Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

dee eight posted:

October 1994:

5th - a man hammers his dick flat with a wooden mallet.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

OUR SNEEZE SHIELDS CANNOT REPEL A HUNGER OF THAT MAGNITUDE
Soundgarden proved their grunge supremacy with Superunknown, Alice in Chains did ok with Jar of Flies, and Pearl Jam continued to suck with Vitalogy. Not sure what Nirvana was up to that year.

Also, I don't know what it was like for people who travelled to see Woodstock '94, but it absolutely sucked to actually live in Saugerties during the concert.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
https://www.chicagotribune.com/1994/03/04/affordable-housing-73/

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
[quote="Admiral Snackbar" post="537784560"
Soundgarden proved their grunge supremacy with Superunknown, Alice in Chains did ok with Jar of Flies, and Pearl Jam continued to suck with Vitalogy. Not sure what Nirvana was up to that year.

Also, I don't know what it was like for people who travelled to see Woodstock '94, but it absolutely sucked to actually live in Saugerties during the concert.
[/quote]

I waited in line at a record store for the midnight release of Vitalogy. Yes I bought it on vinyl. I played it about 4 times because gently caress using a record player in 1994. I actually pulled it off the shelf, cleaned it up and gave it a spin only to realize they used really lovely vinyl in the pressing. No way am I pay $50 for new copy.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 14, 2024

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Admiral Snackbar posted:

Not sure what Nirvana was up to that year.
They were on track to do Lollapalooza that summer.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
They also put out the Unplugged cd which was awesome

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Whatever they were doing, I'm sure it was mind blowing.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oh cmon

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I knew an old timer in SF who can proudly boast he never owned a TV back when that meant something. He read roughly a book a day, wrote novels, smoked cigarettes while staring at the ceiling, and other things that didn’t involve posting. People knew how to be bored properly in those days.
Working psych for a bit taught me that way more people than you think need to be unplugged from their screens, fed decent food, kept to a schedule, and regularly engaged in order to get their poo poo together.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
1994 was the last year I was single.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

tango alpha delta posted:

1994 was the last year I was single.

Bumping a two month old thread to get a wifebrag in. Classy.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

:siren:MY WIFE:siren:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The Internet was still cool because the normies didn't use it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Smugworth posted:

thats exactly when they started

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September

once the barrier between aol and the rest of the internet melted away it was all over

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Smugworth posted:

These days the normies don't even realize they're on the internet. They think they're on Facebook and Instagram. They don't realize those are just websites with lovely layouts.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
My first modem was 300 baud and I used to download pirated games for my Commodore 64.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Bumping a 2 month old thread to thiefbrag. The epitome of class.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

in 94 you could just straight up buy a baby with cash now these idiots want crypto

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I liked going over to a friend's house and wondering if they could come out, and then finding out they could or couldn't was like a surprise. Then you go on to the next person's house.

Also we could run around the woods and not worry about getting covered with fuckin ticks.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I liked buying a record that looked cool but since I had no way of hearing it in advance I’d get home and quickly find out it sucked

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

In 1994 we didn't know it was wrong to call people slurs

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

You'd just get up in the morning and your mom would have breakfast ready and you'd say "thanks <slur> for the breakfast, gotta go skateboard to school"

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
In 1994 climate change was mostly an abstract idea with seasons and weather still pretty normal.

First time CO2 and global warming as a concept even registered for me was when I visited the famous Hotel Belvédère by the Rhône Glacier in the Swiss alps while on a roadtrip vacation with my folks. We recognized the place from one of the James Bond movies and stopped for an expensive lunch. At that time the glacier was still plainly visible and it was only a short hike from the hotel, but they had a photo exhibit showing how in the 19th century when the hotel was built, the glacier was an enormous mass of ice right next to it, a spectacular view evident from the old black and white images. There was a famous ice cave in the glacier that you could visit.

( By the time the hotel closed for good in 2016, the glacier had receded by hundreds of meters further up and all that was visible from the hotel was a shallow rocky puddle and a very distant grey and black mass halfway up the mountain. )

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

When I was a kid in the mid 80's we went to the Columbia Icefields here in Canada. There was a parking lot within a stone's throw of a glacier and I even walked on some areas of it. In the late 90's I went back and they made a makeshift parking lot a kilometer up the mountain which was close-ish to the glacier. Now the tip of the glacier is like 2 kilometers from the original parking lot and you can't physically see the tip of the glacier. What you can see when you walk a ton is just a dirty grimy ice pile on a mountain.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
BUT I SAW AN ARTICLE ON FACEBOK THAT SAY ARTIC ICE CAPS ARE AT ALL TIEM HIGH!! WHY WOULD FACEBKO LET FALSE INFORMATION GET PASSED THERE FAKT CHECKERS

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

wesleywillis posted:

I liked going over to a friend's house and wondering if they could come out, and then finding out they could or couldn't was like a surprise. Then you go on to the next person's house.

Also we could run around the woods and not worry about getting covered with fuckin ticks.

Or just look for the house with all the bikes laying down in front of it, that’s where everyone is

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
saw this at 11 years old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nspxAG12Cpc
This was 1994

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Zombie by The Cranberries was real metal to some kids, makes you think

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i was into lots of real metal at the time like entombed and sepultura etc but that cranberries album from that year (no need to argue) was great and still holds up very well imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

I was about 20 and I distinctly recall seeing it on Headbanger's Ball in the 1:55am timeslot. I was in a dark room and it reminded me of the 1st time I heard Black Sabbath. Not that they sounded the same, just that heavy, haunting sound and loud guitars.