Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Problem description: Windows won't boot. Sometimes it hangs on a back screen, sometimes I get a blank blue screen and then my computer powers off, and sometimes I get error 0xc0000225

Attempted fixes: created a USB Windows repair tool with another computer but that just brings me to the blank ble screen and power off. Changed a bunch of setting in the BIOS as per Asus/googling other people's fixes, such as getting rid of security, disabling fast boot, and enabling CSM, none of which worked. Saw others have success with updating their BIOS, so I tried to do that- was not able to update anything except from 1404 to 1405, otherwise the BIOS does not recognize it as a valid BIOS. I have triple checked and I am using the appropriate BIOS, ASUS TUF X540 Plus with WiFi. I have also tried putting the USB stick in different USB ports to no success.

So I thought maybe it was the USB update process and I went out and bought dual layer DVDs and put the windows.iso image onto the disk, verified it, and booted from disk drive. All this did was take me back to the blue screen and power off.

I have also tried resetting the motherboard and removing the battery. I have tried removing the M2 drive, and even went so far as trying to boot on one, and then no SATA drives at all, just the DVD player, and it still just blue screened.

Recent changes: Playing Diablo 4 and the computer froze and shut off. Then this. I checked and there is a bug some people have encountered that corrupted their boot files but they were actually able to fix them using system repair.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64 bit

System specs: ASUS TUF X540 Plus (WiFi), Ryzen 3600X, 2070 Super, PSU is a Seasonic SSR-550RM

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd disconnect everything except the OS drive and see if it acts any differently (not 100% sure if you've attempted this or not). Try to get into safe mode if possible.

I'm assuming the OS is on the M.2 drive.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Yep, it's on the M2 drive, and I did. It goes straight to a Windows message that "a recent hardware or software change has made Windows fail" or that a required file is missing or contains errors, and in both cases tells me to use Instalation media to fix.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd probably connect the drive to another machine and just copy all the important data off of it and then reformat it. But you may not have the means to do that right now.

But maybe someone else has another idea.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Would that be any different then when I tried booting from my SATA drive after removing my M2 drive?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yawgmoft posted:

Would that be any different then when I tried booting from my SATA drive after removing my M2 drive?

I don't know the exact process you tried there. Did you try to install W10 onto a SATA drive and it didn't let you?

Another thing you could try would be to disconnect all the drives and just attempt a boot from a USB with Linux installed on it. That'd narrow the issue down more.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
So to put it very plainly:

Your computer bluescreens when you boot to the windows 10 DVD you burned, even with NO drives attached (other than the DVD drive)? It also bluescreens when you boot to the Windows 10 USB drive you made earlier?

If so it could be several things: CPU, RAM, BIOS, motherboard. Check the ram first by removing all sticks but one and trying again. After that it gets to the cpu and bios which is dangerous territory.

The inability to update the bios *kinda* tracks, there are major updates that require you to use the bios recovery process, and don't work in the menu based flash systems. I don't know why this happens, just that it does.

THIS COULD BRICK YOUR BOARD:

Try grabbing the LATEST BIOS and perform a bios recovery according to the manual. I think the usual method is format a (smallish) usb flash drive to fat32, unzip the cap file, copy the cap file to the usb, rename the cap file to TGX570PW.CAP (uppercase doesn't matter but i do it anyway), stick the flash drive in the blue USB port (any one of em) and power it on. Your computer SHOULD detect the filename on the flash drive, figure out that it's supposed to recover itself and then do it thusly. It may or may not reboot quite a few times, or it may power off completely.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Tried out both of your suggestions, and unfortunately nothing got me back up and running. Decided this level of effort wasn't worth it for five year old parts and bought a new MB/CPU/RAM, dvd immediately kicked in and fixed the boot files.

:shrug: thank you for your help everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
That's a solution as well, for real. Goons: money can solve a lot of problems. Maybe mention if you're flush at the moment or in general.

Welcome to the future where everything is only slightly faster but you spent 600 on it.

Send me the board lol I bet I'll fix it