Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

that’s not how gripweed works. You need to figure it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
How do I gift Plat to someone if I cannot message them with the code because they don't have Plat?

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Gaius Marius posted:

Did you like Bones and All that much?

Yes, got the Blu-Ray recently but didn't have time to watch it again before seeing Challengers. I did however watch A Bigger Splash and Call Me By Your Name and I enjoyed both of those.

Luca really does like his movies to be 1.85 and 2hrs20m long.

therattle posted:

How do I gift Plat to someone if I cannot message them with the code because they don't have Plat?

Ask an admin to email them?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

that’s not how gripweed works. You need to figure it out

Gripweed posted:

Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Freedom. It’s doing super limited one day showings outside of Japan.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

therattle posted:

Carrier pigeon.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Man, Sidney Poitier was good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched A Piece of the Action. Pretty good! It felt like a very intentional attempt to make a blaxploitation movie without the exploitation. It’s very socially conscious in an afternoon special way, but that gets livened up with the occasional small heist. And the best monologue goes to one of the students who yells at their teacher for being middle class until she breaks down in tears. Poitier is, as always, excellent, and has good chemistry with his co-star. Who is, unfortunately, Bill Cosby.

But if you can get past that it’s a fun little time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You haven’t seen his anime poster posts then lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m not being mean I’m just being silly. I can’t read Japanese so half the time it’s just a mystery as to what they are lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol I know I just thought it was funny he answered my question right before u posted

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He owned me

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CelticPredator posted:

I’m not being mean I’m just being silly. I can’t read Japanese so half the time it’s just a mystery as to what they are lol

I can't read Japanese either, but you can still easily figure out what the poster is for if you can simply recognize different Kamen Riders by sight.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gripweed posted:

I can't read Japanese either,

This has me shook

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Baron von Eevl posted:

This has me shook

I mean, I can sound out katakana. But I know like maybe 20 kanji. And half of those are just 1-10

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Gripweed posted:

Man, Sidney Poitier was good.

"Sidney-kun stop it it tickles hehehehe ooooooooooooooooooaaahhh god"

- Code Geass Desk-chan

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gripweed posted:

I can't read Japanese either, but you can still easily figure out what the poster is for if you can simply recognize different Kamen Riders by sight.

Kamen Rider has been going downhill since the 70s with the exception of the 90s were-insect Shin Kamen Rider which ruled.

Still haven't seen the new Shin Kamen Rider but it looks like it borrows a lot from the golden age of the 70s.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The watchers looks good as hell. Wish my dad was M Night

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

https://twitter.com/umedachanka/status/1784241599045603659

Anime fans are a 'new type' alright.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

FreudianSlippers posted:

Kamen Rider has been going downhill since the 70s with the exception of the 90s were-insect Shin Kamen Rider which ruled.

Still haven't seen the new Shin Kamen Rider but it looks like it borrows a lot from the golden age of the 70s.

Kamen Rider Build was extremely good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It’s horrible that that happened to them but do keep it in context; European countries are very small. Like, if you live in Dallas, the journey to Houston is significantly longer than most Europeans have to travel to get to another country.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

There are plenty of great modern kamen riders, like Black Sun, where the thesis was “shinzo abe getting got with the contraption whipped rear end and should happen more”

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Traveling through Europe: I shall simply purchase a train ticket to my destination

Traveling through America: Well, I consulted with the three-eyed crone and she said "Best ye not speed through Seguin, lest it be the last place ye are seen" so I guess we need to look out for speed traps after we get through San Antonio.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

It’s horrible that that happened to them but do keep it in context; European countries are very small. Like, if you live in Dallas, the journey to Houston is significantly longer than most Europeans have to travel to get to another country.

But also, if it's just one night, you can generally just give the cats more food before you leave.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
But also, it sucks to plan for a trip and then the trip gets you gently caress all and you have to go back with all that effort gone to waste. You guys really should stop waving your dicks around because your trips take more effort.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Europe is the size of a stamp but has ~700 million people.

