Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
spooky pictures is the fake one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
is Motel Hell worth watching, or is it one of those situations where the only thing that's really notable about it is the thing that everybody knows about it (⛓🪚🐷)?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Pac and Cheese posted:

second off even if you don't want to watch late night with the devil i'm going to subject you to this anyway (it was so bad i had to cut it in half to upload it)

https://i.imgur.com/L9uPkHh.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/i2DF8qD.mp4

lol drat

I think the version I saw only had like two of those :filez:

the opening documentary stuff and the black and white footage during commercial breaks felt like attempts to pad what should have been a 45-50 minute short to feature length, I guess two minutes of company logos helps too

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Pac and Cheese posted:

second off even if you don't want to watch late night with the devil i'm going to subject you to this anyway (it was so bad i had to cut it in half to upload it)

https://i.imgur.com/L9uPkHh.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/i2DF8qD.mp4

lol that’s as bad as I’ve ever seen

Each studio must have put in twelve cents and a day of staff catering

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

30 minute movie and it's all Production Company "sizzle reels".

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Lmao I was like "oh this stop motion is kinda cool, I may actually wat....oh it's another loving studio splash" lmao

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

free hubcaps posted:

Lmao I was like "oh this stop motion is kinda cool, I may actually wat....oh it's another loving studio splash" lmao

Even FAMILY GUY can be correct on occasion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI7JDTlixb8&t=32s
(32sec if the timestamp is hosed)

SeenYourPoopypants
Mar 10, 2024
The Mighty Boosh guys sure are flourishing, with Noel Fielding getting his own show with The Completely Made Up Adventures of Dick Turpin.
Julian Barratt is doing well too, appearing as an auxiliary character in the fantastic smash hit television show Knuckles.

Knuckles is great, the ghost of Christopher Lloyd appears and tells Knuckles he has to help a guy win a bowling tournament. Its AMAZING!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I did not, no.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

saw some movies this weekend. The Good Frog was solid. I Was Pissy Today was boring but had some good laughs

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You messed up an uploaded the part of the movie you fast forward through.

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.
i have now watched both Late Night With the Devil and the episode Half in the Bag where Mike and Jay talk about it

over all, i really enjoyed the movie. the "behind the scenes" stuff does break verisimilitude a bit, but no so much that it took me out of the movie. it was the same with the documentary aspect that kind of gets abandoned. a part of me wonders if it wouldn't have a quick scene where Ironsides narrator describes the aftermath and maybe toss in a line about how even through all this, Carson still beat their ratings. i understand the decision not to though, since a good chunk of the climax is entirely Delroys internal experience, it really could have undermined the tone they were trying for.

the performances are good. David Dastmalchian has been good in everything i've seen him in. the creepy little girl is decent at being a creepy little girl. Jay complained about the skeptic, but i recognised the character as being based on James Randi, who was something of a showman. the performance is a little hammy, but there's also a difference between the way the character acts when the cameras are rolling and when they're doing the back-stage scenes. i think having the character hamming it up for the cameras and studio audience works fine.

ultimately, the only thing that didn't work for me was the laser ghost. it really seems like a less-is-more situation. creepy girl with her pazuzu face, shot with lot's of tape glitches, weird angles from abandoned or toppled cameras, and more mundane forms of chaos like the crew and audience fleeing or dying, lightbulbs bursting or whatever. would have kept closer to the rest of the movie in tone, as well allowing the last scene before we go into main characters head to have more direct continuity with the final scene where the movie ostensibly comes back to reality.

overall, i think it is a very good movie. not perfect by any means, but still enjoyable.

one thing i am confused by, but it actually has nothing to do with the movie itself, is the reaction to the number of production companies involved. i have no particular enthusiasm for watching the logos, but i know making real movies is pretty damned expensive and i don't find it the least bit surprising that it's easier to secure relatively small amounts from multiple backers than a large amount from just one or two. seems like an inevitability for any independent movie with aspirations to being and actual movie, even if a low budget one, and i'm surprised anyone finds it noteworthy.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I would simply invest in a film without insisting on a stupid vanity card for my fake production company

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.
but you aren't the type of person who actually invests in films

also the companies actually do exist, even if they're only created to make that one movie and then get shut down. i've actually dealt with a couple through work.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Movie idea: 90 minute story told exclusively through production company logos.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Movies should not be an investment. They should be paid for by diverting 100% of global military and paramilitary spending into the production of movies. Conflicts will be settled with filmmaking competitions, giving us world peace and a ton of really aggressive movies.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Working hard on my "ORION FILM STUDIOS PRODUCTION" sizzle reel

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I prefer the Pakistan - India border military dance off they do, but a movie competition sounds like a good idea too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Khanstant posted:

Movies should not be an investment. They should be paid for by diverting 100% of global military and paramilitary spending into the production of movies. Conflicts will be settled with filmmaking competitions, giving us world peace and a ton of really aggressive movies.

An international 48 hour film festival to settle disputes. Imagine your city getting annexed because the drunk midwesterners enlisted for the job couldn’t help but talk in obnoxious old-timey poo poo