Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The point being that one of the most popular choices for out of year release was released this year in every major market that has a large amount of SA users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

understood

everyone got to vote on whatever movie they watched this year regardless of year of release

that doesn't change the official release date of the movie for stats purposes

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not talking about the stats. I've brought it up contextually to the splitting or not of the lists next year.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Thanks ShoogaSlim for running this, was a good exercise to think about what I valued in films and a great way to add to my watchlist!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm not talking about the stats. I've brought it up contextually to the splitting or not of the lists next year.

i suppose i'm not quite picking up what you're putting down

distortion park posted:

Thanks ShoogaSlim for running this, was a good exercise to think about what I valued in films and a great way to add to my watchlist!

my pleasure! it was fun! if it helps people think more about what they watched and provides encouragement/motivation to watch even more, then that's all totally worth it :)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The question becomes more relevant if you're making a 2023-specific list I guess, where having festival release and wide release indifferent years effectively disqualifies a film. Master Gardiner is another one that's technically 2022 but didn't get a proper release till 2023.

Oh, and just to be a little pedantic, "How to blow up a pipeline" is based on a book but definitely not a novel!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Maybe there should be three lists. Movies released this year, movies released in the past, and movies released in the past but only getting a wide release this year. And if you don't have ten good entries for all three lists you get banned.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

josh04 posted:

Oh, and just to be a little pedantic, "How to blow up a pipeline" is based on a book but definitely not a novel!

whoops. fixed it to say "based on books" instead. kotfm is also not a novel.

Gripweed posted:

And if you don't have ten good entries for all three lists you get banned.

:hmmyes:

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Thanks ShoogaSlim, the results posts were brilliantly put together, and it was fun to take part.

When thinking about release years, one thing to bear in mind is that there are still films that aren't released everywhere at once. I'm still waiting for Poor Things to open at my local cinema, but it's probably already hit its high water mark in the 2023 list. I don't have an answer, but you might want to favour flexibility.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I stupidly missed out on this (didn't realise there was a deadline) but am posting my top 10 anyway:

10. Monster
9. Passages
8. The Holdovers
7. Barbie
6. Anatomy of a Fall
5. Past Lives
4. The Eight Mountains
3. All Of Us Strangers
2. Poor Things
1. Zone of Interest

I feel like 10-7 are broadly on a par; then 6-4; then 1-3. It's so hard to separate the top three because they are all brilliant but so, so different to each other.

Honourable Mentions:
Totem
One Fine Morning
Oppenheimer
Fallen Leaves
Perfect Days
Housekeeping for Beginners

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

therattle posted:

I stupidly missed out on this (didn't realise there was a deadline) but am posting my top 10 anyway:

10. Monster
9. Passages
8. The Holdovers
7. Barbie
6. Anatomy of a Fall
5. Past Lives
4. The Eight Mountains
3. All Of Us Strangers
2. Poor Things
1. Zone of Interest

I feel like 10-7 are broadly on a par; then 6-4; then 1-3. It's so hard to separate the top three because they are all brilliant but so, so different to each other.

Honourable Mentions:
Totem
One Fine Morning
Oppenheimer
Fallen Leaves
Perfect Days

It's interesting that Barbie and Oppenheimer both made a lot of lists and didn't top many at all. Might just be because so many people saw them due to all the hype.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Thanks for running this shooga! It was a lot of fun.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Oh crap, I forgot that I saw Barry Lyndon and Embrace of the Serpent this year, which would have really made choosing a list difficult.

distortion park posted:

It's interesting that Barbie and Oppenheimer both made a lot of lists and didn't top many at all. Might just be because so many people saw them due to all the hype.

I think they are great movies in their own ways but they both failed to really move me. I like films that make me feel something.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

distortion park posted:

Oppenheimer was number 4 in this threads final list. So depends on how you define top I guess.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

therattle posted:

10. Monster
9. Passages
8. The Holdovers
7. Barbie
6. Anatomy of a Fall
5. Past Lives
4. The Eight Mountains
3. All Of Us Strangers
2. Poor Things
1. Zone of Interest

Honourable Mentions:
Totem
One Fine Morning
Oppenheimer
Fallen Leaves
Perfect Days

Good stuff. I need to watch Monster still as I’ve enjoyed the 3 other Kore-eda films I’ve seen.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

saladscooper posted:

Thanks for running this shooga! It was a lot of fun.

Heavy_D posted:

Thanks ShoogaSlim, the results posts were brilliantly put together, and it was fun to take part.

When thinking about release years, one thing to bear in mind is that there are still films that aren't released everywhere at once. I'm still waiting for Poor Things to open at my local cinema, but it's probably already hit its high water mark in the 2023 list. I don't have an answer, but you might want to favour flexibility.

glad you guys enjoyed it! it was fun for me to work on everything behind the scenes, and i'm happy to do it again next year :) i had a lot of fun (and sometimes frustration) going from never having used photoshop ever before to learning how to make little squiggly lines go behind the movie titles and such lol.

i think it's safe to say most people are locked in to keeping the rules simply to whatever you watched in a given year regardless of release year. before this thread, i always kept a personal list of best movies limited to the current year, so for this thread next year i will have to rethink whether i want to include first time watches from previous years or even rewatches that i have a new appreciation for (watched phantom thread this year again and somehow found it to be even better than the other times i watched it, just a magnificent movie). even though dungeons and dragons made my top ten from this year, giving myself the flexibility to keep other movies in mind would have absolutely knocked it out of the top ten.

also, if the games thread were limited to only games from the current year, i wouldn't be able to participate. same with the TVIV thread. i don't play that many games or watch that much TV. so i would hate to exclude anyone who wanted to participate here by gating it to current movies.

therattle posted:

I stupidly missed out on this (didn't realise there was a deadline) but am posting my top 10 anyway

ty for coming in and posting your list! lmk if there's something i can do next year to make the deadline more apparent. i will probably keep the OP much more streamlined and try to focus only on the need-to-know stuff.

fun fact: if your list would have been counted, it would have changed the top ten in the following ways:
- past lives and poor things would be tied for number 2
- spiderman down to number 3
- oppenheimer down 1 spot
- barbie up 2 spots
- godzilla down 1 spot
- pipeline up 1 spot
- zone of interest moved up 2 spots
- anatomy of a fall moved up 1 spot
- kotfm still in the lead by 10 points

interesting that people's lists kind of reveal whether they live in a big city or not as i think zone of interest is only playing in a few cities still.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

checkplease posted:

Oppenheimer was number 4 in this threads final list. So depends on how you define top I guess.

i think they mean it wasn't anyone's number 1 pick despite being the two "biggest" movies of the year in terms of word of mouth

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

checkplease posted:

Good stuff. I need to watch Monster still as I’ve enjoyed the 3 other Kore-eda films I’ve seen.

Monster is one of his best, imo. After Broker (while still a good movie) had me like “yeah Kore-eda I get it now” Monster really felt like something new and a big return to form

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Escobarbarian posted:

Monster is one of his best, imo. After Broker (while still a good movie) had me like “yeah Kore-eda I get it now” Monster really felt like something new and a big return to form

I thought Broker was very good but Monster is even better.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Absolutely loved the thread, thank you for organizing it!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Awesome stuff, thanks again! Movies rule oh yes. And this is better than the Oscar, Marty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Appreciate everyone that participated it was a lot of fun!