Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Most disappointing:

AI no Idenshi - The Gene of AI
Hikikomari Kyuuketsuki no Monmon - The Vexations of a Shut-In Vampire Princess
Watashi no Oshi wa Akuyaku Reijou - I'm in Love with the Villainess

Of the series I finished, these three were the ones I was most disappointed by. They weren't horrible, just bleah. Mediocre. Bland. Anything I thought would be either outside my interests or truly abysmal I either never tried or only watched one episode.

Now as far as Most Avoided,

How My Life As Inuki-San's Dog isn't winning this one by a country mile confuses the gently caress out of me. I can only presume that not only was it avoided, but most of you had a partial memory edit of your brains to block any memory of the show's existence from your minds. Please tell me where you had it done so I too can have the sweet sweet release of blissful ignorance once more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

KariOhki posted:

Dang what Gust games have you been playing cause all the modern Ateliers are pretty equal in terms of that type of content (except maybe Rorona)

Arland is pretty bad about it whenever Astrid, Estee or Filee show up.

Also yes Ar Tonelico. In like, its entirety.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 5, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ar tonelico's the most extreme but it is also, at least sort of about sexual topics, so it mostly makes a sort of sense and at2's both the best one and didn't really have any of the specific stuff to get uncomfortable with in 1 or 3. otherwise i'd say all gust games are roughly on the same level, with maybe a few slight variations in specific parts of atelier. shout out to judie, the atelier protag whose setting is 99% the same tonally as the previous three atelier protags but whose shirt has a massive belly window for some reason

personally my favorite gust game is the ps2 futuristic racer they made that runs at 8fps and has a ship piloted by characters named Joe and SIN

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

As much as I love the Atelier games I will forever resent their popularity (and AT3 and Nosurge flopping) for killing Ar Tonelico as a franchise

E: Also I'll probate Squark a billion years for the Blue Lock take

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Owlgate 2024

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Blue cock

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

KariOhki posted:

Dang what Gust games have you been playing cause all the modern Ateliers are pretty equal in terms of that type of content (except maybe Rorona)

ryza 2 is a 180 on this position and is pretty annoying about it. they added rain weather that plays every other day and gives ryza a "wet" model and any time ryza has to crawl through a hole in dungeons the camera makes sure to make things uncomfortable for the next 10 seconds

here's praying the next trilogy remembers what's fun about atelier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Worst

1. B-PROJECT: Netsuretsu*Love Call - I can't find much venom in calling this the worst, but it ultimately is. A third season in a series that started out fairly good but already had a drop-off in S2, it would've been smarter to avoid this. Instead this season treats you to a mind-numbing 12 episodes largely about the bureaucratic drama of Gandhara Music as they make a big promotional push for the B-Pro units. While S1 could function with these thin characters due to strong episodic antics like cooking contests, finding possessed swords, or head trauma-induced age regression, these had already fallen by the wayside in most of S2 where they thought adding 4 more idols was necessary. The Youtuber duo added this season bring their own mundane drama about leaks, flaming, and insecurity next to idol-rear end idols etc. It's all very real, but without similarly real characters to back it, there's no oomph. It just becomes a badly animated and acted pantomime of things you already know about the entertainment industry.

2. 16bit Sensation - Another Layer - To some degree, my dislike of this was sealed with the decision to break from the original manga's more biographical/informational tone. I was more curious about industry anecdotes or at least production trivia more complex than loving dithering. Konoha as a lead takes up a significant remainder of my negative feelings, as she is a frustratingly dense "superfan" of these games that still seems to need basic facts/concepts she should know explained to her. It's as if she were an audience insert for the informational series this might've been if they stuck closer to source, yet they didn't revise this when deciding to go full VN-riff insane instead. There's a brief reprieve from all of this as they just sit down and make a game and Mamoru ends up on his own VN adventure, but the closing arc in AI apocalypse 2023 again brings it down. And while I can't fully blame the show bc capitalist reality, the use of licensed Aniplex poo poo in this series was also incredibly annoying. The least Konoha could do to be more appealing is not advertise their lovely gachas.

3. X&Y (Aiyou de Mishi) - The idea of an escape room horror/revenge story is pretty appealing, and this kinda hits if you have any nostalgia for the era of browser-based room escapes that often used similar CG graphics. Unfortunately the 16-episode run only features a couple escape rooms of any intricacy and is otherwise not particularly good at even establishing what its mystery is, let alone solving that with any speed. I'm still split on the ending, probably because it has to fly in with such abruptness that it's hard to find satisfying.

Dishonorable mentions: Kingdoms of Ruin, Magical Destroyers, Gundam Build Metaverse

Avoided

I suppose I have a few for this, though I generally think it's a boring concept.

1. Helck - Not a superfan of the source material but it's a fine shonen. Immediately obvious this would not be a strong adaptation so why bother?
2. Mashle - I read about 40 chapters of this and thought it sucked. The anime probably gives it half decent action and an art upgrade but with the lame characters and humor it's an easy pass.
3. My Home Hero - The early material this season adapts was enjoyable in the comic, but again this was an obviously cheap adaptation that seemed better off ignoring.