America is an entire continent but is mostly empty because it only has ~300 million people (outside of the East Coast which has a similar density to Europe because its Old).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This is literally what a college friend pulled during another friends wedding. Drove from Indianapolis to Pittsburgh then left basically right after the toasts because he need to drive home to let his dog out

(although come to think of it, he is a pretty big anime fan too, tho the incident didn't directly involve anime that I know of)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sorta reminds me of a story told by Swedish director David Sandberg (Annabelle: Creation, Lights Out, Shazam) about how when he was starting out he had some animated short film in the Trollhättan Film Festival and didn't expect to win anything so he didn't book a hotel but instead booked a night train ticket home to Stockholm very shortly after the festival ended. But then his short won several awards so he had to hastily accept them, stuff them into his luggage, and then literally run to the train.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It’s kinda wild that Harry Belafonte co-starred with Sidney Poitier in two movies, and in both of them he played gross little guys.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched Uptown Saturday night. Not bad! It does feel like 15 minutes too long, and definitely should have worked Richard Pryor's character into the plot more than just that one scene. But, of course, Sidney Poitier is great in it. You're so used to him playing a guy whose calm and in control, seeing him play a nervous guy way over his head was a lot of fun. And there were some solid jokes. I especially liked the one about the mayor who, when he heard he had voters coming to speak to him, changed out of his suit jacket for a dashiki and flipped around his portrait of Richard Nixon to a portrait of Malcom X. Good bit!

I'm almost done with the 15 DVDs I got for five dollars from the pawn shop, and it's genuinely annoying that so far by a pretty good margin the best one was the double pack of Sidney Poitier/Bill Cosby movies I got because I thought it was funny.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You gotta watch his Western, BUCK AND THE PREACHER, though I guess that may be what you were referring to in the other post.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watched Mr. Bricks: A Heavy Metal Murder Musical. Admirable low budget attempt at a heavy metal musical, but I'm not sure you can do a heavy metal musical successfully. Repoman the Genetic Opera tries it with industrial music and at least has a couple of catchy tunes (A little glass vial!) but they're still at their core showtunes with NIN production. Doesn't help that the lyrics are laughably awful.

Also, Life Itself and teared up a bit. It's a very optimistic film about Roger Ebert's life, but man it's hard to read between the lines of his last days and see how much of a struggle it was for him and everyone else. Brave and wonderful face, but boy he deserved better.

& Joy Ride, a road movie with Dana Gould and Bobcat Goldthwait. Perfect road movie, they're both entertaining as heck. Bobcat is that wonderful flavor of celebrity where he doesn't care much about burning bridges, and that's great.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Repo! Was a nu metal musical. Successful sorta depends on how much you enjoy nu metal. I did not have a fun time but the girl I was seeing loved it to bits

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Repo is fun camp. Personally in the same boat as you - had some friends who it really clicked with, but I thought it was mostly ok. Feel like it probably aged well enough, it's hard to get too down on something that commits that hard into a specific atheistic.

Brought it up just because there's a couple earworms in it that despite being industrial (or nu metal I guess) are something you could hum to yourself afterwards. Heavy metal music with a lot of grunting is decidedly not that. Probably could be! But not in Mr.Brick's execution.

You can hear some samples of it in the trailer to get a better idea of what I'm trying to detail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jymAJemffE

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I don't know the difference I play folk music mainly

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Just watched Riddle of Fire, and it's something wonderful. Three kids steal a video game system, but can't play it because a sick mother password'd the tv. She tells them she'll give them the password if they go get her some pie and thus begins their quest.

Film is shot beautifully, 16mm and a retro tint that makes it noticeably warm to view. Their journey is episodic, filled with magical and ordinary villains.

Captures something that The Holdover's achieved, though it's probably more niche than that one was. Not quite as cleverly written, but had me chuckling at some of the kid's solutions and grit. Acting is noticeably local talent, but everyone is cast well and honestly when you have kid actors sometimes it's just fun. The heart is there, and ultimately that's what really sells it.

Only has 6.6k logs on letterbox'd, so if any of that sounds interesting to you, go check it out! Deserves a wider audience. First film by this director too.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de9_MMc26Cg

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

That looks awesome. I like child actors, especially if they're hosed up little dudes. Bb guns and a fairy? I'm in

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Traveling through Europe: I shall simply purchase a train ticket to my destination

Traveling through America: Well, I consulted with the three-eyed crone and she said "Best ye not speed through Seguin, lest it be the last place ye are seen" so I guess we need to look out for speed traps after we get through San Antonio.

Lol, lmao if you think you can easily purchase train tickets for a trip across europe

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Europeans got no sense how big a place can be. Continental skeletons litter the world's deserts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You gotta watch his Western, BUCK AND THE PREACHER, though I guess that may be what you were referring to in the other post.

Yeah, that one was good but Belafonte’s hosed up teeth gross me out. Watching these movies made me realize that if Cosby had never been caught Criterion definitely would have done a whole set of Sidney Poitier’s blaxploitation without the exploitation movies instead of just Buck and the Preacher. Taken together it’s very interesting to see Poitier use the format of black movies at the time but insist on giving every black character their dignity.