Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

11) Astlibra Revision (Hell difficulty, true ending, all items and gear)

very cool 2D action RPG, appreciate the rec from EE. I really liked how the system rewarded perseverance in finding secrets and using all the gear you find, in that you get new permanent abilities when you master any individual gear piece. the grow/karon/libra/possession systems all add a ton of depth and being able to respec at any time gives you a lot of creativity in how you want to approach a situation. the combat flows really well and good use of possessions for invincibility is very rewarding.

I ended up turning Berserker on right after Agni and basically never turning it off again (except for All Stars) just because on Hell difficulty, everything has so much hp and does so much damage that I felt more like dying ten (or 30) times quickly and downing bosses fast than going slowly. bleed sucks to deal with when any damage kills you, since it makes possessing or backstepping through bleed attacks unsafe. towards the end of the game it gets very visually noisy, and a lot of boss attacks aren't necessary signaled well unless you have their patterns memorized (looking at levin in the party of braves in particular), which got frustrating in places; you also can't safely use some of the endgame possessions because they fill up the screen too much or leave you in a vulnerable position.

even with all those complaints though the combat was thrilling and felt great to do right. the drip feed of new combat techniques in hidden chests would have been annoying in any other game but felt awesome here, though I wish there was a little more control differentiation in some of the moves (for instance, accidentally activating zero g when trying to armor slash)

I think a lot of the female characters in the game must have had really sore boobs, they way they bounced around all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

summoning a dragon god to flood the screen with lightning every 8 seconds is cool and more games should do that

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Good soup! posted:

11. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PCE), 4/20

Went back to the PCE-CD version just to compare a few things with the remake and remembered how much this game loving owns. sat down and spent the early afternoon beating it and rescuing everyone. Only missed one alternate stage because I couldn't remember how the hell to find it, but I think it unlocks when you beat Dracula???? Not sure, had a blast either way and this is tied with Super Castlevania as the best Classicvania imo

Game has the best balance of frustration vs the feeling of overcoming that frustration. Can always ezmode maria for a much different feeling adventure.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Arch Nemesis posted:

(looking at levin in the party of braves in particular),

Thank you for spoiling this. Would be devastating for newbs to know

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Agreed.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

feeling devastated? :D

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Astlibra looks so sick. It's been on my wishlist forever but whenever it's on sale I'm already into a big game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Astlibra looks so sick. It's been on my wishlist forever but whenever it's on sale I'm already into a big game

I got it on sale a while back but I’ve always got other poo poo going on lol. I will play it someday tho

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

11) Free Stars: The Ur-Quan Masters

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Murders on the Yangtze River

Not all that great of a mystery game but still a cool piece of historical fiction from a different perspective, so I enjoyed it.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
13. Ghostbusters for the Playstation 3 (Experienced, All Upgrades)

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

12) Night in the Woods

friend gifted this one to me. wasn't sold on it at first but it won me over. cute mumblecore-y visual novel about a girl who quit college for unclear reasons to move back home to her parents' place in the sticks. takes an unexpected horror twist. cool stuff here about life, obligation, friendship, hardship and compassion. good music, and I really appreciated how the creators managed to make the town live with little touches that feel familiar to anyone who's lived in a small town. it's funny in places and made me cry once unexpectedly when the main character takes a nap, probably mostly for girl-poo poo enjoyers but idk. it's good.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Arch Nemesis posted:

12) Night in the Woods

friend gifted this one to me. wasn't sold on it at first but it won me over. cute mumblecore-y visual novel about a girl who quit college for unclear reasons to move back home to her parents' place in the sticks. takes an unexpected horror twist. cool stuff here about life, obligation, friendship, hardship and compassion. good music, and I really appreciated how the creators managed to make the town live with little touches that feel familiar to anyone who's lived in a small town. it's funny in places and made me cry once unexpectedly when the main character takes a nap, probably mostly for girl-poo poo enjoyers but idk. it's good.

Night in the Woods kicks rear end. Perfectly encapsulates the failson/daughter returning home from college for the first time. I didn't really like how the horror elements paid off, but it's still good. Worth a play for sure

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arch Nemesis posted:

12) Night in the Woods

i've spent nearly all my life in borderline rust belt and NitW hits rather close to home because of that, there's a lot of towns even around here that've been just been relegated to slowly dying for decades as people move away and the people left just make do with what they have while trying to keep a cheerful face. it captures that experience very well, great little coming-of-age story even if the horror stuff kinda blindsided me in a way i'm not quite sure ever meshed fully with the rest of it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

WADs - The Troopers' Playground (9 levels for Doom II, 1996). Woof. Decent enough boxy 90s doom design but good Lord is the combat lovely in this. Every level has 100 hitscanners and no armor, I think it was designed for continuous play bc the entire set has only 2 rocket launchers and 1 plasma gun, so I was basically stuck with the shotgun and chaingun for 90% of the runtime. Ends with a classically dog poo poo icon of sin map. To top it all off it features a new enemy that is a recolored Evil Doomguy who fires 3 chainguns at once at 4x speed so you get instsntly deleted if you see them and don't sprint for the nearest doorframe.

Got through this on switch with copious quick saving + Door Based Combat. If played on PC and not pistol starting, I think it would be a decent experience for a 90s wad. MAP05 and 06 were the highlight.

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

1. robocop: rogue city
2. trepang2
3. halo: reach
4. final fantasy 7 remake intergrade
5. long gone days
6. command & conquer: renegade
7. hypnospace outlaw
8. party hard

one of those games where watching the chaos you create is more entertaining than actually doing anything. good soundtrack. at some point i bought the second one so i guess i'll give it a whirl sometime.

thanks to dendy, for good sig

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

12. Lufia: The Fortress of Doom (SNES), 4/26

I'm legitimately impressed by this lol. At first glance, it looks like one of those super dated early SNES jrpgs that you know may have been big at the time but is wack now, and it is in some ways. The menus SUCK lol they loving suck rear end in a weird way, the game feels dated but nothing like the menu which you navigate like some early RPG before they figured this poo poo out. Imo I felt like around this time they were still toying with some things but there were some conventions in menu design getting established. The loving spell names are silly rear end nonsense, poo poo like "DEAD" or whatever being the revive spell lmao. They also have an annoyingly small cap on your inventory, Taito what the hell dudes what's wrong with your brains,

The walk speed is straight up trolling you the entire time, you move extra slow in dungeons but sprint like your loving on drugs in towns, it's ridiculous

The music is a flawed mixed bag of songs that are sometimes just a mess of instruments, the battle theme is weird but not in a brutally terrible way like Chrono Cross

Still, the story ends up working because it has an odd level of ambition running through it?? Idk it's not just the cool intro (for the time!) where you see the previous heroes win, there's some other stuff too. The male/female leads are already established as just straight up in love versus some dumb will they/won't they dynamic that a ton of jrpgs have. The script is, again, for the time, pretty good with a bunch of humor and character interactions that end up giving it a deceptive amount of a personality

the ending was the most ambitious part, it aims for a solid, bittersweet ending with a payoff that isnt insulting or stupid rear end poo poo, and it actually sticks the landing??? Again, purely for the era, it's a cool way to see why it (reportedly) sold as well as it did and got a sequel/prequel that improved on everything and is one of the best on a system that has loving chrono trigger on it and I think that's impressive

You know what's not impressive though, the loving random encounter rate almost gave me a stroke several times at first so I buckled a did most of it fast forward and I regret nothing, and it also explains the long rear end play time. though I'm sure if I'm playing it straight I'd have a much lower opinion so I guess that means I have no credibility, drat

E: lmao just remembered that the villain in Lufia 2 calls your party little hoochees

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 27, 2024

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

botw, kicked ganons pansy rear end. still short 2 memories though, hope link enjoys going through life never truly knowing who he is

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
6. A Short Hike

twee indie game of the Detective Frog/Little Party variety
low poly 3d, bright colors, simple textures, affectedly crunchy rendering, tons of conversational dialogue, quirky characters, open play but linear progression, ain't no point to the game
don't me wrong, love that poo poo. it's like if instead of creating an Important Experience walking sims just wanted to hang out for a bit

but also an unexpectedly great 3d platformer, drat
really, really solid movement controls, to the point that I suspect this was done Nintendo method, where they start by focusing on making the movement fun with no assets, just honing it and honing it until it feels as good as it possibly can, then build the rest of the game on top of that. hopping around, running, gliding, climbing all feel great
and it's a collectathon in that way where it's tied in closely to making it fun to explore every nook and cranny- finding a new area gets you a couple coins, and getting the coins helps you remember where you've already been, and you find power-ups and use things you collect to buy stuff so you can do more stuff and get to more areas. there's minigames, you get rewards for doing well at the minigames, there's little worried critters you can help out. that kind of poo poo

unique blend, good way to while away a lazy afternoon or game with your s.o., I assume

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cubone posted:

6. A Short Hike

twee indie game of the Detective Frog/Little Party variety
low poly 3d, bright colors, simple textures, affectedly crunchy rendering, tons of conversational dialogue, quirky characters, open play but linear progression, ain't no point to the game
don't me wrong, love that poo poo. it's like if instead of creating an Important Experience walking sims just wanted to hang out for a bit

but also an unexpectedly great 3d platformer, drat
really, really solid movement controls, to the point that I suspect this was done Nintendo method, where they start by focusing on making the movement fun with no assets, just honing it and honing it until it feels as good as it possibly can, then build the rest of the game on top of that. hopping around, running, gliding, climbing all feel great
and it's a collectathon in that way where it's tied in closely to making it fun to explore every nook and cranny- finding a new area gets you a couple coins, and getting the coins helps you remember where you've already been, and you find power-ups and use things you collect to buy stuff so you can do more stuff and get to more areas. there's minigames, you get rewards for doing well at the minigames, there's little worried critters you can help out. that kind of poo poo

unique blend, good way to while away a lazy afternoon or game with your s.o., I assume

I enjoyed it quite a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. All world intel completed, all side quests done except for the one you unlock by finishing all the others which was just a bunch of minigame challenges when I had already played all the minigames as much as I wanted to, Queen's Blood champion. Incredible game, the combat is largely the same as Remake's, which was great, but with some relatively small iterative improvements (like the synergy abilities that let you launch a special move with two characters if you've used several ATB actions with each) that makes this game a clear improvement. They also made Aerith pretty fun to play and I probably spent most of my game time as her, which surprised me since she was easily the most boring character to play in Remake.

Like Remake, it hugely expands the original 1997 game but still feels true to it, which is a remarkable feat considering that I spent about 3 times as long in this middle part of a trilogy than I did in the entire original game. The characters are all super endearing and I love them all more now than I did in the original, and the original is one of my favorite parties in gaming. It takes smaller moments from the first game and makes them into big memorable setpieces and full storylines, and introduces entirely new things like the Queen's Blood game and story that's all great.

Like Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom, this game makes its predecessor that I loved kind of look like a piece of poo poo in retrospect lol. I wish I had replayed '97 and Remake before playing this because it's only been two years and apparently that's enough time to forget a lot of stuff from both, but I guess it's for the best to save it for an epic 200 hour marathon before part three comes out. Really excited to see how they close out the trilogy and bring it all home.