 50 cents per rice meal in the first year as you use it, and the things last about 10-20 years with constant usage. if you eat rice once every two weeks, that schedule goes to poo poo. but if your language counts "rice" as synonymous to "food" as most of east asia and much of southeast asia...

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 28, 2024

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

okay awesome thank you for the info, would the food still be good within that 24hr period? the cosori also keeps it at 60c/140f

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

okay awesome thank you for the info, would the food still be good within that 24hr period? the cosori also keeps it at 60c/140f

"Good" in the sense of "bacteria are killed off", yes. "Good" in the sense of "has an appealing flavor and texture" is more questionable, and really does come down to "what would you think of it held in a chafing dish that long"; the design function for extended keep warm is more "you queued plain rice up to be ready for dinner but then the boss decided it was company barcrawl night, it's still okay enough tomorrow."

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Wouldn’t you just refrigerate and reheat after a full day?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

therattle posted:

nah i dont like reheating food

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

therattle posted:

tastes different, due to resistant starch formation

however this:

nah i dont like reheating food

is a bit ludicrous, lol

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

no i mean that's part of why i don't like reheating food, usually tastes much worse and i've always been taught that many things are bad ideas to reheat and so im generally averse to it.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I have heard and read many different opinions and theories about how long rice lasts in the fridge before it is no longer safe to eat. Would the rice master care to weigh in?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

no i mean that's part of why i don't like reheating food, usually tastes much worse and i've always been taught that many things are bad ideas to reheat and so im generally averse to it.

I think that logic kind of falls apart when you are comparing it to keeping it heated for multiple days.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

david_a posted:

I think that logic kind of falls apart when you are comparing it to keeping it heated for multiple days.

yeah well if it can’t be kept hot for multiple days i’ll just reduce the amount i cook to a normal amount instead of the freak amount i was hoping to do. the rice cooker arrives tomorrow so i look forward to the fuzzy logic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

david_a posted:

You could say it’s…fuzzy logic