Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

I've been trying to get the IT helpdesk at work to fix this issue for 2 months now, but I'm getting a bit tired of repeatedly setting up a fresh computer as they keep giving me replacements. Hoping someone recognises this and can give me some clue what's going on...

Problem description: Intermittently (perhaps 1 in 4 times), when I start my laptop, it decides to not recognise my external mouse and keyboard. The pre-windows bitlocker screen is however happy to let me use the external keyboard, which tells me it's something with Windows.

The internal keyboard and trackpad both work fine, as does an external monitor connected via usb-C (although if I connect the mouse and keyboard via the USB-A ports on the monitor, this won't be recognised either).To make the keyboard and mouse work again, I need to restart the computer, but it gets stuck at the windows "just a moment" screen for 5-10 minutes until it gives up and BSODs. Once I'm back in Windows after that, everything's fine for the rest of the day.

Attempted fixes: The IT department has ruled out windows 10 being the issue, by rebuilding my laptop with Windows 11. When the issue came back, I got a new laptop, but it's still there (ruling out a hardware issue)

Recent changes: This happens on a fresh machine where I've installed the bare minimum of apps I need to do my work: Power BI, SQL Server Management Studio, Visual Studio 2022, Redgate SQL prompt, R, RStudio, Git for Windows, PowerToys, Azure storage explorer. Anything else is part of our company's base image, and since the IT guys seem to think I'm the only one affected by this at quite a large company, I assume nothing there causes this (it's mostly just a bunch of MS apps, anyhow).

--

Operating system: Windows 11 currently, but it happened just the same on Windows 10, fully updated, and all Lenovo updates fully updated too.

System specs: Lenovo Thinkpad P1 gen 3

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, but the search terms I have to work with are too generic :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What brand are the external keyboard/mouse? There might be special drivers you can get elsewhere for them.

Or you could try a different brand keyboard/mouse and see if the same thing happens. It could be some strange driver issue.

You could also try deleting the keyboard/mouse drivers from device manager and letting W11 reinstall them.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Zogo posted:

What brand are the external keyboard/mouse? There might be special drivers you can get elsewhere for them.

Or you could try a different brand keyboard/mouse and see if the same thing happens. It could be some strange driver issue.

You could also try deleting the keyboard/mouse drivers from device manager and letting W11 reinstall them.

Hadn't thought of that, but I think I can rule it out already, as this happens both at home and in the office, so it's two different sets of keyboard mouse (logitech/keychron, but previously same issue with steelseries), and standard dell ones at the office.

May as well try deleting the drivers though, seems like too easy to not try! :)