Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

echinopsis posted:

there was a vibe that it taught bad practices

imo .. people aren’t stupid and can easily change strategy

basic gets the wheels moving

the bad vibes basic taught was that programming couldn't do anything interesting unless you were willing to spend all afternoon on it

qbasic, taking only half an afternoon, was not enough of an improvement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

how many of u mfs cut your teeth on basic

yeah i wrote some basic when i was 8 but didn’t really learn to program until i was 22 or so

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I remember writing a clock program on my C64 that chimed the hours. The problem was that while it was chiming the clock would stop updating (we didn't have threads back then). And then I realized I could make the whole main loop of the program into a subroutine and call it X times in between the chimes to provide the delay. Felt so smart.

And I wrote a video poker game that figured out what hand you were dealt which I was very pleased with. Even drew sprites for the suits